• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help deciding

Tracey868

A group of us ( 10) we be in NOLA for my hubby's bday Jan 26- 30. We are staying in the Faubourg Marigny section. I have read many, many suggestions of BR, lunch and dinner suggestions... Can have have suggestions for a group this size.. Dont need super fancy, just fun and yummy.

Thank you

Tracey

A group of us ( 10) we be in NOLA for my hubby's bday Jan 26- 30. We are staying in the Faubourg Marigny section. I have read many, many suggestions of BR, lunch and dinner suggestions... Can have have suggestions for a group this size.. Dont need super fancy, just fun and yummy.

Thank you

Tracey

Well, now that I know what the price range is...

All of the suggestions you made would be fine. Clancy's is a particularly good thought as you can probably arrange for a big table upstairs in the small room and get it more or less to yourself.

Another thought would be the wine room at Emeril's. Great atmosphere and the service in there is always great (not that it's anything else in the rest of the place, but having our own room really "turns it up a notch".

Are you doing this every night, or is the a "just one big meal" thing?

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

With all due respect to Mayhaw Man, I find the rooms upstairs at Clancy's to be dreadful. They are small and have low ceilings and terrible acoustics. In fact the upstairs was simply a storage area for many years and as far as I am concerned, the renovations have done little to improve on that. Clancy's is all about the main dinning room. It is really a neighborhood restaurant and many locals enjoy eating there for the see and be seen factor, and when you get the big room cranked up it can be alot of fun.

As far as Jaquimo's goes, one they don't take reservations and two it is not very spacious. You could run into some problems there with a party your size.

If you are looking for something intimate, you could always consider Antoines or Arnuads, both are housed in very old spacious buidings and they have a number of different rooms located in odd places some open only to private parties.

I can think of Commanders Palace as well. I believe the chefs table might hold twelve, and that would be an evening you would never forget. You really are in the middle of everything, and the head chef is essentially your personal waiter. They also have a number of rooms which you could take over for a private experience. And there is nothing wrong with just getting a big table in the Garden Room, which many believe is the most pictureque local in the city.

As far as Dick and Jenny's goes, the food is fine, but I wouldn't call the decor upscale, and that is purposely so. Its eclectic and somewhat offbeat. A wonderful place to eat a relaxed casual dinner though. I would check on their reservation policy, for a time they were not accepting them.

Also, the upstairs at Galatoires has two rooms that you would probably just about fill up. They wouldn't have have any problems setting up a table for twelve downstairs either. You see parties there that size all the time. Sometimes they start smaller and just end up being that size. I hope this was of some help. Perhaps if you let us know what you were looking for, coat and tie fancy, the big splurge, or something else. ch

We are certinly not looking for too fancy! We are a fun group and care more about having a good time with GREAT food! I care more about the food actually. I could care less what the place looks like. We cetainly dont need a romantic place.. we are way too much into being social and inviting all for a drink or two!

I dont mean to say that we would not go to a fancy place but it is not the criteria. The upperline seems like a great place with a wonderful menu. I am defiantly liking that.

I want to leave saying "WOW, that was so much fun and amazing food"

I look for everyone's experience with these places.

I did call Dick and Jenny's and they do not take reservations, they kinda laughed when I said for a group of 12 as in GOOD LUCK.

we dont need a seperate room. maybe Clancy's will give us the main room! Though the idea of emerils sounds good.. how is his other place NOLA???

What about Herbsaint?

I will check out some of your recommedations, but keep them coming, want to make reservation now, as we are there the week before madri gras.

Cheers to all

Tracey

if you want to do some fun local flavor neighborhood low down local food, try Liuzza's. no reservation, but good old New Orleans good times and good food. ANd the beer is served in ice cold mugs.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

The upperline seems like a great place with a wonderful menu. I am defiantly liking that.

What about Herbsaint?

I will check out some of your recommedations,  but keep them coming, want to make reservation now, as we are there the week before madri gras.

Cheers to all

Tracey

The Upperline can probably accomodate you. Talk to Pete and tell him your needs and maybe he can seat you in the back room. Jo Ann the owner enjoys entertaining egulletters so make sure she gets the word that you are one. Herbsaint has two dining areas and can accomodate you as well.

You will not go wrong with either one but Upperline may be more fun for the size of your group unless Brooks says otherwise.

Cirilo

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891

I can think of Commanders Palace as well.

Also, the upstairs at Galatoires has two rooms that you would probably just about fill up.  T

Commander's Place with chef's table sounds great, too. I love the CP. However, with these two you will see dress up diners that may not appreciate you having so much fun. The prices also say $$$$. If you do go, you will not be sorry.

Cirilo

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891

Herbsaint definately sounds like it is right up your alley. Read the review at http://www.bestofneworleans.com/dispatch/2...restreview.html. Liuzzas is a no. Clancy's in the main room probably wouldn't be problem on a weeknight. Friday and Saturday would be tuff, I doubt they would want to push that many locals upstairs. Take a look at the Petit Grocery, food is excellent, not stuffy. NOLA is good, semi open kitchen, the prices are only just a tad shy of Emerils though. They have an upstairs and down. It's a little cramped. Take a look at 201 on Decatur. The menu is limited, its really half bar half restaurant. I had the baked oysters recently, out of this world. I will keep thinking. It sounds to me like you would really like Galatoires, anything goes there. The food isn't cutting edge, but I have never known anyone to have a bad meal. The service is fantastic. You should realize that anything pertty much goes in New Orleans. I was at Commander's and Dan Akroyd and a large crew pulled up on Harleys. They were really cutting up. Needless to say they got the best table in the house. Charlie

HI, I just wanted everyone to know I called upperline and they will not take reservation for me at all. Oh well

So Im down to

Clancy

feelings

herbsaint

jacquimo

Brigstens

I only have 4 nights HELP.. which one would you get rid of

Also how dressy are these places????

Will call them tomorrow to check on reservations and let you know

Cheers

Tracey

Edited by Tracey868 (log)

Saturnbar,

No problem. I get corrected all of the time. It's my wife's hobby. I only meant that it would be a place to visit with your friends in peace, as I kind of assumed that is what she was looking for. I see now that I jumped the gun a bit, although I still stand with my rec.. for Clancy's in some form or fashion. I love that place. If only because they have the best bowl of mussels that I have yet to find in the city.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Food wise, Feelings would be on the bottom. Not that you won't get a good meal there, its just that their menu hasn't changed in a number of years, and they like to serve a lot of things on a bed of creamed spinach, but it is located in the Marigny. Its in a nice space, different. A great place to take a date, conducive to romance for some reason.

I hope Brightsens can seat you. They are in a small cottage. What happened to Bayona? It is top ten spot. As for dress, jeans would be fine at Jacquimo, I would say the others are sport coat optional. You won't see many ties at any of them.

Sorry to see you scratched Galatoires. I can't think of a more social restuarant in the world. They love crowds, its loud and nobody cares. If you are looking for a night to remember, thats your spot, and it is the quintessential New Orleans restaurant. No question it makes the top ten legendary hangouts. Funny thing, it really shines at lunch, esp. on Friday, but that precludes dinner. Charlie

• 2 months later...