• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekend in Phily

birder53

What are the best holiday sights in Philly?  In NYC you head to Rockefeller Center to see the tree and stroll along 5th Avenue.  In Philly you...?

In Philly you go to the Mummers parade on New Years day. Everyone in the area thinks the Mummers are world famous, but they are not. Only Phillies know about them. But they are a local big deal.

P.S. I lived just outside Philadelphia for 5 years while I worked at the best job I've had in my life. Commuted into the city every day. But the local culture can be wierd. Too much old money and horsey snobs (IMHO).

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

anyway, another recommendation: chickie's and pete's, up in... (wissinoming?  tacony?  what IS that neighborhood anyway?) or in the northeast, or down by the stadium, have great crabs.

Frankford? It's near the corner of Robbins and Frankford.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

there was a philadelphia sunday brunch buffet in a Hotel restaurant that was discussed a couple months ago in these forums... i can't find it for the life of me.  Does anyone know what the name of the hotel was?  The hotel and the brunch seemed pretty famous locally.

The Four Seasons and the Rittenhouse (Lacroix at the Rittenhouse) offer the toniest hotel brunches in town. I haven't been to the Four Seasons for at least a dozen years, but last spring I went to the Rittenhouse and enjoyed it immensely. For about $40 you can indulge in a fish table (oysters, smoked fish, shrimp, etc.), and a salad table with lots of different hor d'oeurves. Then, you go for either a brunch plate (omelet, etc.) or, you can opt to visit the kitchen, where a wide array of meats, fish, bowl, sausages, bacon, grains and starches, vegetables, and more awaits you. The dessert table is included. Beverages, as I recall, are very extra.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I can see the desire for a change of pace, but I'd trade a tray of blue crabs for a garlic roasted dungeness at Crustacean any day!

And I'd happily trade a tray of those dungeness crabs from Crustacean (garlic noodles and all) for just one good ol' Maryland steamed blue crab! Preferably served with a pitcher of beer and thrown on a newspaper-strewn table...

Thanks for all the great recommendations...I wish I had more than three days in Philadelphia to try places! I'd forgotten about scrapple...I think I used to shy away from it as a child...guess I'll have to give it a try this time around!

anyway, another recommendation: chickie's and pete's, up in... (wissinoming?  tacony?  what IS that neighborhood anyway?) or in the northeast, or down by the stadium, have great crabs.

yeah, i guess. it also might be tacony or wissinoming, depending on where the lines are. i don't know that area of town well enough to know what they consider themselves.

And I'd happily trade a tray of those dungeness crabs from Crustacean (garlic noodles and all) for just one good ol' Maryland steamed blue crab!  Preferably served with a pitcher of beer and thrown on a newspaper-strewn table... 

Yeah, Walt's was that kind of place, pretty dumpy interior, crabs served on a plastic cafeteria tray. I think i actually went there more for the mussels, which were more accurately described as a big bowl of garlic with some mussles in it. But no sense crying over spilled beer, you have plenty of other great options for food, and not enough time anyway.

But now you've got me jonesing for those garlic noodles....

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

yeah, i guess. it also might be tacony or wissinoming, depending on where the lines are. i don't know that area of town well enough to know what they consider themselves.

It is Wissinoming, just steps from the legendary Grey Lodge Pub.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Drinks at the Continental were suggested. Are there any bars in Philly with the likes of a de Groff or other cocktail aficianados? I'm interested in great drinks more than a hip bar scene. It seems that Drink Boy hasn't been to town, no writeups on PA on his site. What has he missed that I shouldn't?

KathyM

Drinks at the Continental were suggested.  Are there any bars in Philly with the likes of a de Groff or other cocktail aficianados?  I'm interested in great drinks more than a hip bar scene.  It seems that Drink Boy hasn't been to town, no writeups on PA on his site.  What has he missed that I shouldn't?

There's plenty of places to have a "proper" cocktail, although I'm not certain I'd count the Continental amongst them. There's really nothing here that I'd call "old school" or that's staffed by someone the likes of DeGroff or Audrey Saunders, but I'd say both The Happy Rooster or Redhead Lounge/Piano Bar mix a fine martini or manhattan.

If you're into wine then a trip to Il Bar at Ristorante Panorama is a must. 120 different wines available by the glass. My very favorite "grown up" bar in the city.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Drinks at the Continental were suggested.  Are there any bars in Philly with the likes of a de Groff or other cocktail aficianados?  I'm interested in great drinks more than a hip bar scene.  It seems that Drink Boy hasn't been to town, no writeups on PA on his site.  What has he missed that I shouldn't?

There's plenty of places to have a "proper" cocktail, although I'm not certain I'd count the Continental amongst them. There's really nothing here that I'd call "old school" or that's staffed by someone the likes of DeGroff or Audrey Saunders, but I'd say both The Happy Rooster or Redhead Lounge/Piano Bar mix a fine martini or manhattan.

If you're into wine then a trip to Il Bar at Ristorante Panorama is a must. 120 different wines available by the glass. My very favorite "grown up" bar in the city.

What she said. As far as places to have a "proper" cocktail, I was just at Boathouse Row Bar @ the Rittenhouse tonight, and have been to the Ritz Carlton Bar before.

Those would be tops on most people's list, I imagine.

I suspect the Library Lounge bar at the Park Hyatt Bellevue would be another.

Then of course there's the steakhouses: Prime Rib, Palm, Capital Grille, Smith and Wollensky.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Hubby and I will be spending December 10 - 12 in Philly.  It's been over 25 years since my last visit, so things have changed. :wink:  I'm turning to all you Philly egulleteers for help with dinner recommendations for Friday and Saturday night.  We're interested in great food without "jackets required". We're staying at Penn Center and have a car if we need to drive.  I've been browsing the threads and I see Fork and Django as favorites.  Any suggestions?  I'm sure I need to make reservations as soon as possible since the holiday dining/party season is upon us.

Also, where to go for great cocktails?  Thanks!

I highly recommend Branzino, Rittenhouse Square, 261 S. 17th Street, (17th & Manning), (215) 790-0103. Beautiful, but not a monstrous place, ergo very intimate. You can wear 'grown up' clothes, or come as you are, just make reservations. White tablecloths and very relaxing! Let me know what happens... :rolleyes:

"So it came to pass that on 17th Street south of Locust last month, a brave little spot called Bronzino opened, its walls painted with Roman columns and nostalgic murals of the sea.

http://www.digitalcity.com/philadelphia/di....adp?vid=213104

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/sp...ine/7264160.htm

http://www.phillybyob.com/all.asp

Hubby and I will be spending December 10 - 12 in Philly.  It's been over 25 years since my last visit, so things have changed. :wink:  I'm turning to all you Philly egulleteers for help with dinner recommendations for Friday and Saturday night.  We're interested in great food without "jackets required". We're staying at Penn Center and have a car if we need to drive.  I've been browsing the threads and I see Fork and Django as favorites.  Any suggestions?  I'm sure I need to make reservations as soon as possible since the holiday dining/party season is upon us.

Also, where to go for great cocktails?  Thanks!

I highly recommend Branzino, Rittenhouse Square, 261 S. 17th Street, (17th & Manning), (215) 790-0103. Beautiful, but not a monstrous place, ergo very intimate. You can wear 'grown up' clothes, or come as you are, just make reservations. White tablecloths and very relaxing! Let me know what happens... :rolleyes:

"So it came to pass that on 17th Street south of Locust last month, a brave little spot called Bronzino opened, its walls painted with Roman columns and nostalgic murals of the sea.

http://www.digitalcity.com/philadelphia/di....adp?vid=213104

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/sp...ine/7264160.htm

http://www.phillybyob.com/all.asp

I'll second this recommendation as well. Holly Moore and I had a lovely dinner at Branzino a few weeks ago. Stick to the seafood, veal and pasta dishes. I've had a couple of duds ordering the red meats there, but everything else is delicious. You can check my comments about the place HERE. BYOB.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Well, we have reservations for dinners at Fork and the Sansom Street Oyster House. We plan to hit the RTM on Friday for lunch at DiNic's and Saturday for breakfast at the Down Home Diner. There is a cheese steak in our future on Saturday - hmmm - Pat's or Geno's??? One of each? :wink: Still looking into drink spots - might stop by the Ritz Carlton just because I want to see the inside. :laugh: I have to look up the addresses of the other spots recommended for drinks. I better pick places far from each other as we'll have to do a lot of walking if we are to fit into our clothes come Sunday! What a way to go. :rolleyes:

KathyM

Kathy:

Don't forget to report back on your travels and eats. We all want to hear about it!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!