• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican in Vancouver

peppyre

Had lunch at the new taco shack today and I believe I can say without reservation that Gerald, Noah and crew nailed it.  For just under seven dollars you receive three tacos (any combination of beef, chicken or fish).  The tacos speak of a genuine time, place and feel and are true to their taco truck routes: moist slow-cooked meats on homemade tortillas (one, not two, as their rendition is slightly thicker than what you might get in a taco truck), served with cilantro, lime, and your choice of sauce - roasted tomato based or tomatilla based, as well as optional pico de gallo.  The fish is served with cabbage and a nice creme based sauce that has a nice smoky kick.  Kicks taco del mar's ass, as well.

To me, a large part of authenticity is respect for the ingredient and means of production.  In this sense of the word, the taco shack is right on.  These guys obviously know and care about the roots of what they are doing, and it is evident in the product.  And don't worry Ling, it tastes good, too.

There are some forums where this much yet to be deserved exuberance would be labeled... Plant!!

I tried a quesadilla and while it was tasty it had too much orange cheddar melted in it to be particularly authentic.

I agree about the fish taco needing to be deep fried to be authentic but I bet there are a lot of people who will prefer them the way they are.

Still, this is going to be a great addition to Kits Point once they iron out the details.....and add carnitas!!

With a scorcher of a weekend on the way and fireworks Wednesday after that the learning curve is gonna be steep!

given my history with mr. tritt, i think it's safe to say i'm no plant. i only tried the tacos, so i can only comment on those, and as I said, they're good. i've been to places in LA that grill the fish in the taco, but yeah deep-fried seems to be the norm. as long as they are treating the ingredient and the concept with the proper respect, it's authentic enough for me.

re: the quesadillas, sounds like they need to find a place to source some queso fresco, and crumble some of that insead. regardless, a serious taqueria that is not a 30 minute drive away and subject to variable opening hours gets a thumbs up from me.

the service was good, but then again, i was one of only a couple people in there. we'll see if they can withstand a signficant rush.

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

Kicks taco del mar's ass, as well.

Jeeezuz! :blink: Why'd you have to go drag Taco del Mar into the conversation? This is like saying Holt-Renfrew kick's Walmart's ass in clothing.

I think it's an appropriate comparison simply because TDM one of the few places in Vancouver that sells a fish taco. i think go fish might have one as well, but i haven't tried it.

The similarity ends with the word "taco" in the company name. But you;re right about the fish taco ... even the Red Burrito didn't do fish last I checked.

Go Fish has "tacones", and they are done similar to those at the Taco Shack i.e. the fish is not deep fried. Go Fish also grills the tacos a bit more so they're crispy, and rolls them in a cone shape. These are still my fave.

A.

Kicks taco del mar's ass, as well.

Jeeezuz! :blink: Why'd you have to go drag Taco del Mar into the conversation? This is like saying Holt-Renfrew kick's Walmart's ass in clothing.

I think it's an appropriate comparison simply because TDM one of the few places in Vancouver that sells a fish taco. i think go fish might have one as well, but i haven't tried it.

The similarity ends with the word "taco" in the company name. But you;re right about the fish taco ... even the Red Burrito didn't do fish last I checked.

Go Fish has "tacones", and they are done similar to those at the Taco Shack i.e. the fish is not deep fried. Go Fish also grills the tacos a bit more so they're crispy, and rolls them in a cone shape. These are still my fave.

A.

I saw PaJo's had fish taco's as a new addition on their menu board, had to smile when I saw that, of course thinking of Go Fish. Unfortunately, since we didn't eat there, can't report back. Heard about a place in Lansdowne Centre Mall in Richmond, taco's and such, anyone tried it?

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Good Morning Guys

Thanks for all the comments and feedback about the taco shack. To answer a couple of the thoughts re the fish taco's and the use of the single tortilla.

1. fish taco- the further you get from the US border the less deep fried the food, "authentic" mexican fish taco's are pan fried fish. As my mexican salsa teacher (the food not the dance) says, we can't afford deep fryers.

2. single wrap tortillas- most places use dbl wraps, however when making our own, because they are fresh, they have more moisture content and the glutens are more active, as such their is no need to dbl up.

again thanks for the comments

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

Ahhh....That hadn't been clear from the menu. I thought it just said "beef"? Thanks for clarifying. Do you keep the pieces large and grill them? Or is it more of the stewed type?

I know my description is not so great, so I tried to find a picture. The only one I could find of what I meant is on the right hand side of this link: picture

Oh wait, just found another one that is much better: Skirt steak taco

Edited by Vancouver (log)

Ahhh....That hadn't been clear from the menu.  I thought it just said "beef"?  Thanks for clarifying.  Do you keep the pieces large and grill them?  Or is it more of the stewed type?

I know my description is not so great, so I tried to find a picture.  The only one I could find of what I meant is on the right hand side of this link:  picture

The menu says steak,

we grill them in large pieces them cut them down to small bite size pieces. We tried the other ways but this keeps the meat moist.

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

[We use an inside skirt for our steak taco.

The inside skirt - isn't that a slip steak? :cool:

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

Mmm, skirt tacos...

Forgive my ignorance, but is skirt steak the cut used for "carne asada"? If yes, then I'll be down to Kits shortly. When I was visiting a friend in San Diego a few years ago, I got hooked on carne asada from a little roadside place called Roberto's but have not had the same experience since.

Mmm, skirt tacos...

Forgive my ignorance, but is skirt steak the cut used for "carne asada"?

Si, senor (or is that BC, Senor?) - skirt (or flank) steak is generally used for carne asada.

Edited by Memo (log)

after a nice couple hours at kits beach, we pigged out at the taco shack. reaction from our first visit was very positive! we tried the steak, fish and chicken tacos. my wife loved the fresh-made tortillas. i liked them...they're different than the pre-made chilo's ones that i'm used to. not that the taco shack ones are better or worse...they're just different.

the big guy there warms up the tortillas on the grill, and gives them a spritz of oil [CORRECTION: mostly water] with a spray bottle. very nice :)

fillings were plentiful, and lots of topping options: onions, cabbage, guacamole, cilantro, lime, pico de gallo, salsa roja, salsa verde...and for the texmex crowd, cheddar and sour cream.

i loved the steak. flavourful and tender...didn't need any salt. will definitely visit again if we're in the area!

gallery_24789_3304_81121.jpg

gallery_24789_3304_56109.jpg

is this the beginning of vancouver's own westside vs eastside taco rivalry? :rolleyes:

edit: spelling, oil/water

Edited by flowbee (log)
album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

the big guy there warms up the tortillas on the grill, and gives them a spritz of oil with a spray bottle. very nice

The spritzing of oil is totally unnecessary (and not traditional). Seems like the oil is just adding grease/fat to the quotient.

If that's the case - then bring on the lard! :raz:

Edited by Memo (log)

the big guy there warms up the tortillas on the grill, and gives them a spritz of oil with a spray bottle. very nice

The spritzing of oil is totally unnecessary (and not traditional). Seems like the oil is just adding grease/fat to the quotient.

If that's the case - then bring on the lard! :raz:

The spritzing is actually 97%water and 3% oil, that is simply to ensure the softness of the tortilla. As for tradtitional, it is done on alot of taco trucks, that aren't necessarily afforded a steamer.

it is also done in homes where they make the tortillas for a big event a day before.

I think you will find that our torts are not greasy.

I would also like to thank everyone for the comments here, they really help.

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

thanks for the clarification Gerald... i realized later that spritzing oil on a grill wouldn't really make the sizzling sound that i remember hearing.

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

Looking good Gerald. Now, if you'd only just grant my request for tongue, I'd be there in a minute.

I just can't bring myself to do it. As a jewish kid that grew up around deli I can always remember my dad ordering a tongue sandwich "from the tip end" still makes me shudder. As a naive kid I used to wonder what happened to all those poor cows with no tongues.

Then I bought a burger shack :wink:

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

The spritzing is actually 97%water and 3% oil, that is simply to ensure the softness of the tortilla.  As for tradtitional, it is done on alot of taco trucks, that aren't necessarily afforded a steamer.

it is also done in homes where they make the tortillas for a big event a day before.

Thanks, Gerald.

Now - any plans for sheep-eye tacos? I've only eaten them once, in Mexico City - sticky, gelatinous - but boy did my fingernails grow fast!!!

The spritzing is actually 97%water and 3% oil, that is simply to ensure the softness of the tortilla.  As for tradtitional, it is done on alot of taco trucks, that aren't necessarily afforded a steamer.

Thanks, Gerald.

Now - any plans for sheep-eye tacos? I've only eaten them once, in Mexico City - sticky, gelatinous - but boy did my fingernails grow fast!!!

They were our giveaway taco's yesterday, do you mash them or eat them whole so you can feel them pop in your mouth

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

[Now - any plans for sheep-eye tacos? I've only eaten them once, in Mexico City - sticky, gelatinous - but boy did my fingernails grow fast!!!

They were our giveaway taco's yesterday, do you mash them or eat them whole so you can feel them pop in your mouth

Well, they don't actually pop in your mouth - they're more like melon-balls-in-wallpaper-paste-meets-sticky-goober-jelly.

They fit in well with the whole-beast philosophy. Use everything, even if it's just a texture. And be sure to add lots of salsa picante!

I just can't bring myself to do it.  As a jewish kid that grew up around deli I can always remember my dad ordering a tongue sandwich "from the tip end" still makes me shudder. 

Does this mean you won't be serving pork?