• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do I Need a Salamander in My Kitchen?

thecuriousone

The original salamanders were iron or steel rods with a sort of hockey-puck metal attachment, that you'd heat up in your wood fire before hovering over whatever food you needed browned. The puck-like attachment gets so hot, it radiates a nice browning heat very quickly.

Those are more fun to use, and far less expensive, than the superfluous professional salamanders. I second the 'no salamander' votes - I would agree with Rachel that the convection is the problem.

Cheers, Emily

Emily Kaiser

www.emilykaiser.com

The original salamanders were iron or steel rods with a sort of hockey-puck metal attachment, that you'd heat up in your wood fire before hovering over whatever food you needed browned.  The puck-like attachment gets so hot, it radiates a nice browning heat very quickly. 

Those are more fun to use, and far less expensive, than the superfluous professional salamanders.  I second the 'no salamander' votes - I would agree with Rachel that the convection is the problem.

Cheers, Emily

I agree totally. A few years ago, JB Prince sold these salamanders, and I purchased one of their last ones.

They are now discontinued I believe.