• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried Chicken in Vancouver

Keith Talent

The chicken comes is small bone in pieces - mostly dark meat.  It caters to the whole Asian chomping on bones kind of thing.

You damned racist!

Unless it really does cater to Asian preferences ... then it's just perpetuating the "stereotype" ...

Perhaps I should clarify a few things before this gets blown out of proportion (not that that happens around here, but you know just in case). Canucklehead is Asian, and he is also one of the most pleasant-mannered (and non-racist) people you could hope to meet in real life. When he's not ogling the high school girls at Cactus Club, that is. Oh yeah and I am being facetious in approximately 98% of my posts. That is all.

Edited by BCinBC (log)

Folks,

Please return this conversation to discussing fried chicken in Vancouver.

For the moment the comments above will stand (that may change) - but this isn't the place to discuss Fuzzy Zoeller and Tiger Woods, unless you happen to be eating fried chicken with them somewhere in Vancouver. We're also not going to continue any political discussions.

If you have something to contribute to the topic of the thread (Fried Chicken in Vancouver), then please add it.

Pam

y'all should try korean-style fried chicken, available with or without that sweet spicy sauce. very nice stuff! there's one place on 41st in Kerrisdale called "Cco Cco Chicken", sort of across the street from the Oasis bubble tea place. We had the plain undressed 1/2 chicken there and it was very nice and juicy, lightly battered and crispy. Not greasy at all.

i'd also recommend H-Mart (Han Au Reum) on North Rd and Lougheed. They've got a stall in the corner selling fried chicken and red bean-filled fish waffles. Even with sauce added, the fried chicken still has the crunchiness of the batter coming through. Delicious!

You can sample the H-Mart chicken at their downtown location - which is great shopping fun btw. The chicken comes is small bone in pieces - mostly dark meat. It caters to the whole Asian chomping on bones kind of thing. The spicy sauce is like a very sweet bbq sauce - and surprisingly - not alot of heat but with strong cinnamon undertones. If you can get your head around it - the chicken itself is very juicy and the batter is nicely crunchy. 4 small pieces set me back $4.

ooh good call, Flowbee and Canucklehead. That's right next door to my work. How could I have forgotten about that?!! I'm addicted to their fish waffles.

Quentina

fish waffles

Explain Please. :smile:

Heh. They sell these waffles shaped like fish (very pretty) and filled with either red bean paste, or pork and veg and sometimes a blueberry filling. The red bean ones are 50 cents and the pork and veg ones are 75 cents. Cheap, tasty and satsifying snack that's not greasy.

and now, back to fried chicken goodness!

Quentina

The chicken comes is small bone in pieces - mostly dark meat.  It caters to the whole Asian chomping on bones kind of thing.

You damned racist!

Unless it really does cater to Asian preferences ... then it's just perpetuating the "stereotype" ...

Perhaps I should clarify a few things before this gets blown out of proportion (not that that happens around here, but you know just in case). Canucklehead is Asian, and he is also one of the most pleasant-mannered (and non-racist) people you could hope to meet in real life. When he's not ogling the high school girls at Cactus Club, that is. Oh yeah and I am being facetious in approximately 98% of my posts. That is all.

:raz: I have no problem with what Canucklehead said anyways because i'm Asian myself. Chinese-background to be exact (or how exact can we really be? :blink: ).

Anyways, I knew what was being said, in jest or not, and I was just adding fuel to the ... err, I mean, just commenting about that comment. :biggrin:

But back to the thread, I had Church's fried chicken last night. 20 piece of 1/2 regular and 1/2 spicy. Spicy wasn't too spicy but the chicken overally is a bit better than KFC actually. Sometimes I do have that mojo goin' on for that KFC "taste" and all ... but the Church's is usually better.

Oh, I didn't have all 20 pieces mind you.

i've always loved Churchs chicken. very simple, honest fried chicken. none of that fancy pressure-cooking or batter up the hoo-haa. their tandoori chicken was actually good imho...too bad they stopped selling it.

Edited by flowbee (log)
album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

Finally got to H mart's food court today and more importantly, to the fried chicken. I got the little lunch special, 5 small pieces of crunchy, juicy, savoury goodness. Only 2 of my pieces had a bone in it. This definitely satiated my deep fried chicken craving!

Quentina

I go through phases of craving fried chicken too, and would you believe it, the best I've had in a while was at the Guu on Thurlow a couple of weeks ago? It tastes like they marinate it in some kind of soy/brown sugar combo first, and then just quickly dash it through some batter before hucking it into the fryer.

Now if they could only fix their service issues!

I go through phases of craving fried chicken too, and would you believe it, the best I've had in a while was at the Guu on Thurlow a couple of weeks ago? It tastes  like they marinate it in some kind of soy/brown sugar combo first, and then just quickly dash it through some batter before hucking it into the fryer.

Oh Yeah! The chicken karaage at the west robson location is INSANELY good. My theory is that it is cooked only by virgins who wear blinders so that they cannot see anything impure while they fry the chicken.

The chicken was pretty good, really liked the potato salad and Watermelon that came with it.

You're joking right? Fried chicken & watermelon?

Hey, let's perpetuate some more food stereotypes ... no grits in there? Black eyed peas perhaps?

Please elaborate on just what you find so offensive and why you believe this is stereotypical...
Fried chicken, potato salad and watermelon:  three foods that were part of many a childhood picnic... and you're well aware that I'm far from being of African descent.
I've gotta say that Diner serving fried chicken, potato salad and watermelon doesn't strike me as particularly racist either.

Wow! If y'all go back and read my post, you'll notice I never said anything about a RACIST stereotype, but rather FOOD stereotypes. Funny how the assumption immediately went to race. :hmmm:

I stand by what I said. The dish of watermelon and fried chicken is a stereotypical meal. To be clear, I mean that it is cliché, predictable. I've not tasted it, so I'm not in any way commenting on its taste. Even if it was orgasm-inducing delicious, I'd still say it was a stereotype. So is Heather's meatloaf and patty melt for that matter.

Best fried chicken? Used to be from Big Al's place on 1st Ave.

A.

I go through phases of craving fried chicken too, and would you believe it, the best I've had in a while was at the Guu on Thurlow a couple of weeks ago? It tastes  like they marinate it in some kind of soy/brown sugar combo first, and then just quickly dash it through some batter before hucking it into the fryer.

Oh Yeah! The chicken karaage at the west robson location is INSANELY good. My theory is that it is cooked only by virgins who wear blinders so that they cannot see anything impure while they fry the chicken.

Canucklehead, either you really love fried chicken or you've been sitting too close to the fryer fumes! :biggrin:

Good call Makan--fried anything at Phnom Penh is killer.

I drove through the parking lot going to Save-On in Coquitlam and drove by the old Popeye's Chicken hut - the one which is "under renovation" with all the windows papered up - and immediately smelled deep fryer exhaust. I spun my head around faster than a top looking to see if it reopened and sorry folks, it's still papered up and under renovation. You talk about association by fried chicken smell. Man those renovations take long heh?

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

Joan is planning a trip to the "Peg in July !!!

Get her to bring you back some Chester's Fried Chicken as a souvenir. That's some seriously good fried chicken! (But don't let the fact that it's available at gas stations scare you... :biggrin: )

I am going to go out for a few days so I can eat a couple of pieces while I fill up the car with gas.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

• 1 year later...

Ok, I dragged this thread out of the archives to add a new favourite for me that I just tried today for the first time. Wo Fung Dessert in the food court at Aberdeen Centre. Now I know it doesn't sound like a place to get fried chicken. But they have fried chicken that is superb. The breading was crunchy and not greasy at all. There was a slight hint of ginger in the chicken marinade, which was a pleasant surprise. They apparently only offers wings, but they are large. They come in both a 3 piece and 6 piece version. ($3.25 and $6 respectively) I think the 3 piece is enough for most people - except perhaps those on this board. :wink:

Cheers!

my grandmother makes fried chicken with ginger. very tasty recipe :) i just might try this place if i'm ever in richmond...

still diggin the korean-style fried chicken drenched in spicy sweet sauce from h-mart though!

album of the moment: Kelley Polar - I Need You To Hold On While The Sky Is Falling - 2008

Yeah, that's the place with the famous "wind-sand" chicken wings :wub: Do you get the big $1.50 milk tea too? That place is also famous for their "little cart" noodles. Don't get the beef brisket variation though - it's pretty meh.

Good choice! I usually either get the lemon tea, milk tea, or milk tea/coffee mix. Sometimes though, at the end of service (around 7?), the tea becomes really watered down.

The curry fish balls are pretty good there too. The curry reminds me of Japanese curry - thick & sweet, so the fish balls are evenly coated with the curry.