• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pagosa Springs at XMas

I've been to a very good family-run Mexican restaurant in Durango several times. Very good chile verde and excellent margaritas with fresh lime juice for the adults...

The same family owns a restaurant in Pagosa Springs--so that might be good... I haven't eaten at the Pagosa Springs restaurant though just seen it driving thru and mentioned at their restaurant in Durango...

Here's the address:

Tequila's Family Mexican Restaurant

439 San Juan St.

Pagosa Springs, CO 81147

Phone: 970-264-9989

Description: Authentic Mexican food, including various seafood dishes, pollo asado, fajitas, t-bone ranchero, combination plates. Foods sure to please all family members, alcholic and non-alcholic beverages, desserts and appetizers.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

If you're swinging into Durango, go to Ken & Sue's on Main Street for your fine dining experience.

Check out this run-down:

Durango, CO Eats

Pagosa Springs

Edited by rlm (log)

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

If you're swinging into Durango, go to Ken & Sue's on Main Street for your fine dining experience.

Check out this run-down:

Durango, CO Eats

Pagosa Springs

For Durango, finer dining, I'd recommend Seasons. Delicous grilled meat dishes with some inventive but not over the top twists. Nice wine list; have eaten there several times and never been disappointed. (They have a few restaurants, one in Abq also--always good).

After or before dinner swing by the real old West bar at the Strater Hotel for drinks.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Check out this run-down:

Durango, CO Eats

Pagosa Springs

For Durango, finer dining, I'd recommend Seasons. Delicous grilled meat dishes with some inventive but not over the top twists. Nice wine list; have eaten there several times and never been disappointed. (They have a few restaurants, one in Abq also--always good).

After or before dinner swing by the real old West bar at the Strater Hotel for drinks.

Thanks for the tips. I had forgotten about the Seasons in Durango (I thought they'd closed the ones in Ariz. and Col.).

It's really funny that you mention Seasons. I might be coming back to Albuquerque late on the 24th If I do I'll join friends for dinner or at least dessert at Seasons here. It's beginning to look like a Seasons season.

Thanks for the links. Durango looks  a whole lot more promising than Pagosa. How far a drive is it between the two?

It's about 60 miles between the two. It's a very scenic drive, I've only driven it during the day. Can't recall if it would be too challenging for driving at night; I think not but then that would also depend on the weather...

• 4 weeks later...

sorry you missed us

smoked salmon caviar-young potato salad-creme fraiche-pickled mustard seeds

warm dungeness crabmeat-animal farm butter-smoked apple sauce-preserved yuzu

grilled snake river farms flank steak-buttered cabbage and forest mushroom fricasse-pickled gingerketchup sauce

vanillla bourbon-mint tappioca-frozen hot chocolate-peppermint candy-white chocolate bark

h. alexander talbot

chef and author

Levittown, PA

ideasinfood

• 1 month later...

Hi chowguy,

Did you find anything interesting up in Pagosa Springs/Durango over the holdays?