• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried Chicken in Vancouver

Keith Talent

Has anyone tried the place at Main and 11th for fried chicken? I can't remember it's name.

Juicy Fried Chicken. This place is the nastiest dive I've ever eaten at. Actually, Prime Time Chicken downtown is almost as bad. Almost. I honestly puked not so long ago from eating Juicy, and this was after a single bite.

AVOID

Juicy Fried Chicken.  This place is the nastiest dive I've ever eaten at.  Actually, Prime Time Chicken downtown is almost as bad.  Almost.  I honestly puked not so long ago from eating Juicy, and this was after a single bite.

AVOID

I actually found the chicken at Juicy to be overly salty, but nowhere near terrible.

Prime Time was Worse. Heavier, greasier chicken, and definitely even less comfortable than juicy.

I actually thought juicy was still better than KFC by far, and pretty close to church's, with Lee's/LA chicken in richmond still being the king.

Oh, this encounter with Juicy was about 1.5 years ago.

Edited by inanimate (log)

Juicy Fried Chicken.  This place is the nastiest dive I've ever eaten at.  Actually, Prime Time Chicken downtown is almost as bad.  Almost.  I honestly puked not so long ago from eating Juicy, and this was after a single bite.

AVOID

I actually found the chicken at Juicy to be overly salty, but nowhere near terrible.

Prime Time was Worse. Heavier, greasier chicken, and definitely even less comfortable than juicy.

I actually thought juicy was still better than KFC by far, and pretty close to church's, with Lee's/LA chicken in richmond still being the king.

Oh, this encounter with Juicy was about 1.5 years ago.

Likewise. I used to rather enjoy Juicy, but the last time I went there I was absolutely sickened. The reason I rank Primetime above Juicy is because I am likely inebriated anytime I would ever frequent it, and therefore, enjoy my greasy food more than normal.

Either way, Juicy did a renovation recently so perhaps it is back to its former glory.

So, there is still hope after all...??

I have not eaten at Juicy or Prime Time -- they look scary enough from the outside that I hesitate to set foot in them. Of the chains, I prefer KFC over Church's, although that's really not saying much. I have passed by Lee's in Richmond a few times, but just haven't had the chance to actually try it. That I should do in the near future.

Incidentally, there's also a "Lee's" in Burnaby (Here): Are the two Lee's related in any way? Would I get the same good chicken at the Burnaby one?

Now, if only someone knows where to get chicken fried steak...

Thanks a million!

So, there is still hope after all...??

I have not eaten at Juicy or Prime Time -- they look scary enough from the outside that I hesitate to set foot in them. Of the chains, I prefer KFC over Church's, although that's really not saying much. I have passed by Lee's in Richmond a few times, but just haven't had the chance to actually try it. That I should do in the near future.

Incidentally, there's also a "Lee's" in Burnaby (Here): Are the two Lee's related in any way? Would I get the same good chicken at the Burnaby one?

Now, if only someone knows where to get chicken fried steak...

Thanks a million!

The lee's in burnaby is very tasty and licensed too, but it also came out much greasier than the richmond branch.

I liked popeye's too, but the servings were kind small and expensive (for what it was) and while I liked the sides more than lee's/la, the chicken isn't quite as good.

There has to be something wrong when you see the ceiling above the deep fryer at Prime Time Chicken drooping down and stained with oil.

• 8 months later...
Is there a popeyes fried chicken anywhere in the vancouver area? or anything like it that i might try?

Thanks!

Here are the Popeyes locations in Canada.

Remember, Memo likes lots of Olive Oyl on his Popeyes. :raz:

Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

The Popeye's in Coquitlam is nothing like Popeye's in the US except maybe the decor. I loved Popeye's when I lived in Illinois and ate there often, so I was excited to see one when I moved to Coquitlam last year. Big disappointment. The fried chicken tasted like it had been fried in oil that was starting to turn rancid and used too many times. Also, the spicy version wasn't anywhere near as spicy as in U.S. Popeye's. I gave them three chances because I needed a fried chicken fix and I was hoping that the first two times were simply bad days for them. Sadly, they were consistently awful. Time to fry chicken at home.

Not like this is even halfway timely, but this summer while on a road trip we stopped the Cost Cutter supermarket just south of the truck crossing border in beautiful Blaine (good wine buyer at the store BTW, way better wine than normal grocery mass market plonk.) In the same mall is a former greek storefront restaurant now (or at least then) making southern food. Located next to the drug store in the middle of the long arm of the "L" shaped mall with the Cost Cutter taking up the entire short side of the "L". Large southern lady manning the kitchen, a good sign. We had very good chicken, along with fried catfish, hush pupies and a pulled pork sandwich. It was very good. Not so good to be worth the drive, but good enough to look for it next time you're buying cheap US beer in Blaine.

Is there a popeyes fried chicken anywhere in the vancouver area? or anything like it that i might try?

Thanks!

Here are the Popeyes locations in Canada.

Remember, Memo likes lots of Olive Oyl on his Popeyes. :raz:

Memo

thanks so much for the info... i am leaving now for a popeyes FEAST!

ok... so i drove the 35 miles from where i live to popeyes ...and when i got there all they had was a few dry pieces that had been sitting for a while. i asked when more was comming out. and the guys in the back said... right now and dumped a lovely pile of the spicy out of the fryer. now... thats great! RIGHT? ... but when i told the manager i wanted the fresh stuff he said ok and when I turned my attention for a moment...he slipped in a dry breast instead of giving me 2 fresh ones.

i had ordered a 3 piece... 2 breasts and a leg. the other one was wonderful... everything that popeyes can be...tasty moist and fabulous. but the old one was dry and lifeless. i cant believe the bastard slipped me an old piece of chicken after i specifically asked for the fresh stuff.

i have never had this happen in all the years i have been eating popeyes. even when i lived in new orleans for YEARS! and ate it damn near every day!

normally i am very combative by nature but i let this slide. if i took it back to him... he would have denied it.... so i let it go.

oh well....guess i will have to try the one in abbotsford ...or maybe somewhere else that makes spicy chicken.

I believe there's a Popeye's in Abbotsford too... near the Sumas Border Crossing

That location closed down several months ago, much to my eternal disappointment...no more trips to Costco with a side trip for biscuits. Sigh. Not that I don't know how to make those biscuits, but it's nice to have someone else do it for me. Guess I will just have to wait for Costco to bring back the lobster rolls so I have an excuse to go there again.

The old location is for lease...anyone wanting to start a fried chicken empire could use this space as a launch pad...all the equipment is still intact, by the look of it.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I believe there's a Popeye's in Abbotsford too... near the Sumas Border Crossing

That location closed down several months ago, much to my eternal disappointment...no more trips to Costco with a side trip for biscuits. Sigh. Not that I don't know how to make those biscuits, but it's nice to have someone else do it for me. Guess I will just have to wait for Costco to bring back the lobster rolls so I have an excuse to go there again.

The old location is for lease...anyone wanting to start a fried chicken empire could use this space as a launch pad...all the equipment is still intact, by the look of it.

OH well...... i am not moving back to new orleans anytime soon.

so.... i guess i am stuck with the the one in coquitlam.

and as far as the bisquits go....if you want them badly enough....you wont find them anygood at that popeyes either. i dont know what they do to them but they are not what they ought to be.

looks like its time to find some other fried chicken and bisquits.

damn.

[Oh Lee's... how I love your non greasy crunchy spicy juicy goodness...

Where is Lee's? When you said Lee's - I thought it was Juicy's on Main. And frankly - that location is a little TOO greasy spoon for me. But I must be wrong.

But - that is a picture of damn fine chicken...

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Where is Lee's?  When you said Lee's - I thought it was Juicy's on Main.  And frankly - that location is a little TOO greasy spoon for me.  But I must be wrong.

But - that is a picture of damn fine chicken...

Lee's is in Richmond at 160-11780 Thorpe Road. Near cambie and 5 rd.

It's actually called L.A. Chicken now, but my friends and I still call it Lee's since that's the name it had 13 years ago when I first started going there. (it's a different location now). The one in burnaby is similar, but much greasier and not as good.

When I turned 27, I had a bit of a birthday party there; meaning we wore cheap conical cardboard party hats and ate their chicken. If I had to choose a last meal on earth, it'd be in my top 3 for choices.