• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Hot Sauce Topic

awbrig

I've been using that chili garlic sauce for a long time - it's a great quick addition to other sauces.  If I'm out of fresh chilis, I'll use a spoon of this in a thai som tam, just as one example.  I also like their sambal oelek.

On 10/14/2018 at 3:47 PM, heidih said:

I maybe posted this before but 12 pages!  i have recently become re-enamored with the Huy Fong chili-garlic. Forget sriracha - that is nice but like catsup. In am fond of many different hot sauces but this very fresh tasting one has reinserted itself into my kitchen.  

Hmmmm! And NO added sugar!!!

I'm going to give it a try and then attempt to ferment something similar. 

I've got a bunch of Matchbox chilies that need attention!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I've drifted away from habanero sauces over the past couple of years. I still use them but not as much as I used to.  I haven't gotten into hot sauces enough to order them, so my favorites are just from what's available in the grocery stores here.  My three favorites are produced in state, and that may be why I'm able find them in the stores here.  Not sure how widely available they are.  They're SaSo Red Pepper Chipotle, SaSo Chile Pequin, and Burns & McCoy Especia Roja.

Rounding out my top ten are El Yucateco Chipotle(more like a really hot barbecue sauce than typical hot sauce), Gringo Bandito Red, Pico Pica Hot Sauce(unfortunately the stores here appear to have stopped carrying it), Valentina Black Label(my really low budget favorite), Tapatio, Cholula Original, and Cholula Chili Garlic.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2018 at 3:47 PM, heidih said:

I maybe posted this before but 12 pages!  i have recently become re-enamored with the Huy Fong chili-garlic. Forget sriracha - that is nice but like catsup. In am fond of many different hot sauces but this very fresh tasting one has reinserted itself into my kitchen.  

hot sauce.JPG

I bought a jar of this earlier today—I've already used about 1/3 of it!!! devil2.gif

• Like 4

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I bought a jar of this earlier today—I've already used about 1/3 of it!!! devil2.gif

We had quite the controvrsy when they were going to shut the factory down due to odor complaints! Idiots. Its in Irwindale - yup where on a clear day the racetrack noise will shatter you on traffic and auditory levels.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huy_Fong_Foods   http://irwindalespeedway.com/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, heidih said:

We had quite the controvrsy when they were going to shut the factory down due to odor complaints! Idiots. Its in Irwindale - yup where on a clear day the racetrack noise will shatter you on traffic and auditory levels.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huy_Fong_Foods   http://irwindalespeedway.com/

Yep, I remember that! :wacko:

5 hours ago, heidih said:

It seemed pretty clear to me, as a Chicagoan, that it was a transparent ploy to extract money from them.  The complaint (singular, as I recall) was from some relative of a politician....

Well politics. Luckiliy it is back in production. There  are more complex and interesting sauces but I like that average Joe has embraced it. A  local mens recovery home buys it by the case to flavor up their often boring food. 

Edited by heidih (log)

41 minutes ago, dscheidt said:

Speaking of Rooster brand stuff, this ran today:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/01/16/681944292/in-home-of-original-sriracha-sauce-thais-say-rooster-brand-is-nothing-to-crow-ab

tl:dr Thais who sample it don't think it's very good.  Too much heat, not balanced. 

Having sampled both Rooster and real Sriracha from Sriracha, I concur. Fortunately, I get the real deal here, in both red and yellow varieties.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I've already used about 1/3 of it!!! devil2.gif

Now more than half GONE! 

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Having sampled both Rooster and real Sriracha from Sriracha, I concur. Fortunately, I get the real deal here, in both red and yellow varieties.

I agree also - but the problem is that non Rooster brand Sriracha is practically unavailable in the US.

Really?  We get all types in our Asian markets.  I have had discussions with folks in the market and depending on cultural background they have preferences. Of course Los Angeles is an Asian food hub though I think NYC is as well. (hell only magazine I subscribe to is New Yorker...) 

Edited by heidih (log)

California obviously isn't Thailand—that's why it's called California!!! :laugh:

The matter of using jalapenos instead of Thai chiles amounts to availability, mostly.

There simply are not enough Thai type chilies available—for various reasons.

Demand has been so high that David has even had issues sourcing enough ubiquitous, relatively thick walled, jalapenos, at times.

It is what it is, take it or leave it!

Firetalkers: Interview with David Tran of Huy Fong Foods, Inc., Makers of Sriracha “Rooster” Sauce.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Smoke Canyon Smoke Roasted Jalapeno Sauce was a very good sauce, but it doesn't seem to be made anymore. 

I'd like to recreate it.

I have various smokers.

I'm not exactly sure where to go with this one—any suggestions as to what temperature to "smoke roast" the chiles and ohneeyohns? g.gif

Ingredients: Jalapeno Peppers, Onions, White Wine Vinegar, Filtered Water, Garlic, Lemon Juice, Sea Salt, Sugar and Spices.

Huy Fong Chile Garlic sauce is my go to sauce.  So much flavor and balance.  I gave up on their Sriracha after having it. 

TJ's used to have their own brand of Sriracha that was really good, but I haven't seen it in a while, maybe discontinued.  It did not taste like Huy Fong's, it was less salty and a bit sweeter.

TJ's Green Dragon was fruitier and hotter than the Sriracha.

TJ's Yuzu hot sauce is very very good.

An unusual hot sauce I found locally (cheap, like a buck a bottle) is La Negra Va, an inky black hot sauce, I'm not sure what gives it its color.  It is hot, and not tangy with vinegar.  It's marketed for seafood.  La Negra Va (Facebook link)

• Like 3

I have, in my hot sauce basket in the cabinet:

• Tabasco
  • Crystal
  • Louisiana
  • Cholula
  • Pappadeaux 
  • Who Dat's Cajun Reserve (very regional, made by an area Cajun restaurant and sold only there, that I know of)
  • Pickapeppa
  • Chile garlic sauce
  • Sriracha
  • A couple of other Asian chile sauces
  • "Pepper sauce," made as my Mama always made it, by packing tiny peppers into a bottle, pouring white vinegar over them, and letting it sit for a couple or three months.

If I could only have one, it'd be Pickapeppa.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

20 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Smoke Canyon Smoke Roasted Jalapeno Sauce was a very good sauce, but it doesn't seem to be made anymore. 

I'd like to recreate it.

I have various smokers.

I'm not exactly sure where to go with this one—any suggestions as to what temperature to "smoke roast" the chiles and ohneeyohns? g.gif

Ingredients: Jalapeno Peppers, Onions, White Wine Vinegar, Filtered Water, Garlic, Lemon Juice, Sea Salt, Sugar and Spices.

I smoke dry ripe jalapenos every summer. I cut them in half and smoke at about 250F over pecan for 5 or 6 hours. If their not dried yet, I'll put them in the oven on the lowest heat with the door slightly ajar until they are dry. 

• Like 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

I like various hot sauces, including the Tucson-made Poblano brand. Nice family story, they've been making their hot sauces here for a long time. 

http://ediblebajaarizona.com/the-power-of-poblano

https://tucson.com/news/local/neto-s-tucson-a-salsa-patriarch-passes-on-his-secret/article_d72a2a30-a6d9-541f-af93-05bad33a27f1.html

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FauxPas said:

I like various hot sauces, including the Tucson-made Poblano brand. Nice family story, they've been making their hot sauces here for a long time. 

http://ediblebajaarizona.com/the-power-of-poblano

https://tucson.com/news/local/neto-s-tucson-a-salsa-patriarch-passes-on-his-secret/article_d72a2a30-a6d9-541f-af93-05bad33a27f1.html

That sauce is the real deal.  Love it on breakfast eggs and such.

• Like 1