• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried Chicken in Vancouver

Keith Talent

Is this another food group that we've swapped out in exchange to the gods of excessive sushi, and now need to do without? Is there anywhere in the city to get fried chicken? I also want mashed poatoes, overcooked green beans and best of all greens cooked with ham hock. I'll pass on the hush puppies though, "here, we don't think you're getting enough grease or starch, this should help."

Chef Fowke (where is he these days anyway?) and I were reminiscing about Big Al's Soul Food on 1st Ave a while back ... not that this helps your search for greasy empty calories Keith :blink:Big Al's is closed now ... anybody have a clue where he's gone? I miss the cheesey grits and pork chops in gravy.

A.

What, no KFC out there? :raz: Here, there used to be a chain called Mary Brown's that made some of the best fried chicken I've had. Sadly, most of them are gone now. :sad:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I love L.A. Chicken in Richmond by cambie and 5 rd which used to be a lee's fried chicken

The sides aren't particularly good, but the chicken is crunchy, not greasy, and the meat is flavorful right down to the bone. I make the drive in once a month for it.

(I always order the crispy / spicy chicken)

Coop, was the Big Alfredo a pasta dish? If so, I wonder why you would order pasta in a fried chicken place? Just wondering. I had the gumbo and it was very seasoned. Although I thought the fried chicken was good, I won't miss it much either as I only went once when it was open.

Has anyone tried the place at Main and 11th for fried chicken? I can't remember it's name.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

I know the place well Butter. Now, I've never actually eaten there, but on certain days the rancid oil wafts up the hill to my living room window. I haven't been brave enough to go in though.

Go ahead call me a wimp if you must :hmmm:

• 1 month later...
last i heard big al joined forces with an indo guy in a place called tom and gerry's(not kidding, ugh!) was supposed to be some sort of fusion deal

Tom & Gerry's on Hastings???? God, how the mighty have fallen! :sad:

A.

After tasting his Jambalaya at the Taste of Vancouver, we decided to go check out Tom & Jerry's for some Cajun cuisine. They have a "Big Al's Buffet" for $12.95 that includes: Sausage and Shrimp Jambalaya, Fried Chicken, Rice, Breaded Catfish, Meatballs, Ribs, and pork (I think).

My first instinct is to compare it with the amazing dishes we had while in New Orleans. Can't do that, wouldn't be fair to Al all the way here in Vancouver.

But I'll just say I've had MUCH better. If you’re out E. Hastings and you just NEED some Jambalaya, it'll scratch the itch. We besides one other couple we're the only ones there tonight so they had complimentary pizza and grape Jello as well. Who knows, maybe that'll nudge you off the fence to go?

I wish that I had a chance to try his place before it shut down to make a worthy comparison.

Any other Cajun places around that are good?

After tasting his Jambalaya at the Taste of Vancouver, we decided to go check out Tom & Jerry's for some Cajun cuisine.  They have a "Big Al's Buffet" for $12.95 that includes: Sausage and Shrimp Jambalaya, Fried Chicken, Rice, Breaded Catfish, Meatballs, Ribs, and pork (I think). 

I just noticed this on my way home tonight.

Chef Fowke? Are you reading this??

No it ain't great, but this ain't Louisiana.

A.

last i heard big al joined forces with an indo guy in a place called tom and gerry's(not kidding, ugh!) was supposed to be some sort of fusion deal

A.

After tasting his Jambalaya at the Taste of Vancouver, we decided to go check out Tom & Jerry's for some Cajun cuisine. They have a "Big Al's Buffet" for $12.95 that includes: Sausage and Shrimp Jambalaya, Fried Chicken, Rice, Breaded Catfish, Meatballs, Ribs, and pork (I think).

My first instinct is to compare it with the amazing dishes we had while in New Orleans. Can't do that, wouldn't be fair to Al all the way here in Vancouver.

But I'll just say I've had MUCH better. If you’re out E. Hastings and you just NEED some Jambalaya, it'll scratch the itch. We besides one other couple we're the only ones there tonight so they had complimentary pizza and grape Jello as well. Who knows, maybe that'll nudge you off the fence to go?

I wish that I had a chance to try his place before it shut down to make a worthy comparison.

Any other Cajun places around that are good? -

Try the Ouisi Bistro on Granville - I have not been in a while but it was very good a few years ago.

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

A.

Any other Cajun places around that are good? -

Try the Ouisi Bistro on Granville - I have not been in a while but it was very good a few years ago.

Been there many times. I really enjoy their Alligator Starter and Spicy BBQ Ribs Dinner with a cold beer. :wub: It's probably my favorite in Vancouver for Cajun so far......

Been there many times.  I really enjoy their Alligator Starter and Spicy BBQ Ribs Dinner with a cold beer.  :wub:  It's probably my favorite in Vancouver for Cajun so far......

I can't eat much of the food there (horrible tabasco allergy - discovered one Christmas when my mum tried to kill me) - but what I had was good. And the staff were wonderful - my partner felt ill & quietly left for the bathroom without making a fuss (not the fault of the food - coming down with the flu) and our waiter, having noticed him leaving & obviously noticing that all wasn't well - watched for him to come back & brought some chamomile tea & a very nice small bowl of something (for the life of me I can't remember what now - dessert? soup? my mind's a blank). I was very impressed both by the consideration & the lack of fuss. And it's a nice room, and their sandwich board/blackboard out front was often amusing, and the smells coming out of the kitchen as I walked past on my way to work were always EXTREMELY appetizing.

When I lived at that end of the city, it was my morning hangover breakfast place. They have an amazing breakfast that is very well priced and huge.

OK, so my restaurant list is getting larger...and larger....

• 3 months later...

Chef Wayne Martin of Chartwell was on CityCooks today (4/26/2005) doing a bunch of fushionish dishes today (see here and here, for example). Whereas I am not particularly interested in those, he mentioned more than a few times Austin, TX (Hook'em Horns!!!) and CHICKEN FRIED CHICKEN, which drew my attention majorly. Once in a while, one does need an infusion of fat in one's diet and chicken fried IS the way to do it.

Unfortunately, from the earlier posts on this thread, it would seem that Vancouver is rather wanting in this area -- I might be wrong, but even Big Al is no longer behind the fryer at T & J. So, I figure I would give it one last try and ask if anyone knows of any place that serves chicken fried chicken and, with incredible luck, chicken fried steak?

Many thanks!

We have been to Popeye's a few times...the chicken is good, but I can't comment on the sides because to me, fried chicken means mashed potatoes, cream gravy, coleslaw, corn and biscuits, so we take it home. Have had the biscuits there, which are oddly addictive even though you can tell they are made with fat and 7-up.

Closer to home, Lee's Chicken is an occasional stop...but only very early in the day or right after the regular dinner hour, when we know it's going to be fresh.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

When I lived at that end of the city, it was my morning hangover breakfast place.  They have an amazing breakfast that is very well priced and huge. 

OK, so my restaurant list is getting larger...and larger....

And they used to have a fantastic scotch selection if you made through to the early evening. I used to hang out there a lot. I will have to make my way back.

I remember the rib dinner being huge and well priced.

Alligator was good, and they used to have a salad with pear, stilton and calvados dressing with some kind of nut on it that I used to always have for lunch.

I have GOT to get out more.

Ann

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

i have to say i've developed an addiction to popeye's chicken... i love the fact that they don't charge me extra for white meat and the spicy batter is pretty tasty. the chicken itself i find quite juicy.... mm mm good :wink: the sides are ok but the biscuits are frikking awesome. i like church's chicken too but i'll pick popeye's hands down over it any day of the week.