• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Gadgets - "stocking stuffers"

fifi

Gadget Goddesses. I want a syrup dispenser that is drip proof. I buy the mongo sized things of syrup at Costco (a recipe for disaster with kids), so I was using an old smaller syrup bottle, which is always sticky and icky.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I have several syrup and honey dispensers for different flavors and types.

These work well.

I especially like the ones with the opening at the bottom, and the holder because it keeps the sticky stuff away from the handle.

The second one, which seems a bit expensive, is the best of this type I have found for keeping the syrup from dripping.

My neighbors, who have several grandchildren, use the plastic squeeze bottles with the caps for the tips so they can be rinsed under hot water after use. Like these.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This may be a stupid question, but I don't really understand the talk I hear about cheap microplanes.  Maybe it's because I live in Canada, or maybe it's just because I don't know to look in the right places, but I have never seen microplane in a store for less than $30.  I wanted one for a long time, but didn't get one because of the expense (I am a student)...

It depends on where you look for them. Microplanes (sometimes also called "rasps") were originally wood working tools before they found their way into the kitchen.

Click here for an example on the left side of the page. Check out the rest of the page for other types.

Here are some more at Bed, Bath & Beyond online. You should be able to find them in their brick & mortar stores, as well.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't recall a "I can't believe anyone would buy this crap" discussion so I thought I would post this here:

"The only Flipping Frying Pan in the World"

The perfect pan for those who are spatula-challenged or didn't read the eGCI course: "All About Eggs -- Omelettes and More".

Wait for the GIF to load to see this beauty in operation.

Yeesh. :wacko:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Toliver, They have had these in the factory outlet "Kitchen Collection" store since last fall and I think they have just put them on sale because they aren't moving. I should have asked but I don't believe they have sold even one.

I check in the store every few weeks because they have some really good stuff on sale from time to time.

Yesterday I bought a box with 6, (3 small and 3 large) of the silicone bowl covers for $11.45. On TV they were selling 2 for 9.95 plus shipping a while back. I bought one of the large ones at a holiday "botique" fund raiser in December and have used it a lot because it fits a couple of odd-shaped bowls that nothing else works on (the sticky Saran wrap won't stick to textured crockery).

I also bought some small glass bottles with cone-shaped SS tops with small holes, similar to "dasher" tops. I am going to try them with my home-made hot sauce and if they work okay will buy a bunch. At 1.99 each they are a bargain.

I can't imagine using this or any of the folding-type pans for omelets, I learned to cook an omelet when I was 10.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Andie, did you ever receive that way-cool-looking apple slicer?  I'm dying to hear whether it's as wonderful as it looks.

No, the last email I received said it was back ordered and would be shipped 1/26/06. This was from a different link than the one I went to when I orginally ordred it (I think it was the Metropolitan Museum shop). My credit card has not been charged so I don't know what is up with it. I hesitate to place the order again, I don't want two of the things!

I have ordered a neat butter "knife" that was shown on HGTV's "I Want That!" on Wed. evening.

Not that I really "need" it, but I think it is a rather clever addition to my collection of oddities.

Measuring butter knife

Andie, did you ever receive that way-cool-looking apple slicer?  I'm dying to hear whether it's as wonderful as it looks.

I have ordered a neat butter "knife" that was shown on HGTV's "I Want That!" on Wed. evening.

Not that I really "need" it, but I think it is a rather clever addition to my collection of oddities.

Measuring butter knife

That is really neat, Andie. I had a magnetic butter measuring thingie but the hatch marks wore off in very short order. This looks a lot more likely to be durable. Thanks for sharing.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Measuring butter knife

That is really neat, Andie. I had a magnetic butter measuring thingie but the hatch marks wore off in very short order. This looks a lot more likely to be durable. Thanks for sharing.

I was given a measuring butter dish for Christmas which I have yet to use, but it too is very clever, as it has measurements for both the long skinny quarters and the shorter fat ones. It also has a silicone "gasket" to keep the butter airtight.

I was going to take a photo of it but the battery in my camera needs charging.

It is This one.

This is the same company that makes the onion chopper, the bread keeper, silicone whisks, all kinds of microwave accessories. I don't know where it was purchased, I can't find it online. I just did a search for Progressive.

That measuring butter dish is really neat! You surely are the Gadget Queen of eG.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

That measuring butter dish is really neat!  You surely are the Gadget Queen of eG.

It all began with me collecting antique odd kitchen gadgets that someone had invented for some particular purpose, that may have been just the thing "way back when" but now have no obvioius purpose. Then I began picking up kitchen utensils with bakelite handles and gadgets that were not so much antique as "vintage" and ones that were funny or cute.

Word got around among my friends and I think that some of them began having a contest to see who could come up with the most unusual or newest or even least useful wierdities to give me.

These were always sort of joke gifts, in addition to the normal gift. For instance, the butter keeper was wrapped up and inside it was a gift card for Trader Joe's, the "real" gift.

However I too buy gifts for friends who collect various things. One friend collects figural salt and pepper shakers and has over 6000 sets. During the past 20 years I have probably bought her at least a hundred sets, from a hula dancer with a palm tree to an aluminum nut and bolt. She has souvenir shaker sets from every state, including an Eskimo and an igloo from 1959 when Alaska became a state. One walks into her kitchen/breakfast room and there are all these little shelves, with little eyes staring at one from all around the room. There have been a lot of very odd salt and pepper shakers produced over the years and my collection of oddities pales in comparison to some of the shakers she has on display.

Thanks for the info Calipoutine and Heather!  For now, I have a very nice microplane to use for myself, but since I will probably want to give cheaper ones out as gifts at some point, the information you've both given me is very useful.

For Canadians: Lee Valley Garden tools have both the clear twisty garlic mincer and the microplaner with or without the 'catcher' box feature. and they will mail it to you anywhere in Canada -they are located in the north west part of Toronto-just under woodbridge.

google and find their online site.

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

Here is a photo of a few gadgets and etc., acquired since early December '05. Some were gifts, some were purchased.

Top left is a little weighted recipe card holder which will hold a full sheet of paper if it is at least 24# thickness.

Below that is a "Citrus utensil for peeling, zesting and striping citrus. A ring-pull lid-lifter with a magnet to hold onto the lid (assuming it is steel).

Next is a silicone honey dispenser and it is great, the honey comes off of it cleanly.

Next are some heavy-duty stainless steel clips for holding bags closed, etc.

Next is a set of Food Loops, silicone cords that are perfect for holding stuff together while cooking (or marinating, or whatever.)

In the center is the butter keeper which I mentioned in an earlier post.

Below that is a peeler for tough or thick-skinned things like squash, eggplant and similar things.

Below that is a new whisk with a loose ball of wires and a solid ball inside that which is supposed to agitate better.

At lower left is a new jar of Sicilian sea salt, a wet salt.

Next is super-fine Velvet de Guerande salt that is almost as finely ground as flour and has a sort of buttery mouth-feel.

Next is a wood salt box that has a pivoting top.

And last is a veggie scrubber mitt or small things such as several baby potatoes can go inside and be scrubbed under running water.

gallery_17399_60_26228.jpg

Edited by andiesenji (log)

I love Lee Valley--they have great workshops there, too, if you have one nearby.

Did you see the mortar and pestle on their website? The pestle part (or is it the mortar part?) looks just like Fifi's little stainless steel mushroom, except it's made of marble is is bigger (and more expensive).

But for those really wanting one of those mushrooms, this might be a good substitute until the mushrooms are produced again!

I love Lee Valley--they have great workshops there, too, if you have one nearby.

Did you see the mortar and pestle on their website?  The pestle part (or is it the mortar part?) looks just like Fifi's little stainless steel mushroom, except it's made of marble is is bigger (and more expensive).

But for those really wanting one of those mushrooms, this might be a good substitute until the mushrooms are produced again!

I have one of those and it doesn't work as well as the ones with the normal sized pestle. There is zero room between the mortar and pestle and if you try to grind anything, it works its way out of the bowl.

The only thing I use it for is to crush pills for my dogs, it works fine for that if I only smash one or two.

Did you see the mortar and pestle on their website?  The pestle part (or is it the mortar part?) looks just like Fifi's little stainless steel mushroom, except it's made of marble is is bigger (and more expensive).

I think you also don't want a marble mortar. Marble is really quite soft and you can grind marble powder off of both the mortar and the pestle if you are grinding anything hard (or just when the pestle runs up against the mortar when you have little to grind). On the other hand it won't hurt you and will add a little calcium to your diet. That also means you should not grind acidic materials in a marble mortar as it will form pits if not cleaned up right away.

I've used the foot of my marble mortar to crush garlic with good results.

Who needs a mushroom?  :raz::laugh:

I do. :sad::raz:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I've used the foot of my marble mortar to crush garlic with good results.

Who needs a mushroom?  :raz::laugh:

I do. :sad::raz:

No you don't. :wink:

Trust me. I wanted a mushroom too until the light came on that I could use my mortar.

Get you one of these. One or two wacks is all you need to crush that garlic. Plus you get the added bonus of a mortar and pestle for grinding spices, etc. See? :biggrin: Stay away from the wide pestle like some have advised.

Tip: Wrap the bottom of your mortar with plastic wrap and you don't even have to wash the mortar. :smile: Bet you can't do that with a mushroom. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

For just smashing garlic, I use the flat side of a broad knife.

However, when I want to crush and pulp it, along with chiles, ginger, palm sugar, and the other stuff I include in sambals and chile paste, I use a suribachi. I have several mortars of various sizes but the suribachi, with its ridges, just makes the process so easy.

I generally begin by grating ginger against the sides, partly to get the pulp and also for the juice. After than I toss in the garlic then add the other things as I work the mixture into the consistence I want.

• 7 months later...

I am bumping this topic up because I found yet another "Garlic-Smasher" thingy, just in case Fifi needs something else in the Stainless Steel line.

Garlic "roller" recommended by Michael Chiarello

I have to admit I have never seen anything quite like this and wonder just who came up with the idea.

• 2 months later...

I am bumping this topic up again because I need some ideas.

Has anyone come across any interesting, odd, nutsy or just plain ridiculous kitchen gadgets in the past few months.

I do come across a fair number but am sure I don't see them all and I need to buy or order some for a kitchen-themed party.

Anything and everything is acceptable.