• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greater Phoenix Dining: Where To Eat?

my question is about two places I loved 12 years ago that I believe are still in business.  Are they still good, or coasting on a reputation?

Vincent's on Camelback.  Ate here twice.  Have his cookbook.

RoxSand in the Biltmore Fashion Park.

Well?

Roxsand is gone. I believe Vincent's is there. (I've never been.)

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, it's been 12 years since I've last been to Scottsdale, and I'll be there in July.  This thread is helpful for suggestions.  I've heared of Cowboy Ciao before, and plan to go.  But my question is about two places I loved 12 years ago that I believe are still in business.  Are they still good, or coasting on a reputation?

Well?

Vincent's is still there and you will find the menu very close to what it was 12 years ago-is that a good thing? Roxsand is no longer in business. You really should try Binkley's, Kevin is the best chef in the state. I will post some pictures of his food when I figure out how to upload them.

Edited by molto e (log)

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

While I was at the World Pastry Forum this week I did have dinner at Roy's, Blue Sage and Ristorante Tuscany, all at the JW Desert Ridge Marriot. The spareribs and appetizers at Roy's were decent and the duck breast served balsamic reduction and green chili mac'n'cheese at Blue Sage were interesting as well as good.

Ristorante Tuscany was the best meal of the week hands down. On the spendy side but worth the price in my humble opinion. We had many of the appetizers family style and they were all wonderful. We had a salad with smoked chicken that was delightful and the gnochi were nice and light. A friend had the lobster lasagna which I didn't get to taste but he raved about how wonderful it was. I went for the tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and was very happy. For main course many of us had the osso bucco since so many other people raved about it all week. We were not disappionted. The flavor was deep and rich and it was cooked to where it was fork tender but still held it's form and didn't completely fall apart. It still had some body to it. Someone else said the lamb was great. There was a special request of seafood risotto that was not on the menu and it was honestly the best risotto I have ever had. Wonderful food and wonderful company. It was an evening that I will remember for years to come.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, it's been 12 years since I've last been to Scottsdale, and I'll be there in July.  This thread is helpful for suggestions.  I've heared of Cowboy Ciao before, and plan to go.  But my question is about two places I loved 12 years ago that I believe are still in business.  Are they still good, or coasting on a reputation?

Well?

Vincent's is still there and you will find the menu very close to what it was 12 years ago-is that a good thing? Roxsand is no longer in business. You really should try Binkley's, Kevin is the best chef in the state. I will post some pictures of his food when I figure out how to upload them.

I want to add Sea Saw and Cyclo to the list of must eats in Phoenix

• 5 months later...

I'll be in the Phoenix area this weekend and am looking for some dining ideas. Price is not really a factor, wine list and service are important.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

TC

wine is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
Ted Cizma

www.cheftedcizma.com

Price is not really a factor, wine list and service are important.

Sea Saw

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=76546

Binkley's-but I do not think you will be able to get a reservation

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=72680

Zinc Bistro

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=80162

Greene House at the Kierland-just opened two weeks ago the service is not all the way there yet, but the food is VERY GOOD.

http://www.foxrestaurantconcepts.com/greenehouse.html

Good Eating,

Molto E

• 4 months later...

I did a bit of research on this board before heading out to Phoenix this past weekend to see my sister. Thanks to the recommendations I found here, we ate very well indeed!

Friday night we had dinner at Los Dos Molinas- wow! the enchiladas rocked here, I think someone said "get anything in red chile sauce" and they were right. Hot? oh yeah, just the way I like it. We went through 2 pitchers of margaritas just to cool the heat and launch our holiday weekend in a proper fashion :smile: I managed to stuff down a beef taco, an enchilada, and a chile relleno. I absolutely loved the atmosphere of this joint. Just the right amount of funk and homey-ness, I felt the sort of comfortable that makes me want to just chill & hang out for a few hours.

Next meal out was the Roaring Fork. Also really great~ had the duck, I had to have the signature dish, although I was mightily tempted by multiple things on this menu, we all decided we'd share bites of everything ordered so I was finally able to make a decision. The duck was fabulous, as was the pan fried trout, and fried chicken, the prawns and the ahi tuna that showed up at the table. We also ordered a side of the green chile mac n cheese~ this stuff was incredibly good. I was amazed at the amount of seafood on the menu here. Apparently it's not difficult for chefs to pull in the good stuff from the coast. The only down side to this dinner was the wine recommendation from our waiter. It was an '03 Ojai Syrah from Santa Barbara, and it was way, way too tannic. It never mellowed in the glass like I hoped it would, it just continued to have an overriding astringency that blocked any other flavors lurking there.

We (the BF and I) treated my sis' family to the RF dinner, and as a thanks (and a late b-day gift) she bought the cookbook for me, and Robert McGrath was gracious enough to come out and sign it for me.

All that and along with the activity (or non-activity) or laying around the poolside sipping beer made for a rather fabulous weekend! Thanks for the recommends, folks- I'll be back to visit again, and hopefully NEXT time Pizzeria Bianco will be OPEN!!

Born Free, Now Expensive

• 1 month later...

This is my pre-emptive strike to line up dining spots for a meeting (5 days) I'll be attending at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass in October. Any recommendations would be appreciated, dining guests welcome and since I'm traveling from Paso Robles I might bring some of the local vintages for consumption. Love to eat so I'm open to all categories. Your guidance is sincerely appreciated.

Raoul

"I drink to make other people interesting".

This is my pre-emptive strike to line up dining spots for a meeting (5 days) I'll be attending at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass in October.  Any recommendations would be appreciated, dining guests welcome and since I'm traveling from Paso Robles I might bring some of the local vintages for consumption.  Love to eat so I'm open to all categories.  Your guidance is sincerely appreciated.

Raoul

Pizzaria Bianco has been called the best pizza in the country by more than a few reviewers, there's a thread a few topics down. Although I haven't eaten there yet, I've got plans to eat there Tuesday. It is suggested you arrive around 4:30, or earlier. Doors open at 5pm and it will fill up immediately, even during the week.

If you like outrageously spicy mexican food and good strong margaritas I'd suggest Los Dos Molinos on Central about a 1/2 mile south of Baseline. Not the best part of town, but I'd suggest getting an early dinner as it has a small dining room and is extremely popular. If you get there around 5pm you should get right in, but if you show up around 7pm don't expect to get a table until 8:30pm or so. On the plus side, you can order margaritas while you wait, just don't plan on driving yourself back to your hotel afterwards! If you're looking for something less spicy, but still excellent mexican food, check out Los Sombreros in Scottsdale, on Scottsdale Rd, north of McDowell. Really good, creative mexican food. The restaurant itself is quite small, but nicely decorated and in a nice part of town.

I'm not really into wine, but I am into beer, and if you're into beer I'd suggest Four Peaks brewery in Tempe. Microbrew place, upscale bar food (swanky pizzas, big salads) and amazing beers.

If you want to impress clients (or a date), try LON's at the Hermosa. Great food, but on the pricey side. Beautiful location and wonderful atmosphere.

I noticed you were coming in October, if you'll be here October 6th you might consider attending Zoofari. It black tie charity function for the Phoenix Zoo catered by many of the best restaurants in town, as well as a lot of chains. In addition, it is usually attended by a dozen or more wineries. Unlimited drink samples and food are included in the $225 ticket. I've gone the past 2 years, great fun. One of those functions that it is best not to drive yourself to, if you know what I mean.

Edited by fliplap (log)

Phoenix Best Bets:

Sea Saw

Binkley's Restaurant

Zinc Bistro

Cyclo

Lo-Lo's Fried Chicken and Waffles

Kohnies-Coffee, Breakfast and Best Scones

Pizzeria Bianco

Pane Bianco

Arlecchino Gelateria

Kai Restaurant is at your hotel. I have not been there since they have changed chefs, but Janos Wilder consults so that is a no brainer.

Lisa G's Wine Bar on 7th st. for lunch-Sandwiches and Salads

Good Eating,

Molto E

I'd just like to add a few more to Molto E's list (oh, and I second everything he and fliplap said)...

La Grande Orange Pizzeria (right next to Arlecchino Gelateria) is also great pizza if you can't be bothered to wait at Pizzeria Bianco-Pizzeria Bianco is fabulous, but it's definitely a commitment. And LGO gives you a feel for the hip Paradise Valley crowd, which may or may not be a good thing.

Quiessence, at the Farm at South Mountain, is a lovely charming little restaurant with a seasonal, constantly changing menu that uses lots of fresh and local produce/meat, some of which is actually from the farm.

The Roaring Fork is another great place to try-the chef won a James Beard award, I believe...it's kind of gourmet cowboy food-try the green chile macaroni and cheese, it's fabulous!

Cowboy Ciao is another Phoenix (well, Scottsdale) standby-kind of eclectic food and lots of fun, though I think sometimes the chef overreaches.

And finally, Rancho Pinot, at Scottsdale and Lincoln, is another sort of American/Southwest restaurant with a seasonal menu, lots of great wine, and an emphasis on fresh produce.

(If you need further information about any of these restaurants, you should check out http://www.azcentral.com/ent/dining/. It's the website for the Arizona Republic, our local newspaper, and I generally trust the food critic, Howard Seftel.)

This is a great start! Thank you all for the input. Last October it was Seattle and Union, Salumi and Le Pichet. I am getting prematurely anxious.

Raoul

"I drink to make other people interesting".

La Grande Orange Pizzeria (right next to Arlecchino Gelateria) is also great pizza if you can't be bothered to wait at Pizzeria Bianco-Pizzeria Bianco is fabulous, but it's definitely a commitment. And LGO gives you a feel for the hip Paradise Valley crowd, which may or may not be a good thing.

Quiessence, at the Farm at South Mountain, is a lovely charming little restaurant with a seasonal, constantly changing menu that uses lots of fresh and local produce/meat, some of which is actually from the farm.

Cowboy Ciao is another Phoenix (well, Scottsdale) standby-kind of eclectic food and lots of fun, though I think sometimes the chef overreaches.

ITA with all the above, great selections, and to add to those...

If you cannot make the Farm for dinner, they have a delicious brunch and in October you can eat outside(comfortably) and it is a beautiful view and relaxing.

If you like French food, Sophie's in Phx is delicious.

If you like Thai try Fate in downtown Phx.

Have fun!

• 3 months later...

I am going to be at a conference at the Downtown Wyndham the next few days and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions concerning interesting places to eat, i.e., local favorites, eclectic fine/casual dining, etc.

Thanks.

I am going to be at a conference at the Downtown Wyndham the next few days and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions concerning interesting places to eat, i.e., local favorites, eclectic fine/casual dining, etc.

Thanks.

Menon,

Downtown area spots:

Pizzeria Bianco

Cibo

Circa 1900

Coronado Cafe

Matt's Big Breakfast

If you need anymore assistance let me know.

Molto E

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone,

We're making a quick trip to Arizona in March (4 nights) and are thinking about:

Vu

Mary Elaine's

Mosiac

Sassi

Any thoughts on those? Also, for our first night, due to late arrival, can anyone suggest a great spot very near the Embassy Suites on East Paradise Village Parkway? (Hey, I have almost 200,000 Hilton Points so it was hard to pass up the free hotel nights )

Char

--------------------

Char (formerly Foodie-Girl)

Never let the fear of striking out

get in your way.

Babe Ruth

Hi Everyone,

Also, for our first night, due to late arrival, can anyone suggest a great spot very near the Embassy Suites on East Paradise Village Parkway? (Hey, I have almost 200,000 Hilton Points so it was hard to pass up the free hotel nights )

Char

--------------------

Char (formerly Foodie-Girl)

Never let the fear of striking out

get in your way.

Babe Ruth

Edens Grill on Tatum and Thunderbird isn't too far. Tiny place in a strip mall with fantastic Middle Eastern Food.

Details HERE

I've had excellent meals at Mary Elaines but I've never been to the others.

Char,

There is a new Italian restaurant ( Taggia) due to open March 1 at the Caleo Resort. The Chef Claudio Urcivoli may be the best Italian chef in town. He has worked with Nancy Silverton, at Osteria Circo in Vegas and some other notable places. I have tried his cuisine a number of times and am VERY IMPRESSED. He emphasizes supreme quality ingredients and lets them shine without manipulating them. There is an integrity and honesty to his cooking that is refreshing and it should be well received in town.

Eliot

my other choices:

Phoenix Best Bets:

Vu at the Hyatt Regency Scottsdale

Sea Saw

Binkley's Restaurant

Zinc Bistro

Cyclo

Kohnies-Coffee, Breakfast and Best Scones

Pizzeria Bianco

Pane Bianco - Chris Bianco's sandwich shop

Matt's Big Breakfast

Arlecchino Gelateria

The Pork Shop

Grazie Pizzeria

Roaring Fork isn't on your list, molto e. I have good memories of dinners there a few years back...Is that restaurant still around?

I'm following this thread because I'll be heading out your way at the end of March.

Maria Gallagher

Roaring Fork isn't on your list, molto e. I have good memories of dinners there a few years back...Is that restaurant still around?

I'm following this thread because I'll be heading out your way at the end of March.

Hi, Maria. I'm here from Philadelphia right now. Roaring Fork is stil here, though I haven't tried it this trip yet, since I just arrived Saturday afternoon. Happy Hours are a great deal there, and I find it hard to pass up the lamb chops appetizer.

Hardly a fine restaurant, but I found a nice hole-in-the-strip-mall family-run Mexican, El Bravo, 8338 N. 7th Street not far from the Pointe Tapatio Cliffs Resort. Nothing fancy or out of the ordinary, but just well done basic fare. Instead of one of the standard combo dinners (which looked better than decent), it was a chilly night so I went for a bowl of the special soup of the day, posole with shredded pork, and the green corn tamale and sauce. Both were exceptionally good and satisfying.

Enjoy your visit (I hope it's warmer; the high temp this week looks to be 72. Oh, well, it's better than being in Philadelphia today.)

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Maria,

Chef Robert McGrath has sold his interest in the restaurant and no longer works there. His former partners plan to open a few more forks in AZ. and in Texas- I think.

Best,

Molto E

A friend (who usually has very good taste) reported that he ate at Roaring Fork a month or two ago, and his meal was terrible. Not "didn't live up to expectations" but "I paid HOW MUCH for THIS?" So it appears that the restaurant has gone downhill since McGrath left. :-(

A friend (who usually has very good taste) reported that he ate at Roaring Fork a month or two ago, and his meal was terrible. Not "didn't live up to expectations" but "I paid HOW MUCH for THIS?" So it appears that the restaurant has gone downhill since McGrath left. :-(

Esther,

Longtime no hear...thanks for the update, I thought his Sous-Chef left before he did so the cupboard is bare now.

Molto E

Ok, having just gone there tonight for the first time, do not, DO NOT miss this place. It's amazing.

http://www.sweetolounge.com/

Get them to recommend a pour for you. And GET the CHOCOLATE. ANYTHING chocolate. Just do it.

Whoa.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous