• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Shopping in Philly

The Wegmans website notes coming locations in both Mount Laurel and Cherry Hill, though without any details.

Cool. January 2005 it is for Mount Laurel.

I just read something from early this year that indicates that the development replacing the Garden State racetrack will include a Wegmans. So that'll be the Cherry Hill one I suppose. No idea on latest news about that.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

The Wegmans website notes coming locations in both Mount Laurel and Cherry Hill, though without any details.

Cool. January 2005 it is for Mount Laurel.

I just read something from early this year that indicates that the development replacing the Garden State racetrack will include a Wegmans. So that'll be the Cherry Hill one I suppose. No idea on latest news about that.

Just a day or two ago, Cherry Hill approved the plans for a "town center" at the grounds of the former Garden State racetrack. It is to include retail, residential and commercial properties. The article I read contained no specifics as to the retail/commercial stores/restaurants/shops.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Is moldy, outdated and spoiled food common in all supermarkets? I've seen (and inadvertantly purchased) more bad food (yogurt, prepackaged cheese, etc) in my local Acme than in any other market. I've seen sausage and bacon that had turned gray because they were left on the shelves for so long past the expiration date. I've had to put cartons of milk back on the shelf after picking them up and finding out that they're not cold, not even cool. Same with eggs.

This week it was moldy Tastykakes. I checked the date on the box (10/11) and emailed Tastykake last night to let them know that one of their retailers was selling what I thought was outdated Tastykakes. They called me today and told me that they're going to contact Acme, and send me some coupons--excellent customer service. Acme, on the other hand, continues to leave outdated, foul looking food stocked in the stores.

(yes, I will no longer shop at Acme after this incident)

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

In Philly I"ve seen moldy and outdated and overripe foods mostly being sold in Pathmark and Acme. At least at Acme if you bring it to their attention they will give you your money back, but at Pathmark where I live, they couldn't care less. During the summertime there are always fruit flies swarming over their fruit/veggie section.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

In Philly I"ve seen moldy and outdated and overripe foods mostly being sold in Pathmark and Acme.  At least at Acme if you bring it to their attention they will give you your money back, but at Pathmark where I live, they couldn't care less.  During the summertime there are always fruit flies swarming over their fruit/veggie section.

1) So does this mean Super Fresh lives up to its name?

2) I'm guessing that with Acme, this depends on the Acme. I haven't run across any outdated food being sold at the Passyunk and Reed store yet.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

In Philly I"ve seen moldy and outdated and overripe foods mostly being sold in Pathmark and Acme.  At least at Acme if you bring it to their attention they will give you your money back, but at Pathmark where I live, they couldn't care less.  During the summertime there are always fruit flies swarming over their fruit/veggie section.

1) So does this mean Super Fresh lives up to its name?

2) I'm guessing that with Acme, this depends on the Acme. I haven't run across any outdated food being sold at the Passyunk and Reed store yet.

Actually yes, Superfresh in Wynnewood definitely lives up to its name. Excellent produce section and no matter what hour I'm there, someone's always putting out new produce. I'd even venture to say the Gladwynne one and the Manoa one are just as nice. The Manoa one is GINORMOUS btw. All three are clean pretty clean. The Gladwynne one is the smallest, has lower ceilings, not as well lit as the others but the staff is quite nice.

The Acme in Narberth is where they had some far gone apples a while ago but they refunded me my money. Other than that, I actually like their produce selection. It's well-lit and they have a decent selection. I also love that they sell big hunks of chuck for stew fiends like myself.

The Acme on City Ave in Bala Cynwyd, despite its size has the slowest cashiers in the universe working there. While they do have self-checkout, the fact that those lines are long as well doesn't help. Also, I once walked into that Acme on a weekday morning, and I swear, all I smelled upon entering was the smell of wet dog food, and the sad thing was, it was all in the area of the "prepared foods/food court" that I smelled it. Yick.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda