• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brown Students Out on the Farm

rhodegirl

I thought I'd share this story about what sounds like a great program at Brown University. It's from today's Providence Journal food section:

http://www.projo.com/food/content/projo_20...n24.1bbaf4.html

<Harvest crews of students have made weekly farm or orchard visits across the area since August. They've picked produce, from raspberries to eggplants to potatoes. The farmers have been paid for the food and delivered it to university chefs who have been inspired by the bounty of fresh produce and served the dishes in the main dining halls.>

I was especially heartened by the comments from the production manager of Brown University Dining Services, who sounds like a strong proponent of the program. I don't know about you, but when I was in college, I'm not sure we ever saw a fresh vegetable served in the dining hall. :wacko:

Does anyone know if other colleges are using this approach?

It sounds like this kind of program has a lot of potential. And it seems like a positive way to address a number of issues raised in Eric Schlosser's book, 'Fast Food Nation' and in the NY Times op-ed by chef Dan Barber, both of which are being discussed on other threads.

[Host's note: This post was edited at the instructions of the original poster to better conform to the Society's fair use policies.]

Thanks for the great post, I have been to Four Town Farms in Providence, and City Farm in Providence too, we used to buy food for our restaurant there. Great stuff, good to see that someone is thinking about fresh local produce for consumption. Always better. I have to tell you, can't find that stuff in Orlando, wish I could!! Thanks again,

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

Thank you, Tonyy13! I'm trying to find out if there are other universities around the country participating in this type of program. It seems like a good way to promote sustainability - not to mention a great way to show college students that fresh fruits and vegetables actually taste good. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the great post, I have been to Four Town Farms in Providence, and City Farm in Providence too, we used to buy food for our restaurant there.  Great stuff, good to see that someone is thinking about fresh local produce for consumption.  Always better.  I have to tell you, can't find that stuff in Orlando, wish I could!!  Thanks again,

Thought I would give some more info. At the culinary school where I teach, we have a "club" dedicated to growing fresh vegetables, fruits, and herbs. They then harvest those items (which aren't huge in numbers), and give them to our purchasing department, and we are allowed to get those ingredients and use them in our classrooms. This is huge for my class, because they are able to connect that they are using ingredients that came from somewhere, not just some warehouse. We recently went to a bee producers honey house and did a tour with some of my extern students, and they were really able to see exactly what goes into producing a product that is usually taken for granted. I sure as heck didn't know what kind of effort it took to get me a bottle of honey. So, I have always tried to incorporate this type of education with my studens, so they don't just think that jars of honey grows on trees, or that tomatoes grow in boxes lined with paper.

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

I can't remember the details exactly. But I seem to recall that students at Dartmouth successfully lobbied the dining service there to start buying local organic produce to use in one of the student centers there.

Sorry the details are a little hazy on this, but I believe this was two, maybe three years ago.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken