• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet.org in "Vancouver" magazine

Ling

In the early hours of last Friday morning, rather drunk, I told Mr Maw how much I admired his writing and that I wished we had someone as knowledgeable and talented as him writing about restaurants in the UK. I'm glad to have the opportunity to repeat the sentiment while perfectly sober and to thank him for one of the best articles I have read about eGullet. File under:Makes It All Worthwhile.

P.S. Mr. Maw , the quote re: chowhound looking like " cavemen drawings " was mine.

Ha ha! I'm coming down to the HSG later today with a Sharpie marker and changing your menus, "Head Chef - Keith Talent". When I read the caveman comment I suspected I must be sleep-posting, as it was the first time I'd heard it. (Wish I had though, it's a good analogy).

Cheers

Thats a great peice, Jamie. Thanks for writing it and being part of our community!

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Makes It All Worthwhile.

I thought you were here for the employee health care package. :laugh:

I think Andy summed it up well. It's nice to see the growth in membership and quality of material posted, but as someone who's been involved in the organization of the site, it's heartwarming to see an appreciation expressed in print. Thank you for that Jamie. You're welcome to the enjoyment you get out of the Society. Most of all, we look forward to your continued involvement in the site.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Thank you one and all. My goodness. I can’t even leave town for a couple of days without invoking untrammeled (and largely undeserved) praise?

Undeserved because the thoughts and insights that I shared with you (and with those who have somehow managed to lead a life thus far ignorant of eGullet) are drawn from you. In short, the article essentially wrote itself, one night when I was otherwise engaged. But I do thank you very much for your kind remarks—they mean a lot to me.

Almost as much as your friendship and collegiality. Writing can be a sometime lonely pastime, but surely not here.

And over time I hope that articles like this attract new discussion and debate here, and new debaters.

Cheers aye,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Ok , I just got my Van Mag. Let the phone ring , do not disturb, I am reading  !

Jamie ,

Great article , a real good read

A crazy amount of lurkers in the last couple of days ! I am thinking everyone wants to see what the hub bub is all about. Be careful ! Once the gullet lures you in, there is no getting out. You will browse and come across an article that gets you going. Once you dip your toe in the water, you might as well jump in.

Hope everyone signs up.

P.S. Mr. Maw , the quote re: chowhound looking like " cavemen drawings " was mine. Nice mentions of HSG at start and end of article but this would have given you a chance to mention me in the middle as well :rolleyes: We only have 5600 posts. ( and climbing at an alarming rate - I think that our board is one of the most active in the world aside from New York )

Cheers

Neil " potatoe head" Wyles :biggrin:

Neil,

You are a good sport. Sincere apologies for the misattribution. It must have been some sort of weird brain gas promulgated by over-flossing. Or maybe it was because Keith was awarded the "Poster Boy of the Year" award and all eyes were on him when he stepped up to accept the trophy during the Big Night proceedings. We all made such a fuss that perhaps I mistakenly thought that all wit must flow from him. Anyway, I punished my guilt-racked self last night by having an additional cleansing ale.

Now I've got to get back to cleaning out the cave, man.

J.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Jamie:

Excellent!! My thanks and applause for summing it all up so well. That is one great piece of writing and one great piece of PR for the site. Well done!!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol