• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Popcorn toppers

Megaroo

I really like a lot of Tabasco on my popcorn. The spicy, soggy bits are so good! Or butter with salt and pepper. Are the wee, half-popped kernels called "grannies?" My Dad and I would always fight a bit over those.  :rolleyes:

Have you tried the green jalepeno hot sauce on popcorn??? I love it! (don't forget a little salt too!)

My favorite toppings are Old Bay Seasoning and Zaatar, the Middle Eastern spice mix of savory, thyme, sumac and sesame seeds, I add salt to the pocorn as well since neither of these spice mixtures contain it on their own.

My main question about popcorn has to do with the partially popped kernels, does anyone else love these as much as I do? It is my favorite part. I have searched far and wide to see if anyone sells just the partialy poped kernels and I thought I lucked out when I saw bags of them in my favorite Korean grocer, Han Ah Reum, here in Manhattan. Unfortunately they were dry roasted, unsalted and quite tasteless, they are used to brew a type of Korean tea, called Oksusu-Cha. I have tried the tea, it is actually quite good, but the kernels alone are very unexciting.

I understand that Trader Joe's used to sell a snack called Corn a Copious, which were in fact slightly popped, salted, popcorn kernels. I do not know if they still carry it, although, since they just opened here, I will have to check it out.

My main question about popcorn has to do with the partially popped kernels, does anyone else love these as much as I do?  It is my favorite part.

Me too!! Well, not exclusively my favorite, but just as good as the fluffy form. What I like to do is to leave the unpopped kernels in the air popper (or on the stove) and continue to cook them until they are crispy! :raz: Yum!!

I have searched far and wide to see if anyone sells just the partialy poped kernels and I thought I lucked out when I saw bags of them in my favorite Korean grocer, Han Ah Reum, here in Manhattan.  Unfortunately they were dry roasted, unsalted and quite tasteless, they are used to brew a type of Korean tea, called Oksusu-Cha.  I have tried the tea, it is actually quite good, but the kernels alone are very unexciting.
Alas, no, but it's a novel idea to sell these!! Wanna go into biz with me? I can see it as the new American health snack... it'd be like the American version of Chino-Japanese wasabi-peas or Chinese roasted soy beans... oh wait, I just realized we have "Korn Nuts," which are close, I suppose.
I understand that Trader Joe's used to sell a snack called Corn a Copious, which were in fact slightly popped, salted, popcorn kernels.  I do not know if they still carry it, although, since they just opened here, I will have to check it out
....Hmmmm... note to self: must visit Joe the Trader soon!

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I know furikake has been mentioned already, but while living in hawaii we used to get these kits to make "hurricane popcorn". I used to send them home to family and friends and they would go nuts for 'em. Furikake, arare,...? Not sure what else was included. Anyone heard of it or know if it still exists? Love hot buttered popcorn mixed with arare and a movie at Pearlridge Mall. Aiea-style!

- Butter & hot sauce

- California onion powder and garlic powder with freshly grated parmesan

- Seasoned salt or 'Hot Salt' with pepper

- Penzeys 'Sandwich Sprinkle' with freshly grated parmesan

- Wasabi powder with furikake

- Penzeys 'BBQ of the Americas' seasoning

- Unused portion of ramen flavor packets

- Mini marshmallow, peanuts and chocolate syrup, or powder (my kids came up with that one)

- Penzeys 'Bangkok Blend' with Sriacha

Today is going to be one of those days.....

- Wasabi powder with furikake

Now why hadn't I thought of this combination?!?!? Separately, they're two of my favorite Japanese flavourings... I bet, together, they're even better!!

Thanks!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Tried this after seeing Michael Chiarello do it and it's delicious: Butter, orange zest, salt and grated dark chocolate. I suppose if you don't like sweet popcorn, you might not like this. However, I'm not a sweet popcorn person and I like it. Tastes like crunchy Jaffa Cakes, for any Brits in the house.

Tried this after seeing Michael Chiarello do it and it's delicious: Butter, orange zest, salt and grated dark chocolate. I suppose if you don't like sweet popcorn, you might not like this.  However, I'm not a sweet popcorn person and I like it.  Tastes like crunchy Jaffa Cakes, for any Brits in the house.

Darn you!! Are you trying to gain me some weight? :raz:

I don't usually like sweet (anything) popcorn... but if you put dark (very dark) chocolate on most anything, I'll eat it... Jaffa Cakes... ohhhhh..... *eyes roll way back in the head*... :laugh:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Umm, I pop microwave popcorn in any deep glass container like a big pyrex 2 qt. measuring cup. Cover with plastic wrap--...

Doesn't the inside steam and the water accumulate on othe plastic wrap and then drip down into the pocorn to make it all soggy?  :unsure:

No not at all. But you have to remove the plastic asap, which is why I said watch out for the steam burn.

For a glass popcorn popper clickety. However, I do not agree with the recommendation to serve it out of the popping container because it is too hot. You gotta know that handle is destined to be whacked off in short order also. But anyway, there it is.

And on the pop it in the microwave in a glass container popper thing--the best thing is to put it all in there as I described earlier, put it in the microwave then hit the go button for like a minute keep it going (probably no more than one and half minutes) until one pops, take it out & swirl the kernals around so they have a better chance to all swell up. Yeah, it cools off a bit but it will pop better.

This thread is way good. One of these days, I am going to go start over, from the beginning, and note every topping or combination of toppings that I want to try. I did buy some nutritional yeast this week, but haven't used it yet. Is there anything you all do with your yeast besides put it on popcorn? I bought a huge quantity of it in a health food store.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

This thread is way good.  One of these days, I am going to go start over, from the beginning, and note every topping or combination of toppings that I want to try.  I did buy some nutritional yeast this week, but haven't used it yet.  Is there anything you all do with your yeast besides put it on popcorn?  I bought a huge quantity of it in a health food store.

This link is pretty good for describing some of the ideas people have, some of which I've done in the past. Do love it on popcorn too! :wub:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon