• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An Ideal Negroni

Al_Dente

• 1 month later...

A Cardinal with the recipe from A Spot at the Barir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=978-17437ir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=174379131, the new cocktail book from Michael Madrusan & Zara Young.

1.5 oz Beefeater London dry gin, 0.75 oz Campari, 0.75 oz Dolin dry vermouth, lemon twist (replaced with a grapefruit twist), served up

Cardinal with 1.5 oz Beefeater London dry gin, 0.75 oz Campari, 0.75 oz Dolin dry vermouth #cocktails #cocktail #craftcocktails #aperitif #campari #gin #londondrygin #aspotatthebar

I enjoyed this a lot! It's obviously less sweet than the equal part sweet vermouth classic Negroni, but still clearly in the same bitter booze-forward family. Very glad I finally tried it! The closest thing I had tried (other than a classic Negroni) is a Lucien Gaudin, but I wasn't a big fan...

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

• 3 weeks later...

In the highly unlikely event that nobody's thought of it before, I can report the Perfect Negroni (1 gin, 1 Campari, half each sweet and dry vermouth) has now been attempted.

Not bad - what Negroni is? - but I don't think it's an improvement on a 'real' 1:1:1 Negroni.  I didn't have the two side by side for comparison, but my impression was the perfect version tasted vaguely watery.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My favorite so far is the standard 1:1:1 with Plymouth gin and Cocchi di Torrino vermouth. 

The earthy / leathery qualities of the Plymouth and the spicy qualities of the Cocchi work nicely.  I haven't played with Pune e Mes yet. There are of course too many combinations of interesting gins and vermouths to try in one lifetime. Attempts to do so may even shorten said lifetime.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

• 2 weeks later...

A slight riff I tried over the weekend that I enjoyed:

1 oz St. George Dry Rye gin

1 oz Campari

.5 oz Carpano Antica

.5 oz Cappelletti Pasubio

The Pasubio (yet another amazing offering from Cappelletti, one that I was in the dark about until a recent Astor trip) gave some nice earthy/piney tones, as would be expected. I'd like to push this further into the herbal realm by splitting the Campari with Bruto Americano, and maybe using the Terroir instead of the Dry Rye.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2018 at 2:05 PM, sbumgarner said:

A slight riff I tried over the weekend that I enjoyed:

1 oz St. George Dry Rye gin

1 oz Campari

.5 oz Carpano Antica

.5 oz Cappelletti Pasubio

The Pasubio (yet another amazing offering from Cappelletti, one that I was in the dark about until a recent Astor trip) gave some nice earthy/piney tones, as would be expected. I'd like to push this further into the herbal realm by splitting the Campari with Bruto Americano, and maybe using the Terroir instead of the Dry Rye.

I went ahead and tried augmenting this with my above suggestions:

.5oz St George Dry Rye gin

.5oz St George Terroir gin

.5oz Campari

.5oz Bruto Americano

.5oz Punt E Mes

.5oz Cappelletti Pasubio

Bruto tends to be a dominant force in any drink it enters, and the same held true here, but it was pretty good if you like those bitter herbaceous flavors.

• 5 months later...
8 hours ago, paulraphael said:

What's Cocchi Rosa? How does it taste compared with Cocchi di Torino vermouth (which is my fave)?

The name might more properly be Cocchi Americano Rosa, not really sure. I'd say it has more in common with Cocchi Americano than with the vermouth. which is also my favorite vermouth for a Negroni. 

Rosa starts with a red wine (not white as in Cocchi Americano) but the herbs, etc. used to infuse it are light and floral rather than warm and woody like in a vermouth. The website identifies gentian, ginger, rose and citrus, all of which I can taste.  Not sure what else is in there.  I've read that it's a little more bitter than Cocchi Americano but I haven't tasted them side by side.

I quite like it.  On its own, over ice, or with soda, tonic or as a spritzer with a brut rosé. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Tonight tried a Quill, which is a Negroni plus a 1/4 oz. of absinthe. 

The other day I'd made a drink with 1/4 oz. of absinthe which was wholly overpowered by it, so I was tempted to cut it back. But I guessed that the Campari would keep it in check and that proved correct. I liked this quite a bit.

quill 1.png

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 1/23/2018 at 11:33 AM, paulraphael said:

My favorite so far is the standard 1:1:1 with Plymouth gin and Cocchi di Torrino vermouth. 

The earthy / leathery qualities of the Plymouth and the spicy qualities of the Cocchi work nicely.  I haven't played with Pune e Mes yet. There are of course too many combinations of interesting gins and vermouths to try in one lifetime. Attempts to do so may even shorten said lifetime.

New Favorite: Ford's gin instead of Plymouth. It has the low notes and the body and the oily mouthfeel of Plymouth, but more juniper. Really good stuff. I'm looking forward to trying the navy strength version.

Still 1:1:1 with Cocchi di Torino.

As posted elsewhere, I've been drinking a variation of this fromnot-yet-clean empty jars of Wilkin & Son's Tawny Orange Marmalade. This might be my favorite thing ever. And not just because of the lion.

tawny negroni.jpg

• Like 2

Notes from the underbelly