• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Banana Leaves

woodburner

Besides from conchita pibil (a Caribbean dish from the Yucatan peninsula), does any one have a favorite recipe which includes these?

I know it's best to run them above a low flame to soften them up, other than that I could use some help with them.

woodburner

I have used them as a wrapping for Chiapas style tamales and for fish with indirect heat on the grill or smoker. They do a couple of things... trap moisture and add a subtle "sweetish green" note. That isn't a very good description but it is the best I can do. Wilting them over a low flame or in the top of a steamer makes them easier to handle when tying up the packets. If you have bought them frozen, you may not need to do this. Fresh, they tend to split along the vein lines and are the devil to work with so I do wilt them. I am usually getting them fresh off of my sister's or a friend's trees.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Ours have been bearing as long as we've lived in this house - about 16 years. When we get a winter freeze, the next year we get little, if any fruit. In other, non-freeze years, we get 3-6 bunches.

Stop Family Violence

• 2 weeks later...
I have a bunch of banana trees in my back yard, so I'm interested in what I can do with them, too. By the way, if anybody needs some, just stop by!!!

You can wrap the following with banana leaves, securing with tooth-picks:-

1) season a whole fish with your favorite spices/marinade - grill on a bbq

2) season/marinate fish fillets or fish steaks - steam (or grill)

3) season/marinate thinly sliced chicken cutlets, turkey or pork - steam (or grill)

3) season vegetables - steam (or grill)

You can also:-

1) make little square 'baskets' 'pinning' the sides with tooth-picks (cut to size) - use them to steam egg custards or mini quiches.

2) use them to line serving platters for an exotic look, especially when serving grilled foods - like satays or kebabs (..even grilled chicken looks more appetizing!)

3) cut them to size and use as 'place-mats' for an island look (you can can throw them out, no clean-up)

4) line your whole table (instead of newspapers) - when you have a shrimp, crab or crawfish boil!

Wish I lived close to you.. I would love to get my hands on some fresh banana leaves!!

A detailed tour? Certainly! You are cordially invited to join us on the Elsewhere in Asia Forum and the Kuih/Kueh thread that Shiewie started where you'll find more about the pastries of Southeast Asia as well as more photos of the tempting treats of that region. Enjoy!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

• 1 month later...

My little banana tree had some really gorgeous leaves, so I decided to make some pepes ikan, steamed fish in banana leaves.

gallery_11814_148_83461.jpg

gallery_11814_148_74266.jpggallery_11814_148_5934.jpg

gallery_11814_148_57128.jpggallery_11814_148_64388.jpg

Not sure what the English name for the fish is, but they were julung-julung = tiny, swordfish looking. Doused with lime juice, salted then topped with tomato, lemongrass, bay leaf, scallions, shallots, garlic, red pepper, turmeric -- they were so fragrant!

Next I'm going to make some steamed coconut chicken with loads of basil leaves.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

My little banana tree had some really gorgeous leaves, so I decided to make some pepes ikan, steamed fish in banana leaves.

gallery_11814_148_83461.jpg

gallery_11814_148_74266.jpggallery_11814_148_5934.jpg

gallery_11814_148_57128.jpggallery_11814_148_64388.jpg

Not sure what the English name for the fish is, but they were julung-julung = tiny, swordfish looking.  Doused with lime juice, salted  then topped with tomato, lemongrass, bay leaf, scallions, shallots, garlic, red pepper,  turmeric -- they were so fragrant! 

Next I'm going to make some steamed coconut chicken with loads of basil leaves.

you left out the most importnat part......how did it taste..and they look delicious

a recipe is merely a suggestion

ladyyoung98, with all those aromatics and the texture of the fish, they were quite tasty, thanks for asking. Perhaps the next time I steam fish this way, I'll add some ginger to the mix. What do you think?

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

actually that doesnt sound too bad at all...but then again i love ginger and im all for experimentation in cooking...never hurts to push the limits...but you also might want to leave out anything that you feel isnt going to be compatable with the ginger flavor

Edited by ladyyoung98 (log)

a recipe is merely a suggestion

Never feeling quite up to digging an entire pit to create a Hawaiian luau, the next best remedy and easy way to make Kahlua Pig is to take a giant pork butt (20 pounds or so), rub it with liquid smoke and a bit of ultra dark soy sauce. Wrap it up in banana leaves and tie it up with string.

I have this amazing giant steamer pot that I got at a 99 Ranch Market. It is a 20-quart stock pot with a lip on the inside about four inches from the bottom with a perforated tray that lies inside. A few inches of boiling water in the bottom to get some steam and keep the humidity up in the oven. Heat oven up to about 300 or so and put pig in oven for 5 hours or so.

The banana leaves add this depth of flavor and earthiness and the pork falls apart in beautiful shreds.

A few inches of boiling water in the bottom to get some steam and keep the humidity up in the oven. Heat oven up to about 300 or so and put pig in oven for 5 hours or so.

Carolyn, that's fascinating! For the long 5 hour oven steaming, how often is it necessary to add water?

The banana leaves add this depth of flavor and earthiness and the pork falls apart in beautiful shreds.

Hmm, I wonder if this method would work with beef. I'll give it a try. :smile:

You can use them to serve Indian food too.

Oooh, Episure -- that is quite lovely! :wub: Would you please describe all the (veggie?) deliciousness on that leaf? I plan to do something like this (but with yellow rice) very soon.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Carolyn, that's fascinating! For the long 5 hour oven steaming, how often is it necessary to add water?

Hmm, I wonder if this method would work with beef.  I'll give it a try. :smile:

My theory is that the temperature of the oven is set relatively low so the water doesn't evaporate so quickly. I think the last time I did it, I only had to add extra water once.

I don't see why it wouldn't work with beef, however the benefit of doing it with a pork butt is the amount of fat -- if you use beef, I think you should look for one that is HEAVILY marbled. The length of time that the pork is there very slowly renders out the fat and tenderizes the pork -- I would be afraid that beef could ultimately end up being rather dry if not sufficiently larded.

Similar to tamales, I like to do a riff on Rick Bayless' Tamal, which is essentially a great big version of the same thing. I don't have the recipe in front of me right now but the procedure is pretty simple. The beauty of the thing comes from cooking it in the presence of wood smoke for over an hour.

The filling is usually pork. You can either smoke it, braise it, stew it in a chile sauce- whatever you prefer- followed by shredding it when cool enough to handle. It also pays to have some chile sauce on hand. To prepare just line a loaf pan with the banana leaves, fill about an inch high with your masa mixture, add a layer of the pork and sauce, add more masa mixture and cover with the banana leaves.

I do mine on the outdoor propane grill with one side turned on and one side turned off, I place the pan on the 'off side'. I try to maintain 325 degrees and add wood chips (oak or mesquite) to the other side as I go. After it's done let it cool somewhat, remove from the pan and leaves, and slice it about 1" thick. I like to serve it with a pico de gallo made from fire roasted tomatoes and a bit of chipotle or morita powder added.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

ladyyoung98, with all those aromatics and the texture of the fish, they were quite tasty, thanks for asking.  Perhaps the next time I steam fish this way, I'll add some ginger to the mix.  What do you think?

Yetti,

I just checked out the recipe for the chicken and rice wrapped in banana leaves:

Lemper Ayam

What is Trassi? As I won't be able to get any here in Brandon, is it crucial for the taste? Is there anything I can use as a substitue?

I have cooked whole salmon fillet in banana leaves with lots of lime slices, Thai chilis, cilantro, ginger, scallions, lemongrass, salt and fresh ground pepper, splashed with olive oil. These packetsFoil can substitute, but banana leaves are much better! :biggrin:

Carolyn, Thanks for the method for the pork butt! I have a steamer like that and this will be a nice change from the usual pork roast!

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Yetti,

I just checked out the recipe for the chicken and rice wrapped in banana leaves:   Lemper Ayam.  What is Trassi?  As I won't be able to get any here in Brandon, is it crucial for the taste? Is there anything I can use as a substitue?

Most respected Dejah,

If I'm not mistaken trassi/terasi/belacan is similar to haum ha. We had a little discussion about it in your Bi-racial Partnerships thread.

Trassi is the crumbly brown stuff:

gallery_11814_148_1097074791.jpg

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti