• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican in Vancouver

peppyre

Tacos Mexico Rico

Authentic Mexican Food

102-440 W. Hastings St. (Near Richards Street)

Thank you for this recommendation. I finally got around to trying it and was pleasantly surprised. The horchata was tasty (and I had been looking for a good horchata someplace in Vancouver), and I enjoyed the good variety of traditional soft tacos. The choices included 2 types of lamb, tounge, and several others. They were served with freshly chopped cilantro, onions, salsa, salsa verde, lime wedges, and hot sauces all on the side so you can customize each taco to your personal taste. The service was extremely friendly as well, and it clearly has a loyal customer base that hangs out there to chat. I will certainly return to try the rest of the menu.

Cheers!

• 3 months later...

I've driven past La Casita a couple of times (Cordova and Abott) and have been meaning to try it out. Apparently the Georgia Straight (dead to me!) gave it a good review - which would account for the busy crowd. My brother tried to have lunch there today - but they had run of food to serve(!).

I thought that it was very good. Ceviche with chips was very fresh tasting with sweet cod and a citrus tomato dressing. Ceviche creeps me out - but this was very good. I had the tortilla soup which started with a rich chicken stock and came with tortillas, avocados, and cheese - nourishing and satisfying. For my main - had the oinion and potato flautas - crispy rolls napped in crema and crumbled cheese. Again fresh and clean tasting.

The place has a scrappy vibe and feels at home in the neigbourhood. Worth checking out.

The night I was there - I could see these people walking past the window of La Casita heading to a club all decked out in S&M/Bondage gear. Not just the tacky 'Kink' crap - but really nicely put together well made leather wear. Who says people in Vancouver don't put in some effort when they go out?

gallery_25348_1380_11343.jpggallery_25348_1380_18926.jpg

Edited by canucklehead (log)

I've driven past La Casita a couple of times (Cordova and Abott)....

Isn't this the location of the late, lamented Hombres?

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Went to La Casita tonight. It was pretty busy and understaffed (one front of house, one cook, one d/w). waited over an hour for first plate of food. Food was just ok. Overall experience, only ok.

Even though she was in the weeds, the lone young blonde server was to be commended. She handled the door, phone, bar, food running, order taking, and i even saw here helping in the kitchen. She never broke a sweat, and kept her cool. Surely she can do better than place. Someone offer her a better job. She was too good for that place.

Still lots of better places in town for mexican food.

Why doesn't someone open a big kickass Mexican place in town. I've always felt that that a certain spot opposite kits beach on Corwall would be very successful as a Mexican sort of Cantina style Brewpub...built new from the ground up......underground parking, etc. It would be a license to print money. I can't imagine people not wanting cold beer and mexican food after spending the afternoon on kits beach.

Edited by Stinky Cook (log)

I've always felt that that a certain spot opposite kits beach on Corwall would be very successful as a Mexican sort of Cantina style Brewpub...built new from the ground

Like Senor Frogs? :wink:

Lavase, y conduce a mi. Bathe her, and bring her to me

Thats a handy phrase! :shock:

Tio Pepes was the worst restaurant I have ever been to in Vancouver. They had absolutely no pizazz in the kitchen. The meat in my enchilada was incredibly tough, and the entire thing was DRENCHED with cheese.

It has been a running joke in my family that we will return to tio pepes. it was seriously the worst meal i've ever eaten out.

Stinky - where do you like to go? 

I like topanga overall. I like the appetizers at las margaritas (mini chimis rock), but the entree's not as much. Torta subs at the place on Hastings across from the Sears tower are great. So are their little soft pork tacos. I've tried some other places, but I do not prefer them enough to return.

There is a decent place in Seattle upstairs on broadway, and another in West Seattle that has picnic tables inside.

I wish there was more to like, i just can't find anything else that "floats my boat". That is why i feel there is a void in the market for Mexican and/or Tex/Mex style food. Haven't you noticed that anywhere that is half decent is always very busy?

I like topanga overall. I like the appetizers at las margaritas (mini chimis rock), but the entree's not as much. Torta subs at the place on Hastings across from the Sears tower are great. So are their little soft pork tacos. I've tried some other places, but I do not prefer them enough to return.

There is a decent place in Seattle upstairs on broadway, and another in West Seattle that has picnic tables inside.

I wish there was more to like, i just can't find anything else that "floats my boat". That is why i feel there is a void in the market for Mexican and/or Tex/Mex style food. Haven't you noticed that anywhere that is half decent is always very busy?

Mexican foods in Vancouver are one of those cuisines that I give an 'A' for effort for the most part. La Casita makes alot of their things from scratch and I like the home made touches in their food. However - I agree with you that there is'nt a stellar place in Vancouver for Mexican.

I think that an underlying reason for this is simply a lack of a large latino population in Vancouver. For many chinese people - going out to eat is by default means going to a chinese restaurant. This keeps turnover and standards high. For mexican places - most of the time - they are getting people who are 'in the mood' for mexican food. So turnover is lower and the economics of making everything from scratch gets tougher. I mean - even Taco Del Mar is shutting down locations - if can't get people to eat the fast food version of the food - well then it an uphill climb.

I've noticed though - that there seems to be a increase little places opening up - clustered around the english language schools on Hastings. So - I try out these places and support them as I can.

You know - I've seen Whole Foods selling all sorts of dried chiles and even cactus. I wish someone like Shelora could do a demo in their store as to how to use south of the border ingredients (hint hint)

I mean - even Taco Del Mar is shutting down locations

Is there a smilie for least suprising revelation ever, 'cuz if so I'd use it right now.

Anyway, I'm going to arrange a trade, Rick Bayless from Chicago for Rob Feenie and future considerations. Think they'll go for it? Actually, maybe we should package up some Cantonese chefs, ship them off along with a couple hundred poundss of salmon. It'd work.

You know - I've seen Whole Foods selling all sorts of dried chiles and even cactus. I wish someone like Shelora could do a demo in their store as to how to use south of the border ingredients (hint hint)

I did a demo at Urban Fare a couple of years ago for Cinco de Mayo - I made killer ceviche with wild salmon and avocado. I've still got the recipe sheets if you want them.

I'm not sure why stores carry products like cactus and dried chilies when the majority of the population doesn't have a clue what to do with them. I've approached stores here in Victoria about doing demos, but nobody has bitten.

It's all really simple to use these wonderful products.

And I agree let's just get the taco carts rolling, then we can work on the finer points of interior Mexican cuisines as opposed to the Northern and coastal cuisines - I really don't want to see another fajita or chimichanga as long as I live. Mexico has so much to offer our palates and we continue to get the same old slop.

I don't want to think about it too much, its too depressing.

canucklehead,Sep 14 2005, 09:45 AM

I think that an underlying reason for this is simply a lack of a large latino population in Vancouver.

I agree - and also, I believe that the majority of the population just want to re-live the Corona/beach-party element of a past vacation. Hence the wacky borderline palapa decor (think cactus-backed chairs, etc).

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

I think that an underlying reason for this is simply a lack of a large latino population in Vancouver. For many chinese people - going out to eat is by default means going to a chinese restaurant. This keeps turnover and standards high.

While at the El Salvadorian restaurant on Commercial, I read through a small phone book sized directory of Latino owned or themed businesses/services etc., (covered the GVA), it seemed that there is likely quite a large population. However, it seems that they are not as obvious for lack of a better word as the Chinese, which although I know is now all the same thing, I would probably describe it more so as the "Hong Kong" culture that is more obvious and has fostered the huge amount of Chinese restaurants. The Latino culture seems to me more like the Greek culture used to be, or even the South East Asian (traditionally called Indian) culture/cuisine which certainly has exploded beyond belief over the last few years. I saw a little Mexican place on Hastings, around Slocan?, is it new, any good? Haven't been to the one further up in Burnaby yet. I guess we need a Latino / Mexican / .... "Vij", to jumpstart the trend of better places to eat, as opposed to what we have. I vaguely remember Chi Chi's, yikes! :rolleyes:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

A couple of years ago, I had tamales de elote, the fresh corn-in-corn tamales, at that El Salvadorian restaurant on Commercial Drive, ~cayenne~. They were wonderfully authentic, in a Mexican street-breakfast kind of way - steamed in corn husks with a side drizzle of crema.

I believe it's the mother there who occasionally prepares them - when the corn is in season.

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

I've stumbled upon this thread way way too late in the game.

You'll love what we have in store, I hope, come December.

Would anyone here be interested in a focus group for a modern interpretation of latin cooking?

We'll probably get started on menu development by October/November and I would welcome the opportunity to get feedback from you all.

Owner

Winebar @ Fiction

Lucy Mae Brown

Century - modern latin -

Jeez, We feel like Mexican food tonight.

Let's start with a wild Mezcal purchased from the Gutierrez family in Matatlan, Oaxaca. Let's sip it from those Reidel glasses specially designed for tequila. Mmmmm, so earthy.

PICTA1.JPG

A perfect accompaniment is a hand ground guacamole made in the volcanic stone molcajete. The "mano" you see - works as the grinder - and is in the image of a liitle dog with a corn cob in his mouth. Good dog!

PICTA2.JPG

I guess it's time for a little something more substantial. The smoked pasilla chiles of Oaxaca biting in their heat, but balanced out by the hot melting cheese inside and the tomato caldo with hints of epazote, looking an awful lot like marijuana.

Ambrosia.

PICTA3.JPG

Then let's cap it off by having a chile ancho stuffed with a classic picadillo - shredded pork, plump raisins, tomatoes and almonds perfumed with cloves, cinnamon and black pepper. This rich dish rests on a warmed crema with cilantro.

PICTA4.JPG

Gosh, I'm stuffed. I love this restaurant!

I'm clearly missing something. You made this, correct? Or ate in it Mexico? THis food is not available withing a 2000 mile radius of my house.

And Reidel makes a tequila glass? WTF? Imagine how much better it would have tasted if you had the Riedel Mezcal glass.

And now I'm super hungry. Off to the kitchen for some lame pale immiatation of the glory above.

Clearly, the solution is for Shelora to move to Vancouver and open up a Mexican restaurant. I guess we can dream...

mtigges: I bought a small epazote plant from one of the ladies selling planted herbs at the Trout Lake Farmer's Market. If it self-seeds as she promised, I should have some to share next spring.

If she doesn't have any epazote when you go, she can bring it in the next week. At least, that's what she told me when I inquired about a curry plant.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

The other night we we're in need of some Latin Dinner fare and Banano's was already queued in my speed dial. Fifteen minutes later I was at their front door awaiting my take out goodness.

Two orders of Bandeja Paisa (traditional Columbian dish) which include: Ground Beef, Rice, Beans, Fried plantains, a fried egg, sausage, avocado, pork puff, and an arepa. Then an order of their beef Nachos and a fresh Banano's Salad. Everything extra spicy of course. :wub:

IMO this place rocks and is better than any other Mexican / Latin restaurants around.

Located at 1223 Pacific Blvd.

The other night we we're in need of some Latin Dinner fare and Banano's  was already queued in my speed dial.  Fifteen minutes later I was at their front door awaiting my take out goodness. 

Two orders of Bandeja Paisa (traditional Columbian dish) which include: Ground Beef, Rice, Beans, Fried plantains, a fried egg, sausage, avocado, pork puff, and an arepa.  Then an order of their beef Nachos and a fresh Banano's Salad.  Everything extra spicy of course.  :wub:

IMO this place rocks and is better than any other Mexican / Latin restaurants around.

Located at 1223 Pacific Blvd.

Very nearly went there the other night myself! but their apparent lack of a liquor license and my lack of beer in the fridge dissuaded me. Soon, though! I usually trust your recommendations :smile:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I'm going to take Paopao's recco and give it a go. I've heard from two (non food oriented) friends that it was brutally bad, but I suspected it didn't live up to their expectations of a week at the Club Med in Mazatlan, as it were. Your praise makes me think the chips/salsa/cerveza crowd might not get it.

The menu has always looked good to me.

• 3 weeks later...
I've driven past La Casita a couple of times (Cordova and Abott) and have been meaning to try it out.  Apparently the Georgia Straight (dead to me!) gave it a good review - which would account for the busy crowd.  My brother tried to have lunch there today - but they had run of food to serve(!).

I thought that it was very good.  Ceviche with chips was very fresh tasting with sweet cod and a citrus tomato dressing.  Ceviche creeps me out - but this was very good.  I had the tortilla soup which started with a rich chicken stock and came with tortillas, avocados, and cheese - nourishing and satisfying.  For my main - had the oinion and potato flautas - crispy rolls napped in crema and crumbled cheese.  Again fresh and clean tasting.

The place has a scrappy vibe and feels at home in the neigbourhood.  Worth checking out.

The night I was there - I could see these people walking past the window of La Casita heading to a club all decked out in S&M/Bondage gear.  Not just the tacky 'Kink' crap - but really nicely put together well made leather wear.  Who says people in Vancouver don't put in some effort when they go out?

gallery_25348_1380_11343.jpggallery_25348_1380_18926.jpg

We headed to La Casita for lunch today and we're not disappointed. This place is now my new #1 Mexican Food joint in Vancouver.

My amigo and I had a large Ceviche with slices of Avocado and home made chips. Then we both ordered the Beef Burrito that comes with Rice, Black Beans and a Salad. This all paired very nicely with a Dos Equis.

I ate every bite, the whole meal was fantastic. This is a sorely needed oasis of pretty damn good fare in an ocean of Vancouver’s Mexican food mediocrity.

Ole' :raz:

PaoPao,

What are the photographs of that you posted? The top photo looks like a soup.

Those photo's, as much as I would like to take credit for posting such delicious pics, were done by Canucklehead.

Mmmm, thinking about going there for lunch today ......

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday for lunch we headed to a new place located at 8718 Granville St. called Casa de Amigos Cafe. Owned and ran by a great fellow named Larry, he opened it 3 months ago to fulfill a need for some good Mexican food in that area. While the food is nothing that knocks your socks off, it's pretty good. Tuesdays are $1.50 Taco specials and if you eat 12 or more you can write your achievement and name on a Sombrero and they will staple it to the ceiling. He was saying on Tuesdays they are selling from 700 to 1000 Taco's!

Their menu is pretty basic with Taco's, Burrito's, Enchilada's, and Nachos but unfortunately all they are serving right now is near-beer.

When talking to Larry he said that some of his customers call ahead for take out and they go and stand on the curb for a quick food/$ exchange.

I don't think I would drive all the way from Downtown again for a meal but if I am in the area and hungry, it will definitely do the trick.