• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Secrets of Vancouver

My friend took me to China Cereals and Oils Corporation Ltd. on Powell and Gore. All this time I thought they only sold rice, but they also sell a ton of Chinese goodies: soya sauce, hot sauces, noodles (Japanese and Chinese), candies, cookies, dried goods and the odd toilet paper and Campbell's soup. The prices for the Chinese goods were relatively cheap.

This store is jammed packed, and on the weekend, jammed packed with people, but what an experience.

I can't believe I've lived in Vancouver for so long and still discovering little gems like this store.

Does anyone have similar stores they've visited that they like to share?

It is a place called "Tosi's" and it is in China town, part of an old Italian nebourhood that shared space with China town; it is on the east side of Main Street south of Hastings.

It is a hold back from earlier days, it is a true food purveyor, your mind will slip back into days gone bye, the smells loft and blend together with the dusty and mustiness of a very old building.

You see old scales and antique counters and high ceilings it is definitely a blast from the past. They sell all things Italian. Olive oils, olives, pasta, pickled veg, and cheeses to die for. If you are looking for that best wheel of Pandano, this is the place to get it

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

I haven't shopped Tosi's since discovering Santa Barbara Market/Cioffis et al. I was wondering if he was still alive and around. I haven't been there in a dozen years I'll bet. His opening hours were sporadic, I think that's why we stopped going.

It is a great place, seems like you're in Italy, circa 1920 in his shop.

He sold me my first taste of balsamic. "Here, put a few drops of this on your steak after it's cooked tonight."

Keith since when have you been interested in "cool"? I was at Cioffi's this morning around 11:00 and it was packed. One could barely move. I've got to find somewhere new. I really like Motiv on Granville. They have pretty good deals. Also just up the block from Kim Phung on the corner of 43rd and Victoria is a great market. They have a great selection of mystery greens. They also have Asian long beans and some decent bbq pork. Don't expect any help though unless you are multi lingual.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Also just up the block from Kim Phung on the corner of 43rd and Victoria is a great  market. They have a great selection of mystery greens. They also have Asian long beans and some decent bbq pork. Don't expect any help though unless you are multi lingual.

:biggrin: I live near there and I know EXACTLY the market of which you speak, and it IS a great market...and it is very hard to get help...but worth the adventure.

Victoria Drive at the south end has some great little places. One is an interesting market at 36th and Victoria across from Dawat. It is an East Indian Market so you can get some great supplies for East Indian cooking! Their paneer isn't bad if you don't want to make your own, and their mango drinks are fabulous! And then you can go to Dawat to get some AMAZING samosa!

mmmm....samosa....I hear lunch calling...

Speaking of samosas. The place to get really good ones, fresh is from the ladies at your local Sikh Temple. I know the one in Mission sells them 4 for a dollar. They are very nice, fresh, and well seasoned. You usually need a connection though. I recently lost mine when my co worker left our company for greener pastures. Perhaps he left because we were always bugging him to get us more samosas.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Speaking of samosas. The place to get really good ones, fresh is from the ladies at your local Sikh Temple. I know the one in Mission sells them 4 for a dollar. They are very nice, fresh, and well seasoned. You usually need a connection though. I recently lost mine when my co worker left our company for greener pastures. Perhaps he left because we were always bugging him to get us more samosas.

Two words for you Coop:

The Himalaya

Not as good a deal as the Sikh temple, but at 2 for a buck you can't go wrong. 49th & Main.

A.

i also like tosi's as a store but will never ever spend my money in there again as the doufus with the touque(toufus?) insinuated that i was trying to scam him when i bought noty one but two bottles of olive oil off him that tasted like green apples if you can believe it, both times he agreed that it was off and both times all i wanted was to exchange it for another bottle(not even my $ back), he then accused me of spiking the bottle with something, then when i thought about it i remember him telling me that that oil was unfiltered which was absolute bullshit,l i even asked him again about it and he again lied , so they get the big lifetime boycott from this cowboy, shame it is a cool little shop with decent selection

Does anyone know what is a good time to get into Tosi?  I'd hate to go there is he doesn't answer the buzzer.

I have ususally found him there in the mornings , before noon, I usually go there on either on a Friday or Saturday

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

i also like tosi's as a store but will never ever spend my money in there again as the doufus with the touque(toufus?) insinuated that i was trying to scam him ....

Ditto - love that store, but the guy can be a whack job. Some of the stuff there is great, some is just OK. But the Grana Padano is great, nicely aged and crumbly.

Instead, go to Scardillo's on Hastings, they carry that same Grana Padano (they get it from Tosi) and are very nice people, too. And while you're there you can get some of their fresh bocconcini. And they usually stock some of Columbus Meat's great Italian sausage, so it saves making a trip over to Renfrew.

Just down the block from Scardillo is a Polish sausage place that's also very good. That was my last stop in Vancouver on my way to the airport last time I was in town.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

i also like tosi's as a store but will never ever spend my money in there again as the doufus with the touque(toufus?) insinuated that i was trying to scam him ....

Ditto - love that store, but the guy can be a whack job. Some of the stuff there is great, some is just OK. But the Grana Padano is great, nicely aged and crumbly.

Instead, go to Scardillo's on Hastings, they carry that same Grana Padano (they get it from Tosi) and are very nice people, too. And while you're there you can get some of their fresh bocconcini. And they usually stock some of Columbus Meat's great Italian sausage, so it saves making a trip over to Renfrew.

Just down the block from Scardillo is a Polish sausage place that's also very good. That was my last stop in Vancouver on my way to the airport last time I was in town.

This is some of the best stuff in Van, Scardillos has my fav fresh moza, this area is rich in good food, thanks for reminding me about Scardillos.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

I went to Urban Fare for the first time yesterday.

Whoa! that place has such cool stuff!

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

• 5 years later...

Resurrecting an ancient, ancient thread....

This evening I discovered Los Guerreros, a Mexican food mart on Kingsway just east of Joyce (next to the Congee Noodle King).

Wow! There aren't too many places where one can get a good selection of Mexican/Latin foodstuffs in Vancouver (that I've found), but Los Guerreros is definitely one to check out. Large variety of Mexican imports - beverages, pozole, all sorts of chiles, canned goods, sauces, a few brands of masa flour, pinatas, baked goods, herbs & spices that I couldn't recognize because I can't read Spanish.... I came home with only a can of pozole, chipotles in adobo, dried ancho chiles, and a packet of Mexican chocolate. Could have gotten more ingredients to play with but hubby would have a fit if I brought home any more stuff!

• 1 month later...

Los Guerreros is a great place. Check out Killarney Market (Killarney and 49th) as well.

On topic:

Rice World (Richmond) is a great place. I nearly forgot about this place. My parents shop here regularly. It is the Asian Costco. (Need frozen turtle? You can get it there....)

DSC01942.jpg

DSC01954.jpg

DSC01956.jpg

DSC01962.jpg

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum