• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pinehurst, NC BBQ suggestions

sandal

I'm making a trip to Pinehurst area, and need some suggestions for good BBQ.  If no BBQ, then at least some good eats.  I guess I'm willing to drive quite a bit (but no more than an hour) as long as it's worth it.

Sorry, you're out of luck. No BBQ in NC worth eating.  Gotta head into SC for a shot at something decent, or to Texas if you want real BBQ, spelled BEEF...

Seriously, Holly  has several excellent suggestions on his webpage, measured in grease stains...

HollyEats

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Wow, you've managed to hit pretty much a wasteland with respect to barbecue with that area.  Most of the barbecue joints that are worth a side trip will exceed your hour limit.  For some reason, the Sandhills area hasn't developed a solid barbecue foundation.  

What would help is if you let me know from which direction you'd be traveling.  If you're on I-95 coming from the North, I can steer you in the right direction for a couple of joints that are not too far away.  There's a couple of good places in Wilson (Mitchell's is my favorite).  There's a good place just north of the I-95, I-40 intersection -- Stephenson's.  If you're willing to take a greater detour, then head over to Goldsboro and visit Wilbers, still my all-time favorite.

If you're coming from the East (unlikely) or the West, I can hook you up in those directions, too.  The bottom line is that any decent barbecue is probably an hour to 90 minutes away from Pinehurst/Southern Pines.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

We are planning a trip to NC this May and would love to hear some BBQ suggestions for state overall.  I will be driving between the Triad area/Charlotte/Asheville.  There has gotta be some great BBQ along the way…right?

If there are other hidden gems besides BBQ joints please share as well.

A few restaurants that I have good things about, but have not finished researching include…...  Any thoughts on these?

Lo Spiedo Noble-Greensboro

Little Richard’s-High Point

Mountain Smoke House-Asheville

Gabrielle’s at Richmond Hill

Pewter Rose Bistro-Charlotte

NewYorkTexan, also note we've had some NC barbecue threads previously.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Varmint - thanks for the suggestions.  As a matter of fact, I will be driving down I-95.  Do you by chance have the numbers or the county in which Stephenson's and Wilbers are located?  I may be able to convince my friends to take a detour.  Unfortunately, I'm the only who seems to be really interested in BBQ.

Surprisingly, Pinehurst does not have much eating places.  I thought it attracted alot of out-of-towners and at least some good eats would have emerged... oh well.  

If not BBQ, I would welcome any suggestions for any good ol' southern fried stuff as well.  Has anybody heard of Eastwood Diner?

Stephenson's is on Highway 50.  To get there, you'll want to get on I-40 west towards Raleigh.  Take exit 319.  Turn left onto highway 210 for about a mile or 2.  Turn right onto Highway 50, go about 1/2 mile.  Stephenson's will be on your right.  Phone is 910-894-4530.  They're closed Sunday and Monday.

Wilber's actually has a website:  http://www.esn.net/wilbers/

There are a couple of barbecue restaurants in Southern Pines, but I haven't visited either of them.

John's Barbeque & Seafood

Talberts Barbecue

I'm not familiar with the Eastwood Diner.  But then, if you're in Pinehurst, what you really want to do is sit in a rocking chair on the porch of the Pinehurst Hotel, drinking mint juleps.  

Off topic:  Where are you playing?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Thank you so much for the directions.  I'll make sure we try out one of them.  I've been to John's BBQ, and it was just OK. I'm sure there has to be better.

We're playing at Legacy, Little River, Woodlake, Carolina, and Tobacco Road.  It's a bit too much.  However, I'm about done with grad school, and need to fit in as much leisure time as possible before the inevitable.

• 9 years later...

Just to update some facts - John's is closed (soon to be a chain restaurant). There are three BBQ places in the area now - Dickey's (a chain I believe), BBQ Shak that is on route 1, and the Pik 'n Pig which is worth the drive from Pinehurst to Carthage. - Go on Saturday, but order your ribs in advance.

Good eats in some other local establishments - Ashten's, Rhett's, Wolcott's (all in Southern Pines) and some fun bars are around too - Maxie's, Bell Tree, etc.