• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Girls weekend

snowangel

I leave tomorrow afternoon for our 8th annual. Me and three college buddies; we've known each other since 1976-1977. We always go to Blue Fin Bay on the north shore of Lake Superior. Thanksgiving weekend is a good weekend for this -- it's a long weekend, and none of our husbands work on Friday, so kid care isn't an issue.

When we first started doing this, we ate out quite a bit -- the restaurants at Blue Fin are quite good, and there is other stuff in the area. But, we quickly moved to eating in our condo unit. Last year, tired of eating way too big a dinner after having consumed way too many "easy" appetizers (cheese, crackers, shrimp, etc.), we have evolved.

One of the other women and I got together the first weekend in November with our daughters (while the men were hunting) and fleshed out the menu, made grocery lists and assigned groceries. We have also evolved from using the equipment in the OK'ly equiped kitchen to bringing stuff. Like a mixer. Food processor. Our own knives. Better pans. Coffee grinder. French press. The cars will be loaded.

This year, the theme is tapas. We are using this term loosely, because although many of the dishes we will serve come from Penelope Casa's Tapas book, others come from Zuni Cafe Cookbook, there will be larb, etc., etc.

We love to cook together. Knead some bread. Chop some stuff. Roast some tomtatoes. Whatever. Cooking together has forged yet another bond between the four of us. I am lucky.

This is all accompanied by many trips to the outdoor hot tub and pool -- perched over the lake, somewhat protected from the elements by a plexiglass wall. We drink wine, and whine. We celebrate, talk about ourselves, knit, read, talk some more, watch movies, listen to music, give ourselves pedicures.

The only catch is that all of us want to leave Thanksgiving morning. Our families insist that we eat the dried out turkey and share those "festivities" with them. So, we will not hit the road until 3:30 or so. Two of us go in one vehicle, the other two in another. The two of us that go first are lucky. We dine at other's homes, and they have geared the meal earlier knowing our plans.

I've been crabby and impatient all day. I wonder why? The laundry is done. The second coat of paint is on the laundry room walls. The house is clean and neat. The bag is packed. The non-perishables are in a box. The list for cooler items it pinned to the fridge. Diana has had a tour of what's in the cupboards, the fridge and freezer. And, she informed me that someone else would have to bring their microplane because she can't live without ours.

It has been a hard year for me. New house. Boatloads of work inside and outside. Many parties for my mom's birthday. New schools for the kids, new neighborhoods to explore. I am more than ready. Like a kid on Xmas Eve, I'll sleep fitfully tonight, but not tomorrow night.

Do other's of you do similar things? I know when Paul goes deer hunting every fall with the guys, it's pretty much an "out of the can" food experience, although he does take garlic when he goes, much to the chagrin of his buddies.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Susan, I envy you, while being happy for you at the same time. You deserve this so much!

I don't so much go away with the girls. Besides, almost none of my friends cook (well) and they don't get to dine out as much as I, so that is a treat for them.

What I do treasure is when Don travels. Although I adore my husband, I also like the times I have the house to myself, and I can make all the things no one else will eat. Like green beans, and spinach, and spareribs and saurkraut. :smile:

Don has in the past gone to a fishing camp with the boys in Northern Saskatchewan. They have to be flown in and out of this place and once you're there, you're there. I think they eat a lot of fish those few days (I kind of shudder to think about it). In fact, I'd probably rather not know what they're eating.

I also used a have a girl's night "in" at my house. I'd cook for all of them, and send my guys to a movie or something. We'd natter and gossip and drink more wine than was good for us.

But it's nice to have your own things with you to cook with. That's one of the reasons we bought the RV, so that I could cook stuff becuase I get tired of restaurants all the time. More and more of my cooking things, (good knives, good pots, blender, etc) all make their way to the RV in the summer. Who says you can't eat well when you camp? :biggrin:

Enjoy, Susan.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

You are so lucky to have a group of friends like that. I do run with a group of gals that get together every couple of years for some sort of excursion. We aren't what I would call really close buds but we have enough in common to have a good time. We don't always cook a lot, but what we do is a lot of fun. One of the gal's father keeps a big sailboat at Marathon Key. We have gone there a couple of times, "kicked him off the boat" and hung out for a long weekend. Another one has a good friend that let us use his house on the beach in Akumal. We did more shopping and cooking there than we do most places. The Mexican markets and reluctance to leave the beach inspired us.

This isn't a typical "girls escape" situation but I took my sister to Hawaii a couple of years ago and we had a good time in the condo. We cook together a lot but the exotic ingredients and different setting kind of made it feel like that. That is chronicled here. Sort of like your tapas, we did establish a theme... See how creative we could get with what little we had (no extensive pantry like back home) and see what we could use up before we had to leave. Actually, that was really fun.

I envy you in a good way. Have a great time and be safe. (Oh... how about pictures?)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I don't have a getaway weekend like yours, but my place turns into Winter Camping Central at least once each winter. Friends from The Cities come up, use my house as a staging area and base camp for winter skiing, then head on up into the Boundary Waters for the real winter camping. I've gone on many of the winter camping trips but the last few years haven't been up for it, so I've joined them for river skiing day trips but bowed out of the camping. They stop by on their way back through, pick up stuff, soak one last time in the hot tub, drink a few more beers (or drinks more suited to drivers), then hit the road.

The gathering at my place is inevitably a combination of great tried-and-true food as well as experiments. They cook some, I cook some, we eat well. My first taste of chicken roast with 40 cloves of garlic was on one of these weekends. (Since heavy-test rum and pineapple wine and exotic mixed drinks were also on the menu, the evening got a bit fuzzy later.) Quince paste on crackers with manchego? Yep. Liv's Mother's Kentucky Cake, off the Splendid Table web site? Yep. Great wine, great beer, and always new foods mixed in for testing. Did I mention that the conversation is wonderful? And there's music and singing and laughter, and catching up on the year's news. AND...these friends are exemplary guests: they clean up after themselves. I can leave them in the house and come home to washed dishes and little sign that they were there.

The camping experience is just as flavorful. Freeze-dried food is for wooses, according to this crowd, unless it's dressed up somehow. So there we are, parked in carefully carved snow benches, with outback ovens cooking pizza, or single-cup expresso pots going. One year some of the guys towed in 5 gallons of cooking oil, the necessary pot, burner and propane tank, and a trussed turkey, and we had deep-fried turkey in the snow. Man, was that good.

Edited to add: have a great time, Susan! And Happy Thanksgiving, everyone else!

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

snowangel, thanks for the great post. Please follow up when you return with descriptions of your meals, etc.

Anytime I can go back to the midwest and be with my mom and sister (NeroW), in the kitchen, drinking wine (or whatever :biggrin:), and eating, it's a memorable time, even though it's not technically a vacation for them.

Have a fun weekend, you totally deserve it.

:smile:

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

Have a fun weekend, you totally deserve it. 

:smile:

Well... Let's not jump to conclusions here. Let's see... the woman cares for her children (one of whom is disabled), messes with the proceeds of her family's hunting, moves, remodels houses, throws innumerable parties for her mother, smokes pork butts, recreates gardens, organizes cabin excursions, drinks a little wine, and... manages to write fascinating posts on eGullet.

Maybe we need to think about this concept of deserving the weekend... NOT!

You go, girl.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Can the guys chime in here?

My wife (J) has a strong allergy to bi-valves, so much so that I am unable to enjoy them myself if I hope to get any lovin' that evening :wub: Just a little on my lips and she's not having a good night (NO WISECRACKS PLEASE! :laugh: )

On the rare occassion she leaves me at home alone for the weekend, I am on the phone to whomever wishes an oyster/clam/mussel feed. Sometimes we'll hit Rodney's (I guess I can add Chambar to my list now for mussels!), but in the summer it's the fish-docks for a couple bags of Blue-Points, some BC mussels and a case of beer. BBQ on the patio!

The last time I was sans-wife I was on Salt Spring Island for work. Dinner was to be at The Oyster Catcher for 3 straight nights! When I arrived the first night ... :shock: ... NO OYSTERS! The supply boat had blown an engine and wouldn't be repaired until the next week.

I was bummed.

So I'm jonesing.

Any chance you ladies want to my lovely wife to your plans?? :raz:

A.

Should I not mention that I got my Xmas cards into the mail today?

So did I. :blush:

AAARRRGGHH! (the cry of inadequacy) :shock:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Should I not mention that I got my Xmas cards into the mail today?

So did I. :blush:

AAARRRGGHH! (the cry of inadequacy) :shock:

Were you inadequate, my dear, you would not have that ability to hypnotize people that had never heard of Le Cruset into buying it, talking unsuspecting folks into making vats of confit, etc., etc.

I've done this twice in the past year. The first time was the occasion of my 40th birthday; my sisters took me to Tigh-na-Mara, a resort on Vancouver Island, for the weekend. I happened to be blogging that week and so the food is chronicled here (click).

We had such a good time that we did it for my mum for her 65th birthday too. The weekend had a similar plan to it: dinner out on Friday and the rest of the meals in the cabin.

It's a fab way to spend some time. The next milestone birthday among us will be my eldest sister's 50th birthday. I'd like to do a cycling tour in France or the Netherlands but my mum says she'll be too old. (and I'm not sure she liked my suggestion that she drive the sag wagon.)

And the weekend was . . . fabulous?!!! Hope you took the digi cam and have some pics to share with us! Those of us not going to Blue Fin Bay anytime soon would love to live vicariously. :wink:

You deserved this break time with the girls so much, Susan, for all you have done this year -- and all that's coming up for you now! :biggrin:

Ugh! Still have to design Xmas cards and get them out myself!

Shamed me good -- now I have to start them today! :blush:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Wow, you people are all on the ball. I usually send out my Christmas cards when I start shopping... on the 23rd or 24th! :laugh:

I'm looking forward to hearing about the weekend, too!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Susan (how does it happen that so many of my favorite people are named Susan?),

What a fabulous thing for you. There is simply nothing in this life nor, I suspect, in the next, quite as fun and fabulous as getting away with the "girls." And while, just as you said, going out to eat definitely has its place, hanging out in the kitchen trying, sampling, offering up knowledge, taking and giving and sharing, along with LOTS of giggling, is better.

Good fer' you!

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Wow, you people are all on the ball.  I usually send out my Christmas cards when I start shopping... on the 23rd or 24th!  :laugh:

I'm looking forward to hearing about the weekend, too!

At least you send out the cards :wink:

Susan, I spent the day dealing with "behavior incidents" and fantasizing about your weekend. Good friends, good food, good view, sounds like paradise.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Very blated, a report.

It is energizing and wonderful to spend time without the kids, without pets, without husbands, with those whom one has known for more than 1/2 one's lives.

It is exciting to stand at the window and look for the ride up north. It is beautiful to drive far north when there is almost a full moon. It is wonderful to crawl into an outdoor hot tub, way up north, with those with whom you have sympatico. The teens. The mid-40's. The trying to do all you can do.

It is wonderful to cook bacon at 3:00 am, after drinking a lot. It is wonderful, at 3:30 am, to eat a BLH (Bacon, lettuce and hummus, on toasted Acme) out on a deck under the stars and a full moon with a halo.

It is not wonderful to leave a pumkin pie out on the counter for too many days. I argued, I really did, to put the pie in the fridge. Nancy and I did. Susan and Diane said they never did. They never before made one that was not on the LIbby's label -- one with cream, not evaporated milk. It is wonderful to stick a hunk of ginger in the supplies. It is wonderful to, for some unknown reason, to stick a small packet of bean thread noodles in. It is wonderful to be able to buy some chicken and make my version of chix noodle soup for those with whom the pumkin pie left out on the counter did not agree with.

We had a spectacular time. We watched movies -- The Hours was the most powerful, perhaps more powerful because the previous flick was Mona Lisa Smile; we followed these with Dr. No and Ursula in her bikini. We drank wine. Two of us nursed those who did not feel well. We swam and hot-tubbed outdoors. We did not shop. We all called our homes, dutifully, every night. We were glad to be child free.

We will not do the tapas thing again. We discovered that we want to eat odd cheese and obscure crackers. We want to eat boil and peel shrimp. We want to cook, but the tapas we did required far too many "need to be remembered to pack" ingredients. We remembered that we love having soup and salads for dinner after a day of drinking many bottles of wine and noshing on lots of shrimp and cheese and hummus and whatever.

Big hit dish of the weekend was courtesty of the Kowalski's (a local grocery chain) newsletter). A spinach salad with pear, pomegranite and cheese (supposed to be blue, which we forgot, so substituted goat).

I'm hoping that everyone I know has friends like I have. Those you have known longer than you can remember. Those with whom you can cook bacon in your skivvies at 3:00 am. Those with whom you can talk, or with whom you can just be silent. Those with whom you can cook or clean. Those with whom you can just be.

As we checked out, we made reservations for next year.

P. S. On the ride up, we do not take the scenic highway, we choose the superhighway from Duluth to Two Harbors. It is dark, we are in a hurry. On the way home, we take the scenic. Two stops, both in Knife River -- the first at Playing with Yarn. We both bought yarn. Then on to Russ Kendall's for some smoked fish. The latter is one odd spot. But, it is tradition, and the sugar smoked salmon and the smoked ciscos never disappoint, plus, we really need to bring presents home.

Thank you for the lovely report.

Those with whom you can talk, or with whom you can just be silent. Those with whom you can cook or clean. Those with whom you can just be.

How true that is. My closest friends are the ones that are comfortable with being silent.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Susan, I'm jealous. Damn jealous. I can't imagine a better time -- you even fitted a yarn shop in there!

Bacon at three am with your girlfriends - that's living large. I agree that tapas is a finicky thing to pack for, but I'm hungry just thinking about the chicken soup, the pear salad, the wine and the long easy companionship. You are very lucky, and deserving.

!For the first time ever I let the pumpkin pie sit on the counter. It still tasted great, and no one got died.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

susan(damn that is a fine name - especially for someone probably born in the mid to late 1950's :biggrin: )

wow

i am in awe of you and your friends.

so cool you have kept those ties up which is soooooo important especially for the home working moms.

i envy you

can i have some leftovers? or come cook your bacon for you? :wub:

party on garth.... :wink:

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We did have a sort of revlelation sometine on Saturday regarding bacon. We had made some serious plans for bacon. So, we procured bacon from every joint locally that smokes their own. We had it sliced to spec, so that all bacon was of equal thickness (or thinness). Half-way between what one would consider thick and thin. One of the things we discovered last year during our bacon taste testing last year was that you can't compare thick to thin.

Anyway, the sum total was that Lenny's meat market in New Ulm was the hands down winner. They won over Schmitts (sp? in Nicollet, MN). Over the Anoka Meat & Sausage company. Over Hackenmueller's in Robbinsdale. Over the place near Glenwood. Over Miltona. And, over two more I can't remember right now.

We took our bacon seriously.

And, the two Susan's present were late 50's born.

You be careful doing this. "Those with whom you can cook bacon in your skivvies at 3:00 am. "

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Thanks for the report, Susan. Great weekend. :biggrin:

I need an annual escape like this!

Ah, my mind was on Blue Fin Bay over the holiday weekend -- several times :laugh: -- and I've never been there.

No pics? None of the girls in their rakish chef's hats? Or cooking bacon at 3:00AM :raz::wink:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite