• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving Pies

ecreson

Does anyone on the board buy their Thanksgiving pies, rather than make them? Any suggestions on where to go for desserts? The Whole Foods pies I foisted on the family last year didn't meet with group approval (and my baking never does!).

If you want easy, store-bought (not bakery) pies, Costco has some pretty darn good ones--the apple pie is excellent. Can't vouch for the pumpkin pie, as I really don't care for it, but with the quality of all their other foods, I would definitely give them a try.

It's a bit like driving and parking in a pricey parking garage when you could have just walked (but it's rainly!)...

Dean & DeLuca had them yesterday. The Pecan Pie is great. Why make the fam suffer through Whole Foods horrible bakery once more. Park in the gargage and stay dry.

On the above recommendation, I just purchased a rustic apple pie from the MM on my way next door to MacArthur Beverages, where (as always) I spent more than originally intended. So it goes. I can confirm the pie looks fucking awesome -- tasting will have to wait until tomorrow.

By the way, in between those two fine stores is that new BLACK*SALT seafood place owned, I think, by the Grillfish people. The sign says they're opening in December and promises it will be "Washington's Most Exciting New Restruant!" Not sure quite what that means: the chef is AWOL? The good food will never show up?

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

On the above recommendation, I just purchased a rustic apple pie from the MM on my way next door to MacArthur Beverages, where (as always) I spent more than originally intended. So it goes. I can confirm the pie looks fucking awesome -- tasting will have to wait until tomorrow.

By the way, in between those two fine stores is that new BLACK*SALT seafood place owned, I think, by the Grillfish people. The sign says they're opening in December and promises it will be "Washington's Most Exciting New Restruant!" Not sure quite what that means: the chef is AWOL? The good food will never show up?

I think it's Black's Bar and Grill/Addie's people, actually...

does anyone in the dc area sell any good meat pies?

I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you.

Thumbs up for the Marvelous Market apple pie. Very nice. It was eventually served together with one of our German guests' superb homemade bitter orange ice cream, which he confessed to having cribbed from the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung's food critic. "A complete prick, but he knows his food!" Perhaps this is an invariable part of the job description?

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Wound up at the pike-maker in Eastern Market. For an impusle buy on Wednesday afternoon, they were pretty good, and were definitely in high demand. They had a sort of fruit bonanza pie--rhubarb, apple, berries--that was a big hit.

Next year, I would probably still try somewhere else, though.