• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hollywood East Cafe

iamthestretch

We don't seem to talk that much about Chinese food on the DC board, maybe because most of it is so crappy around here. But lunch today at Hollywood East made me remember how good it can be. They've got a cool menu if you burrow into it and generally have even better specials on the go if you ask. Today, for example, there was shredded five-spice tofu, salt and pepper anchovy and baby cuttlefish in XO sauce. The cooking's also solid enough that you can order standard comfort food like crispy fried shredded beef if you feel like it without setting yourself up for a sloppy, gloppy mess.

They also do a big trade in carry-out roasted meats if you're ever passing by. BBQ roast pork, pork ribs, crispy pork, roasted ducks etc. All the Hong Kong good stuff. There's one particular special order item I've been eyeing for years: Whole Roast Pig -- $168. I've got a big table at home and figure all that would be needed is another nine or so hungry volunteers and about six cases of beer...

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

There's one particular special order item I've been eyeing for years: Whole Roast Pig -- $168. I've got a big table at home and figure all that would be needed is another nine or so hungry volunteers and about six cases of beer...

I'm in :biggrin:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Probably better off to wait until spring and do it outside.

But then again, I'll sit outside and eat a roast pig and drink beer in the snow.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Jeez, one mention of roast pig and suddenly everyone wants into your pants. I will undertake to look into it. Any further announcements will occur, properly, in the "On a whim ... what are you up to? Um, eating roast pork 'till my farts go: 'Oink!'" thread.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.