• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Popcorn toppers

Megaroo

Since I'm starting to grow old of the standard brewer's yeast or my sister's invention of grated parmesan cheese (the Kraft kind *gasp*) with butter, onion powder and garlic powder. (Not exactly healthy but YUMMY!) What new and exciting things have you tried to spice up your popcorn?

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray (the ONLY reason to purchase this product) plus:

freshly grated parmesan

cinnamon & splenda

salt & chili powder

diet hot cocoa mix

Yeah, some of these may sound weird, but what can I say? I eat air-popped popcorn cuz it's healthy and filling, so I put low-cal stuff on top...

thoughts on food, writing, and everything else: Words to Eat By

Nothing new and exciting - I like either butter or caramelized sugar (kettle corn). Popcorn purist here.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Butter and Salt. If you like anything else, you're a freak.

Okay, I lie. I like that "Smartfood" stuff with the powdered cheddar cheese on it.

Kettle Corn and Cracker Jack is a different animal entirely.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I can make my own Smartfood now that I have a can of Cabot powdered cheddar cheese -- they call theirs "Cheddar Shake." They gave this out as a freebie at a recent cheese-tasting in Philly (the one I mentioned in the topic "Juice and Cheese Party" in this forum). So far, I haven't seen this item in any local supermarket--not even those that carry every other Cabot cheese variety. I'm thinking of either pleading with the South Philly Acme or sending e-mail to Cabot Creamery begging them to please send me more of the stuff in exchange for appropriate financial considerations.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Butter and Salt

Brewers yeast and dark soy

Greek Seasoning

Cayenne and salt

BBQ Rub (really, it's delicious, especially if you pop the corn in bacon grease :wink: ) Think "puffy bbq"

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

My standard topping is onion salt usually without butter. (unless Susan is "in", then it's lots of butter)

I like Emeril's original Essence and several other cajun mixes from the grocery store.

Once we knew people who served popcorn with steamed crabs which was pretty good with the Old Bay.

Before I quit smoking, I used to love popcorn and a cigarette. Sometimes I still miss that. :shock:

It takes so long to find a good hot sauce. I say once you finally do pick one out you should use it as often as possible. That's why whenever I eat popcorn I melt a lot of butter, then swirl in the hot sauce of the moment before pouring it over the popped corn. Anything habanero. African Rhino Sauce is unbelievable.

Maple syrup sounds really good, too.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

yeah, i've never heard of brewers yeast either. do y'all mean nutritional yeast?

that would make sense. brewer's yeast, whilst having a myriad of healthful properties, tastes damn nasty to me. like burnt grapenuts.

Butter and furikake.

My husband loves butter and furikake, but he usually ends up with more furikake at the bottom of the bowl than on the popcorn. Any tips? Maybe we need more butter. . .

I usually prefer just butter and salt, but sometimes lime, butter and chili pepper or parmesan and garlic salt hits the spot.

Hmmm...interesting. Until now, I always thought the typical toppings were the ones you get at confection shops like caramel, chedder cheese, butter, etc. I don't eat a lot of popcorn but I may try some of these. Is there a sour cream and onion powder out there? Ya know, the kind that is used on soft pretzels or chips? I think that might be pretty good.

I make popcorn the way my grandmother did. Pop the corn the old fashioned way but instead of using oil, use bacon grease! Then top with melted butter slightly browned then sprinkle with popcorn salt. OMG...it is so good. The flavor from the bacon grease lends a nice hint of bacon that complements very well. As I said, I don't make it often but when I'm in the mood on a cold winter night sitting on the couch with my wife and four cats watching a dvd, it really hits the spot.

Cheers,

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band