• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portable Gas Burner for Hurricanes

robyn

Tomorrow is the end of hurricane season - and I was finally able to get a portable gas burner. For next hurricane season. Or some outdoor cooking. Or if I want to play around cooking with a gas burner (I have an electric stove).

Came in the mail today - and it's very well designed. Works fine. Would be useful whenever you lose power and can't cook on an electric stove. By the way - I ordered this directly from the manufacturer. The prices and service were both good. Robyn

Tomorrow is the end of hurricane season - and I was finally able to get a portable gas burner.  For next hurricane season.  Or some outdoor cooking.  Or if I want to play around cooking with a gas burner (I have an electric stove).

Came in the mail today - and it's very well designed.  Works fine.  Would be useful whenever you lose power and can't cook on an electric stove.  By the way - I ordered this directly from the manufacturer.  The prices and service were both good.  Robyn

Should have bought one of these. I'll vouch for it being the best investment I ever made. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...MainCatcat20075

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I have one of those, Robyn, and they work great, although they go through the gas pretty quickly, so I would reccomend stocking up.

And Winsonoma's reference to Cabela's website gives me yet another chance to reccomend that place. Their outdoor cooking equipment never fails. You can bet that if it is in that catalog, it is going to be some high quality stuff. I have a meat grinder that I bought from them years ago and have been misusing ever since. That thing would grind a radial tire into a tasty link.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I have one of those, Robyn, and they work great, although they go through the gas pretty quickly, so I would reccomend stocking up.

And Winsonoma's reference to Cabela's website gives me yet another chance to reccomend that place. Their outdoor cooking equipment never fails. You can bet that if it is in that catalog, it is going to be some high quality stuff. I have a meat grinder that I bought from them years ago and have been misusing ever since. That thing would grind a radial tire into a tasty link.

Brooks, can you tell us what you use it for? And when you say they go through fuel quickly, is there a way of quantifying "quickly"? I have thought about getting one of these just for the joy of occasionally cooking with gas instead of electricity! Is it a reasonable "spare burner" say, for making a quick saute and pan sauce?

Thanks.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I had one at my beach house-it looks similar to what you bought, Robyn, except it was called "Mr. Stove." I used it frequently during power outages; I once made a stew & simmered it for hours without going through the fuel. I could boil water & cook pasta. They cook surprisingly hot, but I used to cook right on a laminate countertop with it, and the countertop stayed cool. I've also used it for tabletop cooking.

Hurricanes, power failures, earthquakes, Mongolian hot pot, party buffet table-pretty much everyone could find a use for one of these at one time or another.

Hmmm, something else you never knew you needed until you read eGullet. eGullet, good for the economy. :rolleyes:

Anna,

I use it for exactly what Robyn bought it for. I live in an old house in a very rural area and there are giant long leaf pines and huge live oak trees all the way down the road on both sides. The power goes out all the time. It's actually kind of crazy how mush it goes out. Tree limbs fall and out go the lights.

When I said that you need some back up gas, I was talking about when you are depending on it in a weather situation (such as Robyn and I both have in our part of the world). It will do pretty much whatever you want for a few nights (how's that for exactly :hmmm: ), but if it is going to be all you have, you will need some back up.

We use it for buffet stuff occasionally, and on low it will run a really long time. They are dependable and suprisingly, 8700 btus will do some serious cooking if you really want to. I have made roux on the thing a couple of times and that worked out just fine..

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Anna,

I use it for exactly what Robyn bought it for. I live in an old house in a very rural area and there are giant long leaf pines and huge live oak trees all the way down the road on both sides. The power goes out all the time. It's actually kind of crazy how mush it goes out. Tree limbs fall and out go the lights.

When I said that you need some back up gas, I was talking about when you are depending on it in a weather situation (such as Robyn and I both have in our part of the world). It will do pretty much whatever you want for a few nights (how's that for exactly :hmmm: ), but if it is going to be all you have, you will need some back up.

We use it for buffet stuff occasionally, and on low it will run a really long time. They are dependable and suprisingly, 8700 btus will do some serious cooking if you really want to. I have made roux on the thing a couple of times and that worked out just fine..

Many thanks, Brooks. Too late to add it to my Santa list this year but there's always next year.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I'll let Jason or someone else come along to do the proper link, but FYI-these currently cost about $60. at Amazon (via cooking.com.) The butane cannisters are 4/$18.-which is about a lifetime supply.

Sure, marie-louise for all you lucky US residents! Unfortunately, I am in Canada and between shipping, taxes, custom duties (if they would even ship fuel!) it's not so easy - but many thanks for the information anyway. :smile:

My 2004 eG Blog

I'll let Jason or someone else come along to do the proper link, but FYI-these currently cost about $60. at Amazon (via cooking.com.) The butane cannisters are 4/$18.-which is about a lifetime supply.

Sure, marie-louise for all you lucky US residents! Unfortunately, I am in Canada and between shipping, taxes, custom duties (if they would even ship fuel!) it's not so easy - but many thanks for the information anyway. :smile:

They don't sell these in Canada??? :shock: I actually got mine at a department store (Macy's) cookware department. This could be a new business venture for someone up there!

They don't sell these in Canada??? :shock: I actually got mine at a department store (Macy's) cookware department. This could be a new business venture for someone up there!

I am sure they are available here (or at least something similar). I simply meant that we cannot order them from Amazon.com at the excellent price US residents get. Most things are much more expensive here even with the falling dollar!

Thanks.

My 2004 eG Blog

I bought mine directly from the manufacturer in Nevada - and you might click on the link I gave above and see what the story is for Canadian residents. If you pay with a credit card - will probably work out ok. Robyn

• 5 months later...

Well a birthday rolled around again and at last I have my table-top butane cooker! So far, no table-top cooking but I am so impressed that I can cook with gas that I would switch out my electric range for a gas one tomorrow if it was feasible! (It is isn't - neither financially nor practically.) But the responsiveness is just so great. Pans heat up instantly, sauces reduce quickly, meat browns evenly. Yippee - I love it. Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement. And it was only $30 Cdn. Hmmmmmmm - for some of you, hurricane season is in the offing - might be worth a thought to get one of these things.

My 2004 eG Blog

Ditto on the hurricane season comment. They were completely sold out last hurricane season - and I had to wait until after Thanksgiving to buy one. Now I'm prepared <sigh>. Robyn

Another thing you might consider is one of the turkey fryers.

They have their own stands plus a stockpot but will easily hold a large cast iron skillet or similar vessel and work off a regular propane tank which is far cheaper than the small cannisters of gas.

Following the '94 earthquake when we had no power as well as no gas (gas lines ruptured) for several days, my neighbors and I pooled our equipment as I have a large commercial portable propane stove and two of the turkey fryers plus another burner on a tall stand for a wok.

I have seen the turkey fryers for as little as $49. US, without the propane tank but those can even be rented. Being able to cook up gallons of soup or chili makes it easy to feed a bunch of people when supplies are limited and is also a way to use up frozen stuff that is not going to last.

Of course we use them, even when there is no emergency, for our neighborhood parties. A lot of hot dogs can be boiled in the pot - also a lot of corn. My neighbors also use one for making large batches of tamale.

One great advantage is that the stand is low enough that one can reach into the pot without standing on tiptoe and the wide base means it is not easy to tip over.

Now almost all of my neighbors have them, since Home Depot had a sale last fall, so we are set for anything that comes along.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I wouldn't be without my tabletop butane burner! I use it indoors in cool seasons for shabu shabu and suchlike, and outdoors (often!) in hot weather for all kinds of regular cooking.

They are under $20. in Asian markets. The new one bought a few months ago, replacing our original Super Ninja after years of hard use, was I think $14.99 at 99 Ranch -- butane canisters are under $4. for a four-pack.

While I lament the passing of the Super Ninja the new Joyful Cook has way increased BTUs and a slightly improved burner design.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

• 7 years later...

I've been thinking about getting a burner/stove for emergencies and have questions about the fuel types. I see propane and butane containers pretty commonly and I wonder how well they store and for how long. I don't want to need them and find they're empty. My garage here in Phoenix can get to 126°+ in the summer and I am concerned about fire safety. (I definitely do not want to store charcoal.) I could store a limited amount of fuel inside the house, maybe a few bottles.It's dry here and with the high heat, certain things wear out a lot faster: batteries, elastic, and rubber gaskets all come to mind.

I was reading about solid fuel tablets, but reviews of systems that use them keep mentioning that they leave a lot of residue.

I have standard commercial chafing dishes for catering, and keep fuel for those in my laundry room, a sort of compromise between the garage and indoors proper. Once again, space there is limited.

Can anyone list the advantages/disadvantages of the various types of fuel and what's best for reliable long term storage?

I have two butane stoves, and keep a dozen cans/bottles/cartridges of butane around at all times (life in earthquake country). I feel very comfortable storing them in the house, seeing as how butane is used as a propellant in things like spray-on deodorant and hairspray.

Why the aversion to storing charcoal? You wouldn't believe how much charcoal I have on hand... :laugh:

If you have room to cook outside, and a supply of dry twigs nearby, you may want to consider buying or making a rocket stove -- https://www.google.com/search?q=rocket+stove -- a good low-tech solution, a bit bulky, but can heat a very large pot of water or food.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

As Hurricane Sandy hits my old home states of MA and RI, I have to say that my commercial butane stove and charcoal grill saved us during Hurricane Bob, when we were without electricity for 2 weeks. I swear by the burner not just for emergencies, but for parties and outdoor cooking. Lisa, I have a small Weber Q here in Tucson and leave the propane canisters in my garage, no problem.

Here's why I don't want to store a bunch of charcoal just for emergencies: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2169/will-charcoal-self-ignite-if-wet -Even dry, the oxidation rate in my 126°+ garage could spell big trouble. I do plan on getting a Weber kettle to make grilled pizza and may occasionally have some charcoal around, bu I won't be storing a 2-3 week supply for emergencies.

Thanks for the reassurance about the propane, I do have a yard but not much access to twigs. Since I do have space in the garage and the back patio, I think I'll look at full sized grills instead of those dinky portable camping/emergency stoves.

Some valid points there; peace of mind should not be disregarded when storing combustibles, I suppose. :smile: FWIW, I keep my abundant supply of lump charcoal in roll-around 55-gal. garbage cans, stored in the shade. If they ever did ignite, luckily it's away from the house!

I have two Weber grills, a small gas grill, the two butane stoves (I'm thinking you probably should NOT store propane tanks in an unconditioned garage, and especially a house), and enough firewood and charcoal to roast a herd of passing cattle. The Weber grill would be the first thing I'd go to if I wanted to whip up a meal without power...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

So, for storage in the un-airconditioned garage, you would prefer butane?

Please note that I would be cooking out in the yard or on the patio, so, ventilation is not an issue. I'm just concerned about storing something that might get used once every 5 years.

My preference for a portable stove is the Coleman 425 liquid fuel camp stove. Mine is 30-40 years old and pretty much bullet proof. They don't make them like they used to (who does?), so I would check garage sales before buying one new.

http://amzn.com/B001D22TQC

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.