• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

salt caramels

Brite14

I wonder if I can use the candy guitar to cut the caramel?  Thx!

You've got a guitar?

I'm green with envy.

Anyway Wybauw say you can use a guitar to cut caramel.

hmmm. melted wax on the caramel???

I use parchment and have never had a problem.  Caramel is very easily made gooey by too much moisture.  I try to avoid the fridge.  Plus, then it's already room temp and ready to enrobe.

Perhaps the parchment I used in the past wasnt great quality or maybe it wasnt even parchment even though i may have thought it was ... I try and look for some parchement and try it next time.

Jeremy Behmoaras

Cornell School for Hotel Administration Class '09

• 4 months later...

I made Alain Ducasse's salty caramels- I had to re-cook them to 255- but although they firmed up - they were greasy.

The Epicurious recipe calls for slightly different ingredients

Could someone please point me to the best recipe-they should not be oily should they?

Are you guys all thinking of regular caramels or slow cooking caramels?

-Regular is where you just cook all the ingredients together to the desired temp...

-Slow Cooked is where you have most the ingredients in and usually have evaporated milk that you hold back....you then bring the temp of the caramel up to the desired temp and then start to add the evaporated milk slowly so that you do not lose the boil...you get all of that in and then you bring it back up to the desired temp and you are done....

Which one do you guys do?

Robert

Chocolate Forum

Here is a recipe i made some months ago.

The caramels turned out great.

150g golden syrup

150g caster sugar

75g salted butter, diced in small chunks

Place the golden syrup and sugar in a pan and mix well. Cook over low heat -and without stirring- until the sugar has melted.

Mix in the butter, one chunk at a time.

Pour into a lined 20cm square tin and refrigirate for one hour.

Cut in small squares and wrap in baking paper.

gallery_48830_4010_44930.jpg

fanny loves foodbeam

pâtisserie & sweetness

Hey Fanny,

What temperature did you bring those caramels up to? or did you just bring it up to a boil for a certain amount of time?

Great pictures again...always great pictures...

Robert

Chocolate Forum

Hi robert,

thanks for being so nice.

Regarding the temperature i have no idea as i didn't have a sugar thermometre on hand when i made them.

Though, i would say the mixture reached firm-ball stage.

- fanny

fanny loves foodbeam

pâtisserie & sweetness

I made the epicurious recipe, and also thought they were too greasy. They also slumped a lot. I was attributing both problems to the high humidity here in Florida, and my inexperience as a candy maker. I'd like to try again; I thought to wait until some cooler, drier air moves through.

On the other hand, if you follow the marshmallow thread-- that recipe is foolproof, I tell you.

Hey Fanny....what are you refering to when you said "Golden Syrup"?  Maple syrup? Honey?....

Have a good one,

Robert

Chocolate Forum

Hi Robert,

sorry for the lack of info.

Golden syrup is thick inverted sugar and is sold under the Lyle brand.

- fanny

fanny loves foodbeam

pâtisserie & sweetness

Hum...Ok I think I got the idea....I have never seen it in the USA before...we might have it but it isn't used much...I will have to see if I can get my hands on some...

who knows...maybe its right at the store and I keep walking past it...haha

Robert

Chocolate Forum

Hum...Ok I think I got the idea....I have never seen it in the USA before...we might have it but it isn't used much...I will have to see if I can get my hands on some...

who knows...maybe its right at the store and I keep walking past it...haha

Robert

Chocolate Forum

Pretty normal you haven't seen it before as it's typically British!!!

- fanny

fanny loves foodbeam

pâtisserie & sweetness

• 9 months later...

I use:

4 c. sugar

1/2 c. corn syrup

1 c. water

1 c. butter

1 c. cream

1/4 c. sour cream

2 tsp. fleur de sel

Caramelize the sugar, water and corn syrup. Add the butter, cream, sour cream and salt (I heat them all together in a seperate pan first). Cook to desired stage (I go to around 240-ish but that may be too soft for what you want to do, may want to take it up a few more degrees). Works for me but others may have something better to offer.

*Sorry for the editing, I just make this stuff now so I had to think through all the numbers a bit.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Glucose is actually what I use. Corn syrup is just usually what most people are more likely to have on hand and it works just as well (I've done it both ways) so I typed it out that way. I should know better than to do that for the egullet crowd by now.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.