• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Banana Leaves

woodburner

Thanks! Yetti.

I wonder if I can just use a bit of the ham ha to flavour?

I'm off to Winnipeg for a conference soon. Maybe I'll pick up some Trassi and some more leaves.

Looking forward to making the lemper ayam!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

You can use them to serve Indian food too.

Oooh, Episure -- that is quite lovely! :wub: Would you please describe all the (veggie?) deliciousness on that leaf? I plan to do something like this (but with yellow rice) very soon.

Yetti,

Nice new avatar, I like what you've done with your hair. :smile:

You are right it is a veggie spread.

Starting from 6 o'clock outer ring clockwise:

Poppadom/ Papad/ Appalam

Puris

Yoghurt bowl

Fried chillies

Salt

Rasam bowl

Garlic chatni

a salad of soaked dals/lentils, grated carrots with lime and chill dressing

Beans sauted with shredded coconut

a gourd preparation

Raita

spiced Lassi bowl

Sambhar bowl

Dal

In between:

Green chilli + coconut chatni

sauted cucumber in yoghurt

spiced potatoes

The rice is missing because it is served after you finish the puris.

I'm linking the picture again so you dont have to scroll too much.

banana%20leaf%20meal.jpg

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Thanks, Suresh.  Everything looks so good, how often does one eat a meal in this fashion, special occasions, and eaten with fingertips, yes?

Such a a large variety is served only on occasions or when there are enough guests.

And yes, it is eaten with the fingers. Talk about digital technology. :laugh:

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

I have a bunch of banana trees in my back yard, so I'm interested in what I can do with them, too. By the way, if anybody needs some, just stop by!!!

Oooh, can you send some to me? I'll even offer to apy for postage. Fresh banana leaves are hard to come by.

I use them in chinese cooking to wrap rice in call Tzong Tze. It's sticky rice with some beans, vegetables, braised eggs and dried shrimp.

Also, it is very yummy when you make otak otak or place some rice flour balls with some palm sugar sauce, bananas and coconut shavings.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.