• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The New Orleans Gambit covers eGullet

Mayhaw Man

Dammit Brooks, how many times do we have to tell you to put yourself together before you meet with media people? You look like you just walked out of the Quarter at 4AM.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Good Article and we certainly appreciate your efforts as forum host and mod,you do look a lil rough there Brooks :laugh:

Dave s

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

Dammit Brooks, how many times do we have to tell you to put yourself together before you meet with media people? You look like you just walked out of the Quarter at 4AM.

It is important to look like a native. Semi sober, bad hair, expensive jacket.

I don't live in L.A. I live in LA. (copyright BH-2004) :wink:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

But Jason, that would mean he would have to take time away from eG. :biggrin:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

It is important to  look like a native. Semi sober, bad hair, expensive jacket.

I don't live in L.A. I live in LA.  (copyright BH-2004) :wink:

Every A-Frame had your number on the wall

You must have had it all

You'd go to LA on a dare

And you'd go it alone

Could you live forever?

Could you see the day?

Could you feel your whole world fall apart and fade away?

(- Donald Fagen)

Nice piece, Brooks (and I don't mean the hair).

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Damn, Brooks! I was just thinking you clean up pretty good! :raz::laugh: They could have gotten hold of your old avatar pic! :laugh:

"If I had known how much of my time and effort eGullet was going to suck up, I would have deleted the link and never gone back," says Brooks Hamaker, who moderates the boards dedicated to Louisiana, beer and Southern food culture. "The place really draws you in."

Nice article -- and we're lucky you're not psychic too! :biggrin:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

The worst part was that all you guys have in your office are Macs. Not a proper pc in the place. :hmmm::laugh: And I was hoping to be able to pose with a giant bag of Cheetos and a bunch of empty cans of Mountain Dew, just like any real geek. Although in my case, I would have been more accurately posed with a giant cuppa Community Dark Roast and an oyster po boy. :wink:

Tom Fitzmorris seems to be catching a fair amount of crap for dumping on the anonymous users that frequent his website. I thought his sentiment was pretty much spot on, although a bit on the hard side towards his users, considering how many anonymous users that he has. I also notice that there is no reference to it, that I can find, (and there was on Sunday night-posted by an anonymous user, of course) on his website.

The other guys in the article seem pretty thrilled, judging by that amount of traffic that it has generated on their sites.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

The worst part was that all you guys have in your office are Macs. Not a proper pc in the place.  :hmmm:  :laugh:

The other guys in the article seem pretty thrilled, judging by that amount of traffic that it has generated on their sites.

HA! You're not gonna believe this, but the first thing I noticed in that picture was that you were using a Mac!

I have received a little traffic from the article. I'm surprised at how many hits that have come directly from the "internet" version of the article. Anyway, I thought it was a great article. To be fair, I did give Todd a hard time on the TF board about just moving into the area. I just haven't seen him in person yet to rag on him about it.

Kevin

Notes from a New Orleans Foodie

Hey, what's wrong with Macs? As a freelancer, though, I've got nothing to do with the technology used at the Gambit office.

And Kevin, I'm deeply hurt by your abuse. When we finally meet in person I'm going to demand that you buy me a beer. [i would add one of these smilies if I could figure out how to do it in the "fast reply" box.]

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Very nice article, I enjoyed reading it. I clicked through to Chowhound as I'd never been there before. Interestingly, they distinguish between "chowhounds" and dislike "foodies". Hmmmm..... but that's probably another topic for another thread....

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"