• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southern Traditions

Varmint

Reading this thread reminds me how diverse the South is. Each region in the South seems to have its specialty. Where I grew up, its shrimp and grits, gumbo, oyster bakes, boiled peanuts from the street vendors, RC Cola, Bleinheim ginger beer, and pulled pork. One of my best friends's growing up came from people from Baton Rouge. They raised crawfish and threw a boil each year.

As for names-- my father and the dog shared the nickname: bubba: Lil Bubba and Big Bubba.

Living in the north, I lament the lack of manners I was accustomed to in living in Chaston (Charleston, SC). Okay, now I really do sound like my grandmother, Miz Betty.

Reading this thread reminds me how diverse the South is.  Each region in the South seems to have its specialty.  Where I grew up, its shrimp and grits, gumbo, oyster bakes, boiled peanuts from the street vendors, RC Cola,  Bleinheim ginger beer, and pulled pork.  One of my best friends's growing up came from people from Baton Rouge.  They raised crawfish and threw a boil each year. 

As for names-- my father and the dog shared the nickname: bubba:  Lil Bubba and Big Bubba. 

Living in the north, I lament the lack of manners I was accustomed to in living in Chaston (Charleston, SC).  Okay, now I really do sound like my grandmother, Miz Betty.

I'm a recent convert to egullet.com, and have just now stumbled on this thread. Although I'm a native Californian (still living in said Golden State), I was born of and raised by a Southern mother who instilled in me and my two sisters a deep appreciation of all things Southern -- especially good manners and the food. She'd return from visits back home with an extra suitcase (shipped empty, for the purpose of filling!) laden with goodies not available here such as Duke Mayonnaise, her beloved Blenheim ginger beer, and sourwood honey.

I miss her (she now lives in New Hampshire) and her cooking, but at least I have most of her recipes, including her ethereal Pimiento Cheese.

I love you, Mama . . .

I miss her (she now lives in New Hampshire) and her cooking, but at least I have most of her recipes, including her ethereal Pimiento Cheese.

I would absolutely love Mama's recipe for that pimento cheese. Any chance??? :rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

....And not long after that, Aunt Melcina died, too.  

The few jars that folks still had left became as precious as though they were filled with gold.  Everybody squirreled them away and lied about having them.  Once I found FOUR jars in my Aunt Stella Mae's pantry, hidden down under a bag of rice and I ratted her out to the rest of the family.  ....

oh jaymes! :wub:

and you know, i haven't got the faintest idea of what 99% of all this food is. might as well have been sudanese, for all i know.

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.

i've lived my whole life south of the mason dixon line, and i still don't know what defines "southern manners." i would go as far as to say that southerners tend to "act" nice but they don't mean it--is that an example of "manners"? i'm not being coy--i'm genuinely curious. i think i'm a pretty well-mannered person, but i couldn't describe the manners as uniquely southern.

dave, thanks for the clarification. there is a thread somewhere on cane syrup. i knew that molasses was the byproduct of sugar refining, but i was confused by the fact that most cane syrups these days taste like molasses. marketing does indeed seem to be the culprit. the cane producers, in order to increase their profits, are refining the sugar from the cane juice--yes? so what's left is darker and more molasses-like.

i use a product from Miss. called country made ribbon cane syrup--it's lighter in color than molasses and thicker, but, most notably, sweeter. anyone who loves cane syrup should search this thred--there are some good prodcuts listed. IMO one of the qunitessential southern delicacies is skillet cornbread with butter and cane syrup.

i've lived my whole life south of the mason dixon line, and i still don't know what defines "southern manners."  i would go as far as to say that southerners tend to "act" nice but they don't mean it--is that an example of "manners"?  i'm not being coy--i'm genuinely curious.  i think i'm a pretty well-mannered person, but i couldn't describe the manners as uniquely southern.

True, true, as someone mentioned above, "Bless his/her heart" is a great way to sweeten your insult. I grew up around southern women who could charm a grizzly bear.

What I notice lacking above the mason-dixon is a lack of common courtesy to strangers. For example, when walking down a narrow sidewalk, you should make way for the other person. A lot of southern manners can be sacchrinely annoying "Yes Ma'am that" and "No, sir this"; but even in Class D restaurants-gas stations off I-95, I have been treated better at times than in the Gold Coast of Chicago.

What I notice lacking above the mason-dixon is a lack of  common courtesy to strangers.  For example, when walking down a narrow sidewalk, you should make way for the other person.  A lot of southern manners can be sacchrinely annoying "Yes Ma'am that" and "No, sir this"; but even in Class D restaurants-gas stations off I-95, I have been treated better at times than in the Gold Coast of Chicago.

Nerissa got it.

Stellabella, I didn't really notice it until I lived above the Mason-Dixon line for a awhile. Its the just the little everyday things. I just went to my drycleaners this morning and I, of course, responded to all questions with "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am". When I leave the parking garage at night the lady who takes my ticket always tells me to have a nice evening and be careful driving home. You dont see that everywhere.

I would absolutely love Mama's recipe for that pimento cheese. Any chance??? :rolleyes:

Hey, Jaymes, I gotta check with Mama first. The recipe is one her own mama perfected, and she's pretty picky about its distribution.

But I'm sure I can sweet-talk her into sharing it . . . :wink:

Here's one:

Caboose Pimiento Cheese--for sandwiches, etc.

a block of medium sharp cheddar

jar of pimientos

mayo to your taste

2 T. sugar

use the grating attachment on the food processor to grate the cheese, then put the grated cheese and the jar of pimientos and their juice, mayo, sugar, into the processor bowl with the blade attachment and pulse til blended. this is how we make our PC at the Caboose [sandwich shop] in Rutledge and people rave over it. at first i thought the idea of sugar was repulsive but now i like it.

now, if i make PC at home--which is rare--i would use sharp cheddar, and i actually like to use white cheddar. in adition to the mayo and pimientos i'd add some cracked black pepper, some finely minced garlic, and some finely minced pitted cocktail olives. one southern living recipe also called for adding chopped pecans.

i didn't realize til i moved to rutledge that pimiento cheese is a southern thing, and my northern transplant neighbors explained to me that this was unheard of to them. i grew up on it--that horrible nasty pre-made stuff from the store. once i had it homemade i was transformed.

another distinctly southern food is red velvet cake. this i did not know either. other distinctly southern foods that don't seem distinctly southern?

ron, it's not the manners i miss. it's the longer days, the warmer weather, and the iced tea. i love traveling up north to see friends and family, but when i get back home to the Rut i always feel an overwhelming sense of relief. i love the vast expanses of pecan groves, junked cars, evangelical churches in old bombed out schools--the whole thing. i think the south is a really stupid place, but i love it and i UNDERSTAND it like no other place. and conversely, everything that northerners find charming and quaint about the south i don't care for at all.

i love the vast expanses of pecan groves, junked cars, evangelical churches in old bombed out schools--the whole thing.  i think the south is a really stupid place, but i love it and i UNDERSTAND it like no other place.  and conversely, everything that northerners find charming and quaint about the south i don't care for at all.

and as Lucinda Williams says, "car wheels on a gravel road"

To quote the Indigo Girls, "When God made me a Yankee, he was only teasing." I use that line all the time, as I've lived in North Carolina for more than half my life.

As far as pimiento cheese is concerned, I like to spice it up a bit with some hot sauce. A good, strong, sharp pimiento cheese also goes well with hot pepper jelly, a combination on menu at Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

As far as pimiento cheese is concerned, I like to spice it up a bit with some hot sauce.  A good, strong, sharp pimiento cheese also goes well with hot pepper jelly, a combination on menu at Crook's Corner in Chapel Hill.

Saveur had a good recipe for Pimento Cheese that called for cayenne pepper and aged cheddar. Although, I have been blown away by recipes that used velveeta.

Varmint,

I can't explain it, except that a friend of mine has a "bourbon party" every year where everyone brings bottle of their favorite bourbon and she provides set-ups and food. On the table was a platter of mini-pimento cheese sandwiches. I ate about a dozen of them they were so good. I asked her what the secret was and she said Velveeta. My face looked like this: :blink:

But, I cannot lie, they were damn good.

Hey, Jaymes, I gotta check with Mama first. The recipe is one her own mama perfected, and she's pretty picky about its distribution.

But I'm sure I can sweet-talk her into sharing it . . . :wink:

Perhaps you could PM-it to me. I SWEAR I won't be promiscuous with it.

:biggrin:

(And, I'm not asking something for nothing. I have a "secret recipe" or two I'll trade trade :smile: )

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

i didn't realize til i moved to rutledge that pimiento cheese is a southern  thing, and my northern transplant neighbors explained to me that this was unheard of to them.

Yankees don't have pimento cheese? You cannot be serious.

ron, it's not the manners i miss.  it's the longer days, the warmer weather, and the iced tea.  i love traveling up north to see friends and family, but when i get back home to the Rut i always feel an overwhelming sense of relief.  i love the vast expanses of pecan groves, junked cars, evangelical churches in old bombed out schools--the whole thing.  i think the south is a really stupid place, but i love it and i UNDERSTAND it like no other place.

Hummm... Kind of like.... Italy???

Have we ever had a discussion about "secret" recipes and people's desire to keep them secret?  I always wondered about this protectionism.

Well, I (as I am sure do most of us here) have several "secret" recipes. Some were given to me by friends in the catering biz, some by "competitive" cooks accustomed to winning bakeoffs and county fairs, some by chefs.

I treat the sharing of those recipes on eGullet the same way I treat it in "real life."

That is, I am very careful with whom and how often and in what way I share.

And I mean, very careful.

Which is all I was asked to do when I was entrusted with them.

Perhaps you could PM-it to me.  I SWEAR I won't be promiscuous with it.

(And, I'm not asking something for nothing.  I have a "secret recipe" or two I'll trade trade  :smile:  )

Goodness, Jaymes, you needn't feel you have to reciprocate with a " . . . secret recipe or two" in exchange for that of Mama's Pimento Cheese! And besides, her recipe's not really secret -- just call it "closely-guarded." I've always suspected she wants to make sure it doesn't wind up in the hands of some unscrupulous Yankee. :wink:

That being said, she hasn't gotten back to me as yet (left a phone message and also sent an e-mail), but as soon as she does I'll let you know. That's a promise . . .

Perhaps you could PM-it to me.  I SWEAR I won't be promiscuous with it.

(And, I'm not asking something for nothing.  I have a "secret recipe" or two I'll trade trade  :smile:  )

Goodness, Jaymes, you needn't feel you have to reciprocate with a " . . . secret recipe or two" in exchange for that of Mama's Pimento Cheese!

Well, it seemed only fittin'. :rolleyes:

Goodness, Jaymes, you needn't feel you have to reciprocate with a " . . . secret recipe or two" in exchange for that of Mama's Pimento Cheese!

In *that* case, then, I'll take whatever you feel is "fittin'" enough to swap!

As for Mama's Pimento Cheese recipe, she has given me her maternal permission to pass it on to you. You'll duly receive it tomorrow (Friday), 'cuz I'm woefully behind the eight ball at the moment. Today, we experienced a #$%!&*!??# power outage lasting almost 8 hours; an unamed "eediot" plowed headlong into the power pole that feeds our entire neighborhood, flattening a row of mailboxes in the process! :angry: Needless to say, I've got a bunch of tasks ahead of me before I can call it a night.

Oh, and I've decided I need a gas stove . . .

In *that* case, then, I'll take whatever you feel is "fittin'" enough to swap!

As for Mama's Pimento Cheese recipe, she has given me her maternal permission to pass it on to you. You'll duly receive it tomorrow (Friday), 'cuz I'm woefully behind the eight ball at the moment. Today, we experienced a #$%!&*!??# power outage lasting almost 8 hours; an unamed "eediot" plowed headlong into the power pole that feeds our entire neighborhood, flattening a row of mailboxes in the process! :angry: Needless to say, I've got a bunch of tasks ahead of me before I can call it a night.

Oh, and I've decided I need a gas stove . . .