• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tampa area recommendations

jhlurie

• 3 weeks later...

There are several brewpubs in the Ybor City area, which is a restored, Soho like area on the east side of Tampa.

We enjoyed lunch at one called Ybor Brewhouse, IIRC.  Choice of 4-5 locals, good Cuban pressed sandwiches. 200-250 mugs hung on numbered pegs on the wall.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I didn't have anything exceptional when I was there, but the consensus from people I've spoken with are that Steakhouses and Cuban food (in Ybor City) are the highlights.

On the other hand, Tampa is far more pleasant than most of the east coast of Florida, so I'd certainly think of returning if I could be assured of eating well.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 2 weeks later...

Tampa's a very nice place to live and work, except for the annual hurricane evacuation from the outer islands.  Has a fine aquarium, no part of the metro is more than a few minutes from the water.

Clearwater and the Beach are wonderful, you can be on your boat five minutes after leaving your office (in requisite sandals and cut-offs).

One of my associates is on a plane bound for Tampa at this very moment, swim trunks and cut-offs packed in his luggage.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Bernini's of Ybor City is a very nice place to have lunch.

Elegant but not stuffy, dress code casual but not scruffy :biggrin:. Apparently it is being touted as "the best place to impress". I didn't know that, but liked the way it looked and was not disappointed.

The woodfired pizzas were pretty good (a bit too much cheese for my liking) but the standout was a dish of clams in a garlic butter sauce. Grrrrrr. :smile: You can *not* have too many of these. Perfectly wonderful. Add a glass of champagne and all is well with the world.