• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hanukah/Chanukah/Hannukah

Swisskaese

If anyone here is from the Jacksonville area - Chabad will also be doing "Chanukah at the Jacksonville Landing" downtown on December 12 right after the Jaguars game - complete with a "huge" menorah lighting (they show the menorah as 20 stories tall on the invitation - but I doubt it's that big  :biggrin: ).  Robyn

Chabad is known for their "oversized" menorahs. They light a massive one every year in Grand Army Plaza (in front on The Plaza Hotel) in Manhattan, and they also have a huge one they light in Red Square, Moscow. They need to use a cherry picker to light them.

So maybe it is 20 stories tall :biggrin: . Robyn

I do the annual family Hanukkah party.  I've already purchased the potatoes and onions to make the latkes as my late grandmother taught me (yes, she saw the benefit of the food processor).  I hate frying in oil and only want to make and clean the mess once.  So I make a huge batch and, as per Marlene Sorosky's book, freeze in a single layer and reheat in a single layer in a hot, hot oven.  They are crisp and yummy and if I hadn't revealed this method to everyone, nobody would be the wiser.

Today I made my first batch of "Hanukkah cookies."  Surprisingly like Christmas cookies but shaped like dreidels, 6-pointed stars and menorahs.  This batch is in the freezer.  Once all is done, they will be decorated with royal icing closer to the actual party.

I'll make a brisket and a turkey.  My SIL is bringing the sides.  I'll also make some more desserts.

At some point during the holiday, I will make Joan Nathan's sweet cheese latkes as a dessert.  Yum.

Just picked up my "artsy" menorah from being repaired earlier this week and purchased candles.  Still need to decide if we will go to the Temple Hanukkah party as well.  My kids are getting a bit old for how they usually do it but maybe we'll give it another year.

Oh, yeah, still have to buy chocolate gelt to decorate with.

make aheadh latkes...i have been waiting for this..any special ticks???

This is the best. You will never do it another way again. Here goes:

Make your latkes however you like. If you are making a really huge batch (which of course makes sense if you are going to freeze and use throughout the week) you might want to add a pinch of ground up Vitamin C or some powdered ascorbic acid to the batter to keep things white. Though the onions generally have enough natural vitamin C to do the trick.

Arrange fried and drained latkes IN A SINGLE LAYER on a baking sheet. You can stack layers on top of each other but make sure to separate each layer with foil or parchment. Wrap the entire package well and freeze. When you are ready to use them, get your oven really hot -- 400-450. DO NOT DEFROST THE FROZEN LATKES. Slide each single layer of frozen latkes with the foil or parchment underneath onto a baking sheet and place directly in the hot oven. Now you need to watch. You know they are ready to serve when you peak in the oven and see them sizzling.

The problem with reheating latkes is that people tend to stack them so the steam and get soggy. This way everything stays crisp and yummy.

My latkes will be fried and frozen by the end of this weekend and will get us through the week. I only have to clean-up the food processor, frying pans and oily mess once. Oh yeah!

Edited by JFLinLA (log)
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Hmm...not sure this would work for me.

You must have a commercial size food processor and pans, as we can eat all we can make in one batch. 17 per person is the record, but I was much younger and slimmer then...

if you find yourself slowing down take a few more gulps of wine...works for me

This is the best.  You will never do it another way again.  Here goes:

Make your latkes however you like.  If you are making a really huge batch (which of course makes sense if you are going to freeze and use throughout the week) you might want to add a pinch of ground up Vitamin C or some powdered ascorbic acid to the batter to keep things white.  Though the onions generally have enough natural vitamin C to do the trick.

Arrange fried and drained latkes IN A SINGLE LAYER on a baking sheet.  You can stack layers on top of each other but make sure to separate each layer with foil or parchment.  Wrap the entire package well and freeze.  When you are ready to use them, get your oven really hot -- 400-450.  DO NOT DEFROST THE FROZEN LATKES.  Slide each single layer of frozen latkes with the foil or parchment underneath onto a baking sheet and place directly in the hot oven.  Now you need to watch.  You know they are ready to serve when you peak in the oven and see them sizzling.

The problem with reheating latkes is that people tend to stack them so the steam and get soggy.  This way everything stays crisp and yummy.

My latkes will be fried and frozen by the end of this weekend and will get us through the week.  I only have to clean-up the food processor, frying pans and oily mess once.  Oh yeah!

this will be my saturday night unless you tell me the the store bought ones from wegmans are just as good

No, no, I do not have a commercial anything. I do have a large food processor but it's a home one. Once the batter is ready to go, I do have two large frying pans going at once and an entire counter covered with paper towels. Remember, this is at least 15 pounds worth of potatoes. It will generally last me the week. However, even if you do it all in one sitting, I still find it much more pleasant to have done this ahead and be able to spend more time with my guests.

Every time I do this I can still here my grandmother (z"l) admonishing me, "Don't make them too big. Not too much pepper (grandma didn't like pepper and she didn't like how the black flakes looked in the batter, she didn't know from white pepper). Don't rush, their not ready to turn yet." The last Hanukkah she was alive, was the first Hanukkah my daughter was old enough to help (though I shooed her out of the kitchen once the frying began). That memory of the 4 generations of women in my family -- my daughter, me, my mom & grandma -- will always be one of the best I have and I remember it every Hanukkah at the latke fry.

Okay, my daughter and I just finished making this year's batch. I think we used about 15 pounds of potatoes which filled up the absolutely biggest bowl I have. I haven't counted but it's probably 250 latkes -- about silver dollar size or a bit larger. That's how Grandma taught me. I'll stack and freeze them as soon as I'm done here in eG.

Hope everyone's dreidle lands on gimmel.

My family is coming to my place on Sunday for our Chanukah gathering. There's a total of 6 adults and 2 children (plus my 7 week old baby, but she doesn't eat much---yet!).

They're coming over around 11 or 12 and we'd normally do bagels and lox, etc. (and of course latkes), but since we had a baby naming for my daughter this past weekend and had a ton of that food, I was trying to plan something else. But I'm at a loss.

The only thing that I know is that we'll definitely have latkes, and for some reason, my mother is insisting on bringing her homemade macaroni and cheese. I was also thinking that I'd make some sort of fritatta. I was also contemplating making a French Toast Bread Pudding, but I feel like I'm leaning toward too many starchy dishes.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some dishes that might be good for my Chanukah brunch?

One of our favorites with latkes is fried salami and eggs. I don't remember how we even started such an unlikely combination, but it's now a family favorite.

The mac n' cheese sounds really good. What about rounding out the starches with a big green salad and a fruit salad? Or you could do an Israeli type salad (cukes, peppers, radishes) and an eggplant salad and add in some sufganiyot for dessert. That way you'd cover both Ashkenazi and Sephardi traditions :biggrin:.

Edited by bushey (log)

Mazel Tov Cleo! I'm very impressed you're entertaining so soon.

I'm in agreement with Bushey -- just go with a nice green salad. Obviously, the latkes are the focus dish, and you'll have the mac and cheese. So, you should keep it kind of light.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Mazel Tov Cleo!  I'm very impressed you're entertaining so soon.

Thank you! But don't be impressed just yet. I keep going back and forth on whether I should even attempt to make a few dishes, or to just order in! I recently moved from the upper west side to 23rd & 1st, and Russ & Daughters or Ess-a-bagel just might be calling my name!

We'll see how the week goes.

We went to Roladin Bakery tonight after Shul for their famous designer sufganyiot. They had some interesting new flavours this year and these are the ones that we chose:

Mozart - Cappuccino creme with bitter chocolate icing

Mexicana - Guanduja creme with tequila and white chocolate icing with chile powder

Cinnamon - Cinnamon creme with white chocolate and cinnamon

Chocolate - Plain with bittersweet chocolate coating and purple star (courtesy of one of our local cellular companies). You dial a special number and receive an SMS that entitles you to two free sufganyiot!

Chag Hannukah Sameach Everyone!

gallery_8006_298_1102490229.jpg

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Tonight I plan to try these .. looks delicious and simple!

Nigella Lawson's Apple Latkes

These are pure apple, more like fritters, and Lawson suggests serving them as a breakfast or dessert.

eG thread on "alternative lifestyle" latkes ...

And then there is Hanukkah beer! :laugh: (this loads slowly...)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Wow! Those look amazing. My mouth is watering. Designer sufganiyot have yet to cross the pond.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

It's my first Hannukah, had a really great dinner (latkes, kugel, blintzes, etc) but here's a recipe I found in Gourmet that I'd like to try once the holidays are over (and the pressure's off!)

HAZELNUT AND OLIVE RUGELACH

A savory take on the good stuff... :wub:

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

I was all excited to make latkes last night. I put up a big pot of homemade applesauce. And then went to grab the potatoes. Only I couldn't find them anywhere (and Blovie bought a 5 pound bag on Friday). Turns out, he tossed them. :shock:

Latkes made tonight for a belated family Hannukah Party tomorrow:

gallery_2_4_1103412013.jpg

gallery_2_4_1103412063.jpg

These were cooked in a 1/1/1 combination of Peanut Oil, Corn Oil and Rendered Chicken Fat cooked with Onions (Schmaltz). The Latke mixture was a combination of shredded and minced Yukon Gold potatoes with egg and matzo meal.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 1 year later...

Okay, with T-Day behind us it's time for me to start preparing. I already purchased 20 pounds of potatos and a bunch of onions. Just hanging out at home tomorrow so it's going to be my big annual frying and advance freezing of the latkes.

As I've noted earlier, I hate the mess of frying in oil and this way I only have to clean it up once! Plus, since I throw the big family Hanukkah party, this way I can actually be at the party rather than standing at the stove getting cranky.

Thanks Jackal. You can disagree with Grandma if you like. Latkes are like a lot of things . . . everyone has their favorite way to eat them. Think of the debates over black & whites, bagels, knishes, matzoh balls (is your family tradition for sinkers or floaters?) . . . and that's just some of the Jewish examples.

In our family, we like them a little smaller. And, Grandma Yetta never liked pepper in hers so that's how I do it.

I lost count but I think my daughter and I made about 300 latkes yesterday in 3-4 hours. It was about 18 pounds of potatoes, 1 large food processor and 2 large frying pans. Everything is in the freezer though the smell of onions and oil is still permeating the house.

It was fun and is always a great way to remember Grandma. And, I don't have to clean up the oily mess more than once.

What?! Chanukah just around the corner again? Time to get organized.

The latkeh-fry and family party are at my house every year. My married daughter and her family will be here for the second candle-lighting. We'll put on a CD of Chanukkah tunes, and I'm hoping my little grandsons will break into a shuffling, stamping dance of their own invention. We'll gorge on glorious latkehs - the traditional Eastern European kind, slathered over with sour cream and applesauce -and to make me happy, everyone will have a share of healthy salad. The little boys are just toddlers and so too young to understand the dreidel game, but I'll get them those atomic-powered spinning tops that light up and look like UFOs, and while they're figuring out how to destroy those, the older folk will sit on the floor and play for chocolate Chanukah gelt.

Latkehs with toppings, salad and a cheese platter (cheeses from the sheep dairy Eretz Zevach Chalav, mentioned in Swisskaes' second blog - go to http://www.2eat.co.il/eretz/ and get a load of the cheeses); the new Golan "young" wine, which I see has undergone carbonic maceration; tangerines and a bowl full of nuts and some special chocolates from a new chocolatier called Neta (www.chocolata.co.il), shaped like menorahs and dreidels - that's the menu.

Sufganiot, the next night. When it's just me, my husband and youngest daughter, I can limit the numbers instead of buying bagfulls, thereby limiting the calories. I think the calories in latkehs, by contrast, are good for you.

Miriam

Edited by Miriam Kresh (log)

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]