• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Al_Dente

An Ideal Negroni

A gin-heavy negroni with 2 oz pineapple-infused Beefeater gin, 1.5 oz Maragerum amaro, 1 oz Campari.

Negroni with 2 oz pineapple-infused Beefeater gin, 1.5 oz Margerum amaro, 1 oz Campari

Campari + pineapple is always a winning combo. :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A Cardinal with the recipe from A Spot at the Barir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=978-17437ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=174379131, the new cocktail book from Michael Madrusan & Zara Young.

1.5 oz Beefeater London dry gin, 0.75 oz Campari, 0.75 oz Dolin dry vermouth, lemon twist (replaced with a grapefruit twist), served up

Cardinal with 1.5 oz Beefeater London dry gin, 0.75 oz Campari, 0.75 oz Dolin dry vermouth #cocktails #cocktail #craftcocktails #aperitif #campari #gin #londondrygin #aspotatthebar

I enjoyed this a lot! It's obviously less sweet than the equal part sweet vermouth classic Negroni, but still clearly in the same bitter booze-forward family. Very glad I finally tried it! The closest thing I had tried (other than a classic Negroni) is a Lucien Gaudin, but I wasn't a big fan...

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

lesliec   

In the highly unlikely event that nobody's thought of it before, I can report the Perfect Negroni (1 gin, 1 Campari, half each sweet and dry vermouth) has now been attempted.

Not bad - what Negroni is? - but I don't think it's an improvement on a 'real' 1:1:1 Negroni.  I didn't have the two side by side for comparison, but my impression was the perfect version tasted vaguely watery.

On 4/7/2017 at 5:15 AM, lesliec said:

... the perfect version tasted vaguely watery.

Use Punt e Mes for the sweet half. I like the sugar balance of a perfect Negroni.

• Like 2

lesliec   

I heartily endorse Dan's suggestion, having subjected it to practical analysis.

Much better with Punt.

Negroni Sfumato

0.75 oz Sipsmith London dry gin
0.5 oz Punt e Mes
0.5 oz Campari
0.5 oz amaro sfumato rabarbaro

Negroni Sfumato

The sfumato added smoke and rhubarb notes to the classic Negroni. This was gone in no time.

• Like 4