• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Hot Sauce Topic

awbrig

23 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

I smoke dry ripe jalapenos every summer. I cut them in half and smoke at about 250F over pecan for 5 or 6 hours. If their not dried yet, I'll put them in the oven on the lowest heat with the door slightly ajar until they are dry. 

That sounds pretty tasty. When you cut the jalapenos, do you remove the seeds and ribs before smoking?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

23 hours ago, FauxPas said:

I like various hot sauces, including the Tucson-made Poblano brand. Nice family story, they've been making their hot sauces here for a long time. 

http://ediblebajaarizona.com/the-power-of-poblano

https://tucson.com/news/local/neto-s-tucson-a-salsa-patriarch-passes-on-his-secret/article_d72a2a30-a6d9-541f-af93-05bad33a27f1.html

That sounds like something I'll have to look for when we're there next. Thanks for the article!

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 minute ago, Smithy said:

That sounds pretty tasty. When you cut the jalapenos, do you remove the seeds and ribs before smoking?

No. I used to smoke dry them whole but the walls were so thick that they took days to completely dry. Cutting them in half saves a bunch of time. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

23 minutes ago, Smithy said:

That sounds like something I'll have to look for when we're there next. Thanks for the article!

They are having some issues because of the recent shutdown though. I couldn't find some of their sauces in the local stores and thought I would order online so I could get a full selection. But the company that handles their online shipping advised me of this:

Unfortunately, the Poblano company is not able to fill our purchase order and we are out of all four flavors.  They make their hot sauce with fresh chiles they get from Mexico.  The 35 day government shutdown kept their chiles on the wrong side of the border as Customs officials were on furlough and there was no one to inspect the shipment.  They also import their glass bottles and had to wait until the shutdown was over for Customs to start inspecting shipments waiting in port.  They hope to get their bottles this coming week.  The company told us it would be another three weeks or so before we can get our green jalapeno and red jalapeno hot sauces.

So, depending when you are back in the area, they may not be too easy to find.  😞

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

"Old Bay has a hot sauce now and some folks are pretty excited"

McCormick & Company, the Maryland-based spice purveyor that makes Old Bay, says it's selling a limited-edition hot sauce that combines the two flavors. It will be available on the company's website starting today.
You can also buy an Old Bay-scented candle while you're there, if that's your thing.

If anyone tries it, please let us know the results.

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 1/29/2020 at 1:43 PM, Paul Bacino said:

Currently Going for a 1yr ferment--  No mold has ever showed up-- 

49446072668_c09a6e6045_c.jpg

49446654511_6de8011a35_c.jpg

On 1/29/2020 at 7:40 PM, gfweb said:

Tell me about that lid, please.

It looks like the Nourished Essentials Easy Fermenter set (available on Amazon here), or a cousin. I'd like to know more too. They look efficient and unmessy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

It looks like the Nourished Essentials Easy Fermenter set (available on Amazon here), or a cousin. I'd like to know more too. They look efficient and unmessy.

It is in fact a Nourished Essentials lid. I have a set that includes four lids, four glass weights, and a pump for sucking out the air, which I have never used. I've about settled on not fermenting much of anything except kraut, which I do in a big food-grade bucket, but I've done brussels sprouts, kimchi  and cauliflower in jars.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 1/31/2020 at 8:54 AM, kayb said:

It is in fact a Nourished Essentials lid. I have a set that includes four lids, four glass weights, and a pump for sucking out the air, which I have never used. I've about settled on not fermenting much of anything except kraut, which I do in a big food-grade bucket, but I've done brussels sprouts, kimchi  and cauliflower in jars.

@Smithy

This  ^    I have 4 lids/weights and the pump.  I bought this to try longer ferments.  I have no signs of mold  and I'm out 10 months...its in the basement 

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its good to have Morels

• 2 weeks later...

I had an interesting hot sauce on a recent cruise to Mexico and Central America. We had gone to a market and had an assortment of tacos for lunch. There was three hot sauces on the table two of which were habanero based. One I liked much better than the other. When I asked about them, I was told that the one I liked a just habanero with the assumption that the other had more ingredients. I can't imagine there was only habanero peppers in there. I wish I had done more research and tried to find a source for the sauce but I suspect that it was made in-house.

• 2 years later...

I ran out of my favorite day to day sauce last week, Valentina's, and found it out of stock in the area.

This is my current pantry stock of unopened sauces (all Canadian) and all too hot for day to day use:

DSCN0427.thumb.JPG.f5a23a284e49e8d7383298546b89560c.JPG

And these are currently in use (again all Canadian):

DSCN0430.thumb.JPG.a97280468d51183c15b503be25e4d990.JPG

The Damien's sauces are very good (especially the LZ with fish. 

I also have these jellies. The PC hasn't been tried yet. The Mango Reaper jam is really good when used in moderation (especially with Brie or Liverwurst).

DSCN0431.thumb.JPG.a3ec73c8772a4fbb4f8a6761f4eb5214.JPG

I've used many others such as Frank's, Tabasco (and many clones), Siracha type sauces......etc, etc.

My question to dedicated and casual users is what do you use and why. I'm certain I can pick up some tips here.

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

In my rotation:

Crystal, to cook with.   I will substitute Texas Pete if Crystal is unavailable.   Mild heat, lots of acid, otherwise clean.

For the table I like Cholula or Valentina’s with Mexican food or anything else where I’m ok with the strong cumin note.

Rancho Gordo’s Chipotle Sauce is also excellent.

I have the same bottle of Siracha everyone seems to have,  though I work through it slowly.

I usually have a bottle of habanero sauce around somewhere, but I’m not brand loyal and usually just buy whatever looks fun

I don’t have a lot of use for Tabasco (bland) or the concentrated capsaicin sauces (heat no flavor)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

Glad to read others like Cholula; it's made here in Chapala a few miles from my home.  

We, too, have Cholula, in honor of my recent visit with friends in Chapala. We also have Crystal and sriracha.

Then there are two locally-made sauces: Mrs. Dog's Dang Hot Pepper Sauce (habanero-based, Jamaican-style) and Blis Blast Hot Pepper Sauce (aged in oak barrels formerly used for bourbon, maple syrup, and stout).

And two by Marie Sharp's, from Belize: Original Mild [ha!] Habanero Pepper Sauce and Mango Habanero Pepper Sauce.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

My go to is El Yucateco, the Mayan recipe if I can find it. Original if I can't.

I also like Frank's, it isn't the slightest bit hot but has good flavor and vinegar.

I still use Tabasco for Creole/New Orleans cooking. 

1 hour ago, chileheadmike said:

My go to is El Yucateco, the Mayan recipe if I can find it. Original if I can't.

I also like Frank's, it isn't the slightest bit hot but has good flavor and vinegar.

I still use Tabasco for Creole/New Orlea..ns cooking. 

Agree about Frank's. I'll be on the lookout for El Yucateco.

Just curious. Is the opposum a Jed Clampett quote?

18 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Our regulars (all available in Canada) are Cholula, Tapatio, Franks, and Siracha.

Siracha seems to have disappeared. The others are available locally.

26 minutes ago, kayb said:

I like Pickapeppa. Not all that hot (I keep Tabasco around for that), but a great blend of flavors. Very complex. Caribbean in origin, I think.

Haven't tried that one however a Jamaican brand readily available here is Grace's of which I like the Scotch Bonnet Sauce.

8 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Siracha seems to have disappeared. The others are available locally.

Haven't tried that one however a Jamaican brand readily available here is Grace's of which I like the Scotch Bonnet Sauce.

If you are interested in making your own Scotch Bonnet sauce, send me a PM.  I have been making it for a long time and the hot sauce people in my family love it.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Agree about Frank's. I'll be on the lookout for El Yucateco.

Just curious. Is the opposum a Jed Clampett quote?

Yes, it is.  I've had it for so long I forgot it was there. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, gulfporter said:

Glad to read others like Cholula; it's made here in Chapala a few miles from my home.  

cholula.jpg

I sent our late Fat Guy a rice cooker implement he'd lost and included a bottle along with a box of See's assorted chocolates. See's an LA product and the Cholula always an option even in diners around here = so a taste of L.A..  Tapatio and both regular and green Tabasco always at diner type places. 

Hit sauce fun fact: remember the hoopla about Hillary;s hot sauce in  her bag?  https://time.com/4297996/hillary-clinton-hot-sauce/

Edited by heidih (log)

23 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

Yes, it is.  I've had it for so long I forgot it was there. 

The very first episode, in fact. :)

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning