• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Afternoon tea recommendations

Book a table for six and then turn up with seven people and see what the Wolesley does? Tell one of your friends they can't come?

I hear the Browns is very good and sent some friends there earlier this year. I really want to go to Claridges, the chinaware is beautiful.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

i had a brilliant afternoon tea in the lanesborough recently. and i really tested them on their willingness to do top-ups of everything - basically i had double: double cakes, double patisserie and double sandwiches.

they dished it up without a murmur for the same price and i waddled happily off into the afternoon.

x

i had a brilliant afternoon tea in the lanesborough recently.  and i really tested them on their willingness to do top-ups of everything - basically i had double: double cakes, double patisserie and double sandwiches. 

they dished it up without a murmur for the same price and i waddled happily off into the afternoon.

x

Well that's nothing if not honest.

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

I hear that Browns is very good and sent some friends there earlier this year.

Generally Browns is very good. I sent some friends to Browns earlier this year as well and then got a frantic phone call telling me that they arrived to find the entire place shut for refurbs. My friend wailed, 'they're going to ruin it!'. I worry that this indeed might be the case.

Afternoon tea was brilliant there when I had it last year - v. traditional. I just hope they don't turn the whole place into some minimalist ice palace in order to compete with the many boutique hotels in London.

Leave London and take the train to York where you will find that Bettys tea rooms are head and shoulders above the massively over-rated Wolseley.....well for tea and cakes anyway.......... They also have branches in Northallerton,Ilkley,and now 2 in Harrogate.