• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hanukah/Chanukah/Hannukah

Swisskaese

2) Assuming a basic technique of grating the potatoes and using them raw, some recipes specify putting the grated taters in an ice bath. The reasons, I am guessing could be multiple: keeps them from turning brown, crisps them up, and also causes the starch to settle in a clump at the bottom. I have seen recipes that said to toss out that starch. Plenty of other recipes don't address the issue of an ice bath at all and don't make any mention of not wanting the starch. I have done it both ways and naturally I can't really remember year to year whether I liked one method better or not. Anyone have an opinion about this? (Of course you do!)

When I was pregnant, latkes were one of the foods I craved, and one of the few foods I could keep down. So, my husband now knows his latkes.

Putting the grated potato in the ice bath does keep them from turning brown and washes the starch off the potato pieces. I suspect that the crisping up is a result of starch removal more than the ice, though. Very cold potatoes (from the ice) seems to give you a more cohesive batter, though, and slightly nicer looking latkes.

I like -really- crisp latkes, so our end process was to shred, soak in ice water and then spin dry in the salad spinner. Mix with onion, egg, salt and pepper - then fry. Adding potato starch/flour/matzoh will give you a less-crisp cake, with more of a mashed-potato consistency center.

To get a crisp outside/soft inside I'd suggest adding a bit of the wet potato starch back, or not spinning the potatoes and using regular flour.

This year I think I'm going to try tackling a gluten free sufganiot, which has always been a miserable failure in the past. My fryer oil is nearing end-of-life, and what better time to fill it with a million little particles of dissolving not-a-donut?

This year I'm invited out for a few Chanukkah parties and don't have time to entertain, so I'm not planning much. For dinner Friday night I'll be making a big pot of soup (it's really cold!) for my immediate family, followed by potato latkes. That's it. I want sour cream with my latkes, so the soup will be Mushroom Cheddar Chowder.

If I have time during the week I might make some fried chicken -- it fulfils the frying requirements just as well as latkes.

Sufganiyot will be purchased. I'd love to make my own this year, but am really pressed for time.

Friday night I hope to eat a couple zucchini gruyere fritters, but we'll see how that actually comes together.

Saturday I'm attending a Hannukah party that is featuring: potato latkes, brisket, carrots, apple sauce, golden beet salad, sauteed red cabbage and donuts.

Unfortunately, all of my work holiday parties are next week, so I probably won't have a chance to make anything special for Hannukah until Thursday. I wonder if I can deep fry the pie I am bringing to a dessert party on Sunday. We'll see.

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

• 3 years later...

A couple of nights left this year. . anybody try anything new this year?

Though Chanuka isn't a huge deal in my family, it's getting busier and busier at work for us every year. . . so by the time

I finished with the latkes and cookies at work, I was done. Well, not true, I did make a small batch of regular potato latkes for brunch yesterday.

At work I made potato latkes, wild rice and mushroom latkes and zucchini leek latkes. I wanted to make more varieties but ran out of time and energy.

Cookies are just a sugar dough that I decorate -- decorating would have been more elaborate but by the end of the week I'd had done about 80 dozen and had to streamline things a bit.

We had a small family dinner at my parents for Shabbat/Chanukah and my cousins hosted a larger family gathering on Saturday night. Latkes and sufganiot were had and enjoyed by all.

By the way, there's still time to make your own sufganiyot!

FB_IMG_13856577655138419.jpg

FB_IMG_13856534764444234.jpg FB_IMG_13851361349678957.jpg

• Like 2

Really nice looking cookies Pam

Made my first latkes for this year tonight. Have been away visiting the In Laws.

Tonight I made latkes of potatoes and zucchini mixed

Used my potatoes ricer to extract most all of the water from my grated potatoes. Worked well to get the grated the mix dry before adding the eggs

• Like 1

The potato ricer trick is great. I've done it in the past -- but only with small batches. I once tried to use it when I made a batch with 50# of potatoes and my arms were screaming at me by the time I was done!

• Like 1