• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An Ideal Negroni

Al_Dente

I could drink something like that!  (Isn't three teaspoons = 15ml =  ½ oz?)

Um, yeah, the name though ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I could drink something like that!  (Isn't three teaspoons = 15ml =  ½ oz?)

Um, yeah, the name though ...

Yes, I guess that's the conversion for the US teaspoons & oz I used.

Happy for name suggestions before I add it to KC.

Interested to hear what you think if you try it.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

So many places I could post this one so I chose perhaps the most tenuous. But I really think of it as a Negroni variation in spite of ... well...

YANV#1 (provisional name)

1 oz London Dry gin (I used a Sapphire knockoff)

1 oz Fernet Branca

3 teaspoons vermouth (Dolin red)

3 teaspoons Campari

1 teaspoon simple (2:1 because Campari is sweeter than Fernet)

3 dashes Peychaud's bitters

Stir, strain, garnish with lemon twist

Finally got to it, Haresfur.

It's a good 'un if you can handle the Fernet, which plays very interestingly with the gin (mine, of course). I used a teaspoon of 1:1 syrup because it was there and didn't feel any lack of sweetness.

Where did YANV come from, anyway? Am I missing a cultural reference? It wouldn't be the first time ...

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

Finally got to it, Haresfur.

It's a good 'un if you can handle the Fernet, which plays very interestingly with the gin (mine, of course). I used a teaspoon of 1:1 syrup because it was there and didn't feel any lack of sweetness.

Where did YANV come from, anyway? Am I missing a cultural reference? It wouldn't be the first time ...

Glad you liked it. Of course sweetness is to taste.  I tried it with varying amounts until it was way too sweet and judged by where I felt the gin came forward and wasn't lost in the bitter. But I have a bit of a sweet tooth, as much as I like bitter, too.

Yet Another Negroni Variation (internet geek cultural reference)

Considering North Beach Negroni because San Francisco, Fernet, Italian/beatnik neighbourhood where I had some good times.

Edited by haresfur (log)

I made this for myself tonight. I made it with a tsp. 1:1 simple because that's what I had on hand, but I think I'd try the spec'd 2:1 next time. Had the same reaction as lesliec: the Fernet obviously dominates, but the stuff underneath it happily doesn't get lost. 

This must be the most adventurous drink that my wife has liked.

• Like 1

I made this for myself tonight. I made it with a tsp. 1:1 simple because that's what I had on hand, but I think I'd try the spec'd 2:1 next time. Had the same reaction as lesliec: the Fernet obviously dominates, but the stuff underneath it happily doesn't get lost. 

A fun experiment is to start with the gin and Fernet, taste, add the Campari taste, add the vermouth, taste, then add sugar and taste.

• Like 1

I wasn't game to try it on mine! She has a very low Fernet tolerance ...

My eG Foodblog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This Negroni variation with Byrrh as the base still had a lot of punch. At first it's Suze's woody bitterness that comes through. After a few sips though, it becomes very harmonious and, unexpectedly, coffee notes start to emerge.

Violet Negroni (Mathieu Sabbagh via Diffords) with Byrrh, Tanqueray London dry gin, Suze.

22957775635_78eb09710a_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Craig E said:

The Ultimate Negroni Guide is a fun read, with tasting notes and ratings of just about every variation you can imagine. 

Only a few days 'til Negroni Week!

Thanks!  I have not tried the Oaxaca Negroni (love the Oaxaca OF) or a Negroni Sbagliato.  I'm currently in need of some specific, measurable, attainable, yada yada xD goals so perhaps a different Negroni variation for each day of Negroni Week would fit the bill xD.

I recall you had some great Negroni Happy Hours planned last year.  Are you doing something this year?

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link (log)

1 hour ago, Craig E said:

The Ultimate Negroni Guide is a fun read, with tasting notes and ratings of just about every variation you can imagine. 

It's a cool guide, but I have to point out that this current thread has at least as many variations! :)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I recall you had some great Negroni Happy Hours planned last year.  Are you doing something this year?

Good memory! I have some menu ideas for a reprise, though whether it happens this year will depend on whether my wife,  recovering from minor surgery, will be up to running the "front of the house."

• Like 1

On 26/05/2016 at 2:50 AM, Craig E said:

Thanks for posting that, Craig. As a result, tonight's drink was an Oaxacan Negroni.  Wonderful (and now posted on Kindred).

Edited by lesliec
Added link. (log)
  • Like 1

My eG Foodblog

• 4 months later...

A Quill which is a Negroni variation with a dash of absinthe. 33 Portland dry gin, Campari, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, St. George absinthe.

I put in a couple of sprays of absinthe but will have a heavier hand next time as you could barely detect it.

Quill with 33 Portland dry gin, Campari, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, St. George absinthe

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Handy, Not Handsome

1:1:1 citrusy gin, Campari, nocino

I built it on a big ice sphere which was a good thing because my nocino is pretty potent and I couldn't find my measuring glass so it ended up large and I ended up sleepy. The name is a Red Green chain of consciousness thing. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Going through the backlog...

The Black Stallion Sets Sail (John Parra & Kyle Hankin via Punch) with Cruzan blackstrap rum, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Fernet-Branca, Campari, saline solution. It's inspired by the Giuseppe Gonzalez' version of the Jungle Bird, which isn't necessarily a good thing in my book. The blackstrap tends to be cloying in combination with Campari...

The Black Stallion Sets Sail (John Parra & Kyle Hankin via Punch) with Cruzan blackstrap rum, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Fernet-Branca, Campari, saline solution #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #rum #negroni #fernet #fernetbranca

In the mood for a White Negroni, I realized as I was making the drink that I didn't have any Lillet on hand! I used a dry sherry instead, and the drink turned out great. This particular sherry gives some depth to the drink with nuts and dried fruit flavors.

White Negroni variation with 33 Portland dry gin, Suze, and Lustau Los Arcos amontillado sherry.

White Negroni variation with 33 Portland dry gin, Suze, and Lustau amontillado sherry

5 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

White Negroni variation with 33 Portland dry gin, Suze, and Lustau Los Arcos amontillado sherry

Sounds very good.....then again, I swoon every time I see those cocktail glasses so my judgement may be imperfect :D

• Like 1

A Negroni variation with 33 Portland dry gin, Campari, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, amaro Ciociaro. Amaro Ciociaro is delicious stuff, and it's great on its own too. This was inspired by the A-Frame but with Torino vermouth instead of Chinatto.  

Negroni variation with 33 Portland dry gin, Campari, Cocchi vermouth di Torino, amaro Ciociaro #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #negroni #gin #campari #ciociaro

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Mela d'Alba (Apple Brandy Negroni), recently on Serious Eats, as it appears in Gary Regan's The Negroni and created by Andrew Friedman of Liberty Bar in Seattle.

IMG_4021.jpg

A nice fall Negroni variation.  

The choice of sweet vermouth is not specified.  I tried Punt e Mes but it ganged up with the Campari and overwhelmed the Lairds.  I think Carpano Antica might  play nicely here and I'll give it a try next.

• Like 2