• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Il Rossellino

DaleJ

Wandered into Il Rossolino the first evening in Pienza. (Forgot where I saw the recommendation.) There are six two-tops, the husband. who is the chef and the wife, who runs the front. That's it.

She approached with a large wood crate of porchini for our inspection. I asked for a mixed salad and for my main to be "sauted porcini" since, of course, fresh porcini are unheard of in the states and it had been a year since my last fresh porcini.

A plate with one mahogony porcino cap anointed with a bare teaspoon of the thyme scented olive oil it was cooked in was set in front of me. I could feel my eyes tear up. The cap was barely three inches in diameter but took fifteen minutes to consume and was the singular highlight of a ten day trip to Rome, Pienza and Milan.

Of, course, the next night we returned. This time I had the Porcino first and followed with Fiorentina Chianina. More filling of course, but without the amazing surprise of the first meal.

Oh heavens - in Pienza last month and went for a cheap pizza for lunch at the place on the green square/auto park. Ordered a mushroom pizza that had a thick layer of fresh sliced porcini. Crazy good.

Similar experience with a mixed mushroom pizza out in the east end of Venice. No light toppings either place.

Umm, we get fresh porcini here in Seattle - last I checked, it was still part of the United States (a blue part.)

I need to post on my dinner in Pienza - info not with me - pretty funny story and decent food too.

TSQ:

Also ate at Latte di Luna in Pienza ( highly touted). Very ordinary.

I live in the diagramatically opposite corner of the US. Unfortunately all states around here are red and fresh porcini are unheard of.

I would pay dearly for fresh. Anyone know who might ship some?

• 3 weeks later...
TSQ:

I live in the diagramatically opposite corner of the US.  Unfortunately all states around here are red and fresh porcini are unheard of.

I would pay dearly for fresh.  Anyone know who might ship some?

Out of season - but you might try:

http://franksproduce.com/default.asp

or

Sosio's Fruit and Produce (I know they ship as well.)

Both are almost as far as Italy, but still in the U.S.

I know Italians that hunt the porcini in Berkeley hills and Tahoe, but mostly just sell to restaurants..

they don't really keep very well..

Like the Truffle fiasco in London!