• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Returning to Montreal for More Great Eating

cinghiale

I’m returning to your fair city for another round of eating. Thanks to all for your generous assistance in making my last visit an unqualified success, as I wrote here.

Now, Mom and I are returning for four days, culminating in New Year’s Eve at La Chronique, which we both thought was top-notch last time. Other than that, I’d like not to repeat the same restos. Here’s my thinking, culled from recent eG postings, and I’d welcome your feedback:

• Chez l’Épicier. This looks like a wonderful place and has gotten pretty solid reviews. Is Godbout still cooking there? Do they have a website?

• Cube. Also looks excellent, but I recall some grumblings and mumblings about the place.

• Le Club des Pins. Looks pretty good, in a brasserie sorta way, even if somewhat straightforward.

• La Bastide. Has gotten good response. Is this a Basque place, or just -influenced? Website?

• I’m really interested in sampling your French cuisine, so Cavalli and Bice are out, right? And what about Bronte? Also Italian? A montrealfood.com review makes it sound kinda fusion-ish.

• Anise doesn’t appear to be my style, nor does Les Chevres. There seems to be a significant difference of opinion about Laloux.

My first choice of destination – Toque! – is unfortunately closed from pre-Christmas to post-New Year. :angry::angry::angry:

I could of course go back to Brunoise, which was excellent last time.

Any comments about these, or other, restaurants would be much appreciated.

Why not Les Chevres? And really, Anise is AMAZING!!!

OK, I was sorta not into the Middle Eastern focus of Anise, but after reviewing their current menus again, I'll do it, Lesley. As for Les Chevres, I'm just a bit averse to vegetarian restaurants, though they apparently do offer several non-veg items.

Still, any comments about Chez l’Épicier? Cube? Anything else current?

Too bad about La Bastide.

A group of employees recently went to Area for dinner & thoroughly enjoyed it as we were able to sample an extensive cross selection of their menu. A bit off the beaten path but IMHO well worth checking out. Area Restaurant

That same group had lunch 2 weeks ago at Cube & there was high praise all around. Since we were actually meeting for a few days at Hotel St. Paul, Cube catered our afternoon breaks as well as a fixed price lunch menu based on choice of 2 starters, 2 mains & 1 dessert. They had us in & out & back upstairs in under 90 minutes & each dish was absolutely delicious & lovely to look at. The restaurant was quite busy for a Thursday lunch with just about every table filled, however, Wednesday & Thursday nights did not appear to be too busy. Cube Restaurant

Anise is remarkable - don't shy away. IMHO (as an eater, not a critic), the technique at Anise is all New French, but the dishes are informed by middle east spices.

I've said it before, but after eating the "fusion" (hate the term) cuisine at Anise, it makes the omnipresent Asian Fusion that you find in the restaurants of, for instance, J-G Vong, to be absolutely ham-fisted in their approach, too much fun-house food, too cloying. Silly food - stick a lemongrass skewer in and call it modern.

The dishes that I enjoyed at Anise were near-perfection. On the "food for food's sake" meter, this is a world class restaurant by ANY standard. Eat all of your bread, too! Need to drive to Hartford and hop a jet to Montreal for dinner! lol

Go to Bronte and try out Otto

and also try out Tratt 48 he might be having some Bigoli on his menu soon Maybe, I'm not sure :smile:

Don't forget brunoise & AuPDC

Con il melone si mangia , beve e si lava la facia

My Nonno Vincenzo 1921-1994

I'm craving the perfct Gateau Foret Noire .

Go to Bronte and try out Otto

and also try out Tratt 48 he might be having some Bigoli on his menu soon Maybe, I'm not sure :smile:

Don't forget brunoise & AuPDC

Con il melone si mangia , beve e si lava la facia

My Nonno Vincenzo 1921-1994

I'm craving the perfct Gateau Foret Noire .

Just want to say that Chevre is really not the vegetarian restaurant you would think of, you don't walk out feeling light my friend. Last time I was there, it was one of the richest tasting menu I had in a while.

Cube of course, has a new chef (where is Pelletier ?).

I would try Cocagne also. I was there recently and the food is very well prepared, I haven't had such perfectly cooked plate in a long time, perfect timing. The vibe can be good or too subdued some times. The service is excellent. Best rillette in town, better than Cube.

just to say that cocagne, i tried about a month or so ago, and i loved my first two plates, one was braised pork belly on marinated red pepper and onion, which was just perfect. texture of the belly was out of this world, and flavorful, oh my god. the ravioli of deer with thym jus was also wonderful, strong flavors, hearty dish. the half crottin for after meal pleasure was quite disappointing. it was a half crottin on one side of the plate, with a toast on the other end. THATS IT. i know its a cheese course, but still, cant we work it a bit more?

as for ambiance, i found it was really missing soul. while the food was really well prepared, the room was quite depressing. i remember one summer about 4 years ago, i walked into a chinese restaurant on st zotique and christope colomb at lunch and it seemed like it was closed, since you could hear a pin drop and there was no music, no light, no nothing. even though cocagne does have some music and lighting and so on, it was by far the coldest and most depressing dining room i have ever dined in since that gloomy lunch 4 years ago.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

Ya, the ambiance can be really odd in there, I had one of these inverted tables, where you sit besid your love and basically eat facing other tables and talking by the side of your month. Sure it's pretty chilly in there but I have seen some lively nights (more rare than often), it's definitely a challenge and if service was stiff it would be a disaster but he's got some top notch staff in there.

Great news for Pelletier. Gonzales does a great job also.

I mention Cocagne cause it feels very french to me.

Edited by identifiler (log)

• 3 weeks later...

SCHEISSE!!!!

Anise is closed for the holidays.

Cube is closed between Christmas and New Year's.

Brunoise is closed from today through 1/14.

I was informed in trying to make a reservation at Le Club that it will open 12/31, too late for me.

I'm in at Area and Otto, though I'm usually averse to dining in hotels. But that's just me.

I've still got one dinner to fill. After joe's report, I'm leery of Cocagne. Maybe Le Chevre at identifiler's reco, but I'm not convinced it's for me. Culatello's urging to "go to Bronte" makes me curious, but I'd appreciate more info.

I ate at APdC last trip, and while it was great, I'd like to try something new.

Anyone?