• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGullet.org in "Vancouver" magazine

Ling

Is there no computer genius out there to post this stuff. We can all cook a potatoe 10,000 ways but can anybody post this article. Do we have to wait for Jamie to bail us out ? My Van Mag will arrive next week and I can't wait that long. Oh , I know what you are thinking - " Hey Neil, why don't you post it "

Cuz I do steaks and chicken and that's it ! :raz:

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

As much as we like to see eG's name in lights, we also respect copyright -- so we don't allow either the verbatim posting of article text or scanned images of articles on the site.

Once a link on a web site goes up though, its open season. :laugh:

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Is there no computer genius out there to post this stuff. We can all cook a potatoe 10,000 ways but can anybody post this article. Do we have to wait for Jamie to bail us out ? My Van Mag will arrive next week and I can't wait that long. Oh , I know what you are thinking - " Hey Neil, why don't you post it "

Cuz I do steaks and chicken and that's it ! :raz:

Just back from the Olde Sod where Andy Lynes and I and others went through the shrubbery backwards at a high rate of knots but also managed to eat quite well. Andy has posted an excellent and comprehensive description of David Hawksworth's triumphal demonstration (on behalf of the Canadian Tourism Commission) on the UK Forum. Solid group of culinary media present and David and his team did very well indeed.

The electronic version of the article about eGullet appears next week on the Van Mag website.

Finally, Dan Quayle would like his spelling book back Neil.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Hey, wait a second. I can post the article, because [Jason, kindly note], the words are mine. Here then, the first several paragraphs . . .

Diner

Bytes and Bites

How the international culinary website—eGullet—changed my life.

By Jamie Maw

When I opened the door to the Hamilton Street Grill I was somber at first. For tonight I was on a peculiar assignment, a head-on collision of high school reunion meets blind date meets closet outing. I was about to eat dinner with a room full of people whom I had never met but actually know rather well. In fact I know many things about them that they choose not to share with their spouses, children, workmates and bankers. In some cases I know their innermost thoughts, and especially their deepest cravings. But tonight, after a year, I was about to meet Tofino, Mr. Gourmet, Daddy-A, Foodie-in-Vancouver, Coop, Mooshmouse, Peppyre, Ling, Montrachet, Scout and a dozen more. I’ve come to know their on-line personalities, via these esoteric handles, rather well. Some are witty, others informative, many both. Virtually all are well meaning. But tonight will be the first opportunity to match their virtual halves to what I’m hoping will be their virtuous ones.

One year ago I began posting on eGullet, a culinary website that, after just three years, now spans the globe. Today more than 10,000 members, and countless visitors (aka “lurkers”), post and read contributions from as far away as South Africa, Dublin, Mexico City and Maple Ridge. It is a virtual world of people who share only one thing—a passion for, even an obsession with—food. And they are obsessed; members have made more than 700,000 posts.

I was wary on November 1, 2003, when I first chimed in—offering a tentative post on a subject that now escapes me. I was wary that eGullet would look like the culinary equivalent of train-spotting, with the minutiae of esoteric ingredients and restaurant gossip thrashed over ad nauseum. And I was also concerned that uninformed, unedited opinion would be of little value. After all, isn’t that why they pay me the medium bucks?

Hope that goes some way to resolving your curiosity. And just wait 'til you get to the Keith Talent and Sam Salmonella sections--sure to arouse controversy. --J.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Hey, wait a second. I can post the article, because [Jason, kindly note], the words are mine. Here then, the first several paragraphs . . .

Jamie, once the link is up on the Vanmag web site, we've got to post this in Food Media & news! Can't you just feel the fame & glory?? :laugh:

A.

Ok , I just got my Van Mag. Let the phone ring , do not disturb, I am reading !

Jamie ,

Great article , a real good read

A crazy amount of lurkers in the last couple of days ! I am thinking everyone wants to see what the hub bub is all about. Be careful ! Once the gullet lures you in, there is no getting out. You will browse and come across an article that gets you going. Once you dip your toe in the water, you might as well jump in.

Hope everyone signs up.

P.S. Mr. Maw , the quote re: chowhound looking like " cavemen drawings " was mine. Nice mentions of HSG at start and end of article but this would have given you a chance to mention me in the middle as well :rolleyes: We only have 5600 posts. ( and climbing at an alarming rate - I think that our board is one of the most active in the world aside from New York )

Cheers

Neil " potatoe head" Wyles :biggrin:

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

A crazy amount of lurkers in the last couple of days ! I am thinking everyone wants to see what the hub bub is all about.

I was afraid this might happen ... Could be as bad as the big AOL flood of '95 when AOL started offering "The Internet" as part of it's basic service. :wacko::shock:

Be careful ! Once the gullet lures you in, there is no getting out. You will browse and come across an article that gets you going. Once you dip your toe in the water, you might as well jump in.

Hi, my name is Daddy-A, and I'm an eGullet addict ...

Guess we'd best order another box of decoder rings ...

A.

I feel so .... used! :sad:

Wonderful summation of why I love this place ... and why I enjoy the company of all of you.

I'm just afraid of all the food nerds and geeks, mouth-breathers and wonks that will wash up on shores now that the secret's out!

A.

Thanks for the link.

Jamie -- great piece of writing!

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

That's one of the best articles on eG I've seen.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Jamie, you have captured the very essence of eGullet quite beautifully and, while lauding the strong points of the website and its posting public, have pointed out some areas yet to be developed. I enjoy your perceptivity and remarkable sense of humor! Thank you for sharing it with us .. and all of Vancouver!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"