• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotta use a Lettuce Entertain You gift cert

annarborfoodie

We'll be visiting Chicago in a couple of weeks and I have a $50 Lettuce Entertain You gift certificate that I want to use on this trip (it was a Chanukah present last year). I've been to a couple of their restaurants, but I'm interested in hearing suggestions for where we should spend this, either for a Saturday night dinner or Sunday brunch. We're staying at the Hyatt on Wacker and we'd prefer somewhere either within walking distance or within a short cab ride (10-15 minutes)

TIA for any recommendations!

If it were me, here are the LEYE I'd consider hitting (not sure if there are exclusions or not with the gift certificate):

Ambria

Nacional 27

Everest

Brasserie Jo

Tru

Joe's Seafood and Prime Steak House

You can check the full array LEYE offerings at their web site.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Make sure you read the fine print. Depending on which kind of certificate it is, some places may not accept them on Friday or Saturday nights. If by chance you don't get to use it this time, remember that Illinois law stipulates that gift certificates of any type (issued/purchased in IL) never expire, even if there's an expiration date on them. So if you have old "expired" certificates (and this goes for stores too), they're still valid.

I read they have a new restaurant that just opened up.  Maybe you could check it out and tell us all about it.  I read about it on Metromix.com and they have a little preview of it.  It is called Osteria via Stato.

There's a lot of buzz about this place and their sommelier, Belinda Chang, who received many accolades while she was at Fifth Floor in San Francisco.

You can read a mini interview with her in this week's edition of Chicago Magazine's Dish.

=R=

I read they have a new restaurant that just opened up.  Maybe you could check it out and tell us all about it.  I read about it on Metromix.com and they have a little preview of it.  It is called Osteria via Stato.

There's a lot of buzz about this place and their sommelier, Belinda Chang, who received many accolades while she was at Fifth Floor in San Francisco.

You can read a mini interview with her in this week's edition of Chicago Magazine's Dish.

=R=

Does anyone know how casual this place is? The part about the wine list really grabbed my attention! :rolleyes:

=R=

Does anyone know how casual this place is? The part about the wine list really grabbed my attention! :rolleyes:

Seems to be a semi-casual kind of place. I think you would feel comfortable in nice jeans.

=R=

Seems to be a semi-casual kind of place. I think you would feel comfortable in nice jeans.

I stopped in to peek. Maybe one step up from jeans (or REALLY nice jeans).

• 3 months later...

Unfortunately, we never made it to Chicago and that gift certificate is still sitting around unused... but after reading about Osteria via Stato, I'm more inclined to use it there when we finally do make it to Chicago.

if your looking for something a little scaled down, try cafe Ba ba Reeba -> delicious tapas style food

Yes! Extremely under-rated (because it's LEYE?).

=R=

• 1 year later...

Two years later, we finally used the gift certificate at Osteria Via Stato last week and loved it. The one hiccup was that we waited until 8:55 to be seated for our 8:30 reservation, and there were tons of open tables (I realize this probably had to do with servers rather than tables). The service was some of the best I have ever experienced. I was especially impressed that the waiter noticed my husband dabbing at olive oil he had dripped on his sweater, and came over with a salt grinder, napkin, and club soda and gave him directions for getting it out (and it worked!). We did the "dinner party" menu. The highlight was the onions baked with parmesan. It was like french onion soup without the broth. The onions just melted in your mouth. I had the braised short ribs, and my husband had lamb. Both entrees were very good. We tried the homemade gelato for dessert - I liked his gianduja better than my burnt caramel. I would definitely go back, without a gift certificate.