• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portable Gas Burner for Hurricanes

robyn

I'm in earthquake country so the cause of a disaster may be different but the need to be prepared remains the same. I have a propane BBQ on my patio and in the garage I have both a turkey fryer and a 3-burner propane stove (free-standing 30,000 BTU per burner) and my old Coleman table-top 3-burner stove. I have multiple 5 gallon propane tanks stored out on my patio to power them all. I also could drag out my 8-burner event grill if neighbors had meat defrosting that they needed a way of cooking up. Because of the Renaissance Faire kitchens my DW and I run (as volunteers) I have shelves full of pots, pans, hotel pans, bowls, whatever in the garage as well . The thing I do need ot store more of is water. 6 gallons for 2 people seems a little light.

Anyway, I am a major believer in propane for emergency preparedness. Coleman and Camp Chef are my go-to brands. And don't forget to have one or two of the long-reach butane lighters for lighting the stoves, etc.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I guess I should also mention that I'm kind of afraid to buy a cheap burner at an Asian market. With all of the food related scandals coming out of China over the past decade or so, I fear shoddy workmanship which could result in a fire if I try to use it. I'd rather just buy a real grill for around $150 and know that it's been tested.

I guess I should also mention that I'm kind of afraid to buy a cheap burner at an Asian market. With all of the food related scandals coming out of China over the past decade or so, I fear shoddy workmanship which could result in a fire if I try to use it. I'd rather just buy a real grill for around $150 and know that it's been tested.

Here buy this one

http://www.amazon.com/GAS-ONE-Portable-Stove-List/dp/B001TF8UY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351627536&sr=8-1&keywords=japanese+gas+stove

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Based on all the reviews, that seems like a good unit. I have had mine for 10 years (15?) no problems.

I use it regularly. Put a ceramic plate on it on low fire, keeps food warm/hot the entirwe meal.

dcarch

Propane cooking is illegal in Manhattan? It burns almost as clear or the same as natural gas. I don't get it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Well, you can't use it on a balcony, terrace or roof. Or in a dwelling that houses more than 2 households. That would rule out 90% of the city.

Nor can you transport it through the Holland or Lincoln Tunnels. Not easy to get.

Nor can you have an open flame 10 ft from a flammable surface. Etc.

Here buy this one

http://www.amazon.co...anese gas stove

Looks good. I would like to mention that I visited my local Ace Hardware today and noticed that the butane canisters have warning on them stating they should not be stored at temps above 120°. That said, they are pretty compact and the burner looks good, so I'll probably carve out some space on the laundry room shelves for a couple of burners and a 6 pack of fuel. -And store the fuel in a Camwear Polycarbonate Food Storage Container just to be safe.

Based on all the reviews, that seems like a good unit. I have had mine for 10 years (15?) no problems.

I use it regularly. Put a ceramic plate on it on low fire, keeps food warm/hot the entirwe meal.

dcarch

Great to know this dcarch, I was just thinking about buying a unit like the one you showed, or the Iwatani as I already stock Iwatani canisters for the torch. I was thinking in fondues or searing meats "on the fly" at the table, but keeping food warm is another great use.

Are these type of units also strong enough for real cooking with then if needed?

dcarch

Great to know this dcarch, I was just thinking about buying a unit like the one you showed, or the Iwatani as I already stock Iwatani canisters for the torch. I was thinking in fondues or searing meats "on the fly" at the table, but keeping food warm is another great use.

Are these type of units also strong enough for real cooking with then if needed?

No, you can't cook on them like regular stoves, but plenty good for light duty cooking, about 1/2 the fire power of a regular stove.

Many Chinese hot pot restaurants use the same type, which is much cheaper, about $20.00 each.

dcarch

Here's why I don't want to store a bunch of charcoal just for emergencies: http://www.straightd...f-ignite-if-wet -Even dry, the oxidation rate in my 126°+ garage could spell big trouble. I do plan on getting a Weber kettle to make grilled pizza and may occasionally have some charcoal around, bu I won't be storing a 2-3 week supply for emergencies.

Thanks for the reassurance about the propane, I do have a yard but not much access to twigs. Since I do have space in the garage and the back patio, I think I'll look at full sized grills instead of those dinky portable camping/emergency stoves.

Hmm, I know plenty of BBQ people who buy charcoal by the pallet and store it in unheated garages/barns. Can't say I've ever heard of spontaneous combustion of charcoal, ever. Yes, under precisely ideal circumstances, it could ignite, but the chances are extremely low. I have 7-8 big bags on hand at any given time in my unheated garage in subtropical humidity....no problems. If you worry about every theoretical possibility, you'd never get out of bed in the AM.

Regarding propane cooking equip, check out Bayou Classic. Wide range of different burners, from jet to banjo and everything in between...including this awesomeness, the mobile, heavy-duty, outdoor deep fryer with v-bottom for easy cleaning. In case your post hurricane plans including feeding the entire volunteer fire department a whole mess of hot wings or fried fish. Hey, you never know...

Here are some off-the-grid cooking solutions:

wood gas stove - very cool technology, burns clean practically no smoke and uses a variety of natural wood materials (even coconut shells!)

volcano grill, or for off grid baking I'm wishing for a green egg soon

thermal cooker, again efficient... less fuel good in combo with wood gas stove...

www.eatthesun.com