• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Decanting Port

gidon

I am planning to finally open my Vintage 1932 bottle, but don't want to rush things and spoil years of patience at the last moment. I would like to know the following:

- how long should I let the bottle stand to let the sediment sink? At this moment it's laying flat.

- what's the best way to open the bottle? I'm figuring the cork must be pretty brittle by now.

- should I decant it or not? If so, for how long?

I tried to find answers elsewhere, but am absolutely confused....

Thanks in advance,

Gidon

Absolutely decant -- double decant, in fact.

The oldest port I've had is from the 30s -- what maker is your's?

I would stand the bottle upright at least three days before opening. I would probably use an Ah-So on the cork, if at all brittle. Then, using the candle method, decant once, stopping just before you see sediment. Taste it (take notes).

Let it sit for a half-hour and taste again -- has it changed?

Maybe an hour later, I would decant a second time, again using the candle method.

Taste frequently. See when it begins to change. Take lots of notes on when it started to change and what it was changing to... Depending on the maker, it could open very shortly after decanting or it may take hours. If you want to savor it for a while, wash the bottle out well (or get another clean one) and re-bottle, tasting it every day for a week or month and see where it goes.

Report back and good luck!

I am planning to finally open my Vintage 1932 bottle, but don't want to rush things and spoil years of patience at the last moment. I would like to know the following:

- how long should I let the bottle stand to let the sediment sink? At this moment it's laying flat.

- what's the best way to open the bottle? I'm figuring the cork must be pretty brittle by now.

- should I decant it or not? If so, for how long?

I tried to find answers elsewhere, but am absolutely confused....

Thanks in advance,

Gidon

Hi Gidon,

Are you sure it's a 1932 and not a 1931? I don't think I've ever seen or even heard of a Port from the 1932 vintage, whereas there are still examples of 1931 around.

Assuming it really is a 1932, it might not be very good, unfortunately.

But regardless, I would stand up the bottle a good month in advance (I strongly believe that it takes this long for some of the suspended colloids to unsuspend themselves and fall to the bottom), and simply accept the fact that the cork will crumble and disintegrate if you use a standard corkscrew - you could always heat up the old Port tongs, or try and finesse the cork out with an ah-so, but I'd prepare for the worst. Pour it carefully, slowly, and with one steady, consistent motion rather than tilting the bottle back-and-forth.

Absolutely decant. If it's a 1932, you'll need to begin drinking shortly after decanting (and will only need to decant to leave the sediment behind). If it's a 1931, take a glass after decanting, and if it's in good shape, it should open up nicely for 20-30 minutes (longer if you're fortunate enough to be pouring a Quinta do Noval Nacional).

A mistake people make is to swirl their glasses even when the wine is ancient. If your wine is fragile, one swirl will be enough to coat the sides of the glass, but if you continue to swirl-and-swirl (I even do this with my water), then oxygen might end up being your enemy rather than your friend.

Good luck with it, and please let us know how it was.

Rocks.

Absolutely decant

Personally, I'm against it. Something like this should be enjoyed for all it's worth--from beginning to end.

But, if you must...

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera