• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

C. sapidus

C. sapidus

Splelnig

The past 2 years Mrs. C has given me hot sauce Advent calendars, so I get to try 20-some hot sauces in small bottles. Usually takes about a year to go through them all. Some of the habanero / Scotch bonnet sauces have been eye-openers, in both ways. I had not been using those sauces but discovered that the combination of fruity flavors with appreciable heat enhances many dishes.

Otherwise my staples lately have been Melinda's Extra Hot, Tiger Sauce (sweet, mild), and Cholula or Tapatio.

I generally do not enjoy Tabasco or Frank's, unless I want a dish to taste strongly of vinegar (which works well for collard greens).

C. sapidus

C. sapidus

The past 2 years Mrs. C has given me hot sauce Advent calendars, so I get to try 20-some hot sauces in small bottles. Usually takes about a year to go through them all. Some of the habanero / Scotch bonnet sauces have been eye-openers, in both ways. I had not been using hose sauces but discovered that the combination of fruity flavors with appreciable heat enhances many dishes.

Otherwise my staples lately have been Melinda's Extra Hot, Tiger Sauce (sweet, mild), and Cholula or Tapatio.

I generally do not enjoy Tabasco or Frank's, unless I want a dish to taste strongly of vinegar (which works well for collard greens).