• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Gadgets - "stocking stuffers"

fifi

This is not a gadget, but it is just so darn cute that I had to order one.

I love the animated Christmas/holiday things but have never seen one like this. 

When I saw it I thought I would order it for a friend who collects bears but then decided I would get it for me.

So cute!! Now I have to try to convince my husband to get me one after we agreed not to exchange gifts this year. :laugh:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I also got a couple of these silicone food loops at the kitchen store in the factory outlet center.

It has already come in very handy for holding a boned leg of pork rolled around a filling of apples and prunes.

So much easier than tying. Since the arthritis in my right thumb has gotten much worse, I am having difficulty with things like this as even force with my index finger causes pressure at the base of the thumb.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

speaking of nutcrackers, can anyone reccomend one that will crack walnuts without destroying the shells? 

I want to have two perfect halves to glue back together after the meat has been removed. 

I've done this in the past with the classic V nutcracker, but as I recall you get maybe one out of 4 nuts in good enough shape to use...

The only nutcracker that does this right (and also gets whole Brazil nuts out of their shells) is an ancient one I inherited from my parents. It's got a cast iron holder shaped like the palm of a child's hand, with a flange at the bottom (with a hole in it to anchor the tip of the nut) and a screw-down cracker at the top with a conical end that fits over the top of the nut. It works easily and every time.

I have no idea whether it's still made and would love to find a source for gifts.

There is a wide variety of nut crackers available at Amazon

here.

I have the "rocket" nutcracker which I use for shelling lots of nuts but it will not split the shell.

You really need a blade type cracker - You might take a look at the Quackenbush nutcracker on page 2, or see if you can locate a nut cracker made specifically for splitting walnuts.

They are usually a screw type and have a blade that splits the shell along the natural seam. You might be able to make one easier than finding one.

Scroll down the bottom of this page

where you can see one type of sheller that cuts walnut shells in half.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

For English walnuts, I have gotten good results with a little stubby flat head screwdriver. Just pop it in the back hinge and twist. Has been known to work with clams, too!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

OK . . . These are ridiculous. But, being a fisherman and about to build a house on the bay, I may have to do something with these. Fish utensils! The design is so clever, and somewhat funny.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

OK . . . These are ridiculous. But, being a fisherman and about to build a house on the bay, I may have to do something with these. Fish utensils! The design is so clever, and somewhat funny.

Those are cute. I have very good friends who live on their boat in the marina at Oxnard. They have done several really big favors for me and I think this would be a great way to repay them.

Since their space is limited I have not been able to decide on a suitable gift. They are both avid fishers so this is just perfect. I have the catalog but have not noticed these items.

Thanks so much!!!

Richard Kilgore actually found them and pointed them out to me. (The rat! :laugh: ) I am actually thinking that the spreaders (cool sharks!) or the salad set would make a good gift, not too costly for what they are. But, I am really thinking of getting four place settings. I don't do more than four for a sit down very often anyway.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

And now, here is a whole slew of Kitchen Gadgets

Some have been around for a while but some are new, some are unusual (wait till you see the "armadillo bread bin") --- some are totally impractical but some look like they might come in handy.

I am ordering the "SqueezeMe" lemon squeezer, simply because it is unusual and cute.

I am seriously considering the Solar Grill. I have a solar cooker (since 1979) but the thing is the size of the old type satellite dish. It works great in the desert but is big and heavy to haul around. This little thing looks really cool.

I also am considering ordering a set of Knorks. We had a discussion a while back regarding sporks. This doesn't have the spoon component but for people who have lost the use of one hand, it looks like a winner. I have several friends who had had strokes and this should help them. Since my right hand is getting worse all the time, I may be in the same boat myself before very long.

I also like their style of ring pull device for cans.

wow that was quite the page of gadgets! my favorite falls outside our original idea of small affordable widgets being the $400 scooba floor cleaner, but I'm also fond of the little Cake and Cappuccino Decorator.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

wow that was quite the page of gadgets!  my favorite falls outside our original idea of small affordable widgets being the $400 scooba floor cleaner, but I'm also fond of the little Cake and Cappuccino Decorator.

I thought that was neat also. I may get it for one of the girls in the office who has just begun baking. She also loves hot chocolate.

There were several very clever little things that would make great stocking stuffers.

I also thought of ordering the "Coffee clock" for a friend who is an avid coffee collector, taster, drinker, etc.

I also considered the "Perfect Apple slicer" for my own collection.

And how about that 110.00 for the Armadillo Bread Bin?? A bit pricey, I would say.

And of course, when you check that site you find a bunch more odd and quirky gadgets.

Uncrate is an odd name in itself.

It says it is for guys but who cares!

I got This for Don's stocking.  I just thought it was cute and he likes to make cocktails. :biggrin:

Pretty nifty!!

Just received the three Teasticks (see above) that I ordered directly from the manufacturer. They're LOVELY. Might just have to keep one for moi! Will let you know what the tea-drinkers think... :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I love the

Graham Kerr stainless Bash N Chop Scooper/Cutter. It's just the right size and has a sharp but not too sharp edge for chopping. The ruler is painted on and starts to wear quickly, but otherwise it's ideal.

This garlic shredder/slicer produces perfect super-thin slices.

Neodymium super-magnets will hold anything to steel. The #03 size will hold anything smaller than a breadbox.

The Screwpull corkscrew is in a class by itself.

If you can't find the garlic mushroom, the

JB Prince meat pounder is very satisfying to whack with.

I couldn't live without a Thermapen instant thermometer.

My arm falls off during the 1/2 hour stirring process to make roux or slow-scrambled eggs. The StirChef is an extravagance and a bit fiddly to set up, but worth it.

Finally, spices on a high shelf are amazingly more accessible with a Rubbermaid rotating two-level lazy susan.

I love the

Graham Kerr stainless Bash N Chop Scooper/Cutter.  It's just the right size and has a sharp but not too sharp edge for chopping.  The ruler is painted on and starts to wear quickly, but otherwise it's ideal.

This garlic shredder/slicer produces perfect super-thin slices.

Neodymium super-magnets will hold anything to steel.  The #03 size will hold anything smaller than a breadbox.

The Screwpull corkscrew is in a class by itself.

If you can't find the garlic mushroom, the

JB Prince meat pounder is very satisfying to whack with.

I couldn't live without a Thermapen instant thermometer.

My arm falls off during the 1/2 hour stirring process to make roux or slow-scrambled eggs.  The StirChef is an extravagance and a bit fiddly to set up, but worth it.

Finally, spices on a high shelf are amazingly more accessible with a Rubbermaid rotating two-level lazy susan.

I have a Stir-Chef and I love it. I got it mainly for lemon curd. The way I make it, it takes a long time to set up but is very, very creamy.

speaking of nutcrackers, can anyone reccomend one that will crack walnuts without destroying the shells? 

I want to have two perfect halves to glue back together after the meat has been removed. 

I've done this in the past with the classic V nutcracker, but as I recall you get maybe one out of 4 nuts in good enough shape to use...

The only nutcracker that does this right (and also gets whole Brazil nuts out of their shells) is an ancient one I inherited from my parents. It's got a cast iron holder shaped like the palm of a child's hand, with a flange at the bottom (with a hole in it to anchor the tip of the nut) and a screw-down cracker at the top with a conical end that fits over the top of the nut. It works easily and every time.

I have no idea whether it's still made and would love to find a source for gifts.

I am having a hard time visualizing this one. Any chance you could put up a photo? Brazil nuts don't fare well in my pecan cracker.

Doc

I am having a hard time visualizing this one. Any chance you could put up a photo? Brazil nuts don't fare well in my pecan cracker.

Doc

This web site Nutcrackers has the "Reed's Rocket" nutcracker, halfway down the page. I believe it operates on the same principle as the one that k43 described (just not nearly as fancy). This is the one that we have, and it does an excellent job of extracting the nutmeats from all types of nuts without pulverizing the shells. You can usually get walnut shells to crack into two halves, though not always exactly along the seams. I've also had luck splitting walnuts in half by inserting the blade of a flat-head screwdriver into the hole on the butt-end of the walnut and giving it a gentle twist.

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

gallery_38003_2183_168944.jpg

The coolest stocking stuffer is one that really, really - works. You can't go wrong with a Swiss vegi peeler like this one. Cheap - cool and to repeat myself, really works. A must for every kitchen or tool kit.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I am going duplicate thread here, having just posted on this in the "meat aging" topic, but I'm looking for information on probe thermometers (the digital kind with an alarm you can set at precise internal temps). Anyone have experience with these and know which ones are best?

I also considered the "Perfect Apple slicer" for my own collection. 

I have been crazy for one of these since I first saw one in a catalog a few weeks ago. If you get one, please let me know if it really works, and what you think of it!

I have ordered the "perfect apple slicer" and will report on its effectiveness.

Regarding the thermometer, there is a discussion in this thread that discusses and has links to sites with these thermometers.

I have used several and they work but there is a distance limit.

I am having a hard time visualizing this one.  Any chance you could put up a photo? Brazil nuts don't fare well in my pecan cracker.

Doc

Imagine a "C" clamp, with a conical "hat" at the end of the screw (open side down to fit over one end of the nut) and a hole in the other end to brace the pointed end of the nut in. Then, imaged the curved part of the clamp wider, to make a cup to catch the shell and nutmeat.

I am going duplicate thread here, having just posted on this in the "meat aging" topic, but I'm looking for information on probe thermometers (the digital kind with an alarm you can set at precise internal temps). Anyone have experience with these and know which ones are best?

Most of my buddies and I use the Maverick Redi Chek something like this one. I have used it for low temperatures as well when brining big birds in the cooler.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"