• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that showroom finish, 2004 - 2011

Skwerl

what does everybody store their chocolates in?  right now I'm using 6 inch full size lexans which is obviously excessive.

For short term storage I use these handy Tupperware containers my wife spotted at a mall kiosk:

gallery_40084_4727_18361.jpg

They meaure 11"x6.75"x1.75" and stack nicely.

For long term storage I now freeze using the new Reynolds vaccum bags.

what does everybody store their chocolates in?  right now I'm using 6 inch full size lexans which is obviously excessive.

adrian: don't know if you can get them where you work, but there are plastic 'fish boxes' that we used to get at the restaurant for tuiles, etc. that are perfect for chocolates. they look a lot like the tupperware above, but are a bit bigger. they can probably handle a double layer of bonbons...probably something like 10"x18" (i'm not sure of the dimensions...but something like that).

i'll try to see if i can find the source for them.

For short term storage I use these handy Tupperware containers my wife spotted at a mall kiosk:

David

I like these containers for storage, I have been using tortilla storage containers for truffles. The round shape works very well & holds about 55-60.

Is there a number that identifies the container (can't find them on tupperware site), & what did they cost?

Thanks

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

adrian: don't know if you can get them where you work, but there are plastic 'fish boxes' that we used to get at the restaurant for tuiles, etc. that are perfect for chocolates. they look a lot like the tupperware above, but are a bit bigger. they can probably handle a double layer of bonbons...probably something like 10"x18" (i'm not sure of the dimensions...but something like that).

i'll try to see if i can find the source for them.

I know which containers you're talking about. I should have been more specific. Ideally I'd like the conatiner to hold about 200. I'm going to the container store today.

www.adrianvasquez.net

Hi! Do you reuse the bags or do you need to keep buying new bags? Oh and what size bag do you recommend? I would have to have someone mail them to me because they are not available here.

Thanks!

Is there a number that identifies the container (can't find them on tupperware site), & what did they cost?

I looked for them on the tupperware site before I posted and I couldn't find them either. I suspect that it's a line that gets sold only through the independant dealers. There is a tiny number on the bottom that looks more like a batch number than a model number as it is "5348B-1" on one and "5348B-2" on a second one. It's right below the dial type mark also used as a batch marker so I don't think it's usefull. There are no other markings at all.

My wife doesn't recall what they cost.

Hi! Do you reuse the bags or do you need to keep buying new bags? Oh and what size bag do you recommend? I would have to have someone mail them to me because they are not available here.

Thanks!

The bags can be reused as long as the contents are dry. They have a double layer in half the bag to create air channels and those can trap liquids which would be very difficult to wash out.

I used the gallon size bags to store from 17-25 pieces with space all around each piece.

gallery_40084_4727_123762.jpg

Before evacuation

gallery_40084_4727_78933.jpg

After evacuation

David, do those bags work with a Tilia food saver? I assume you need the hose attachment...looks interesting!

Doesn't it take quite a bit of time to set the chocolates out in that nicely spaced manner? I'm just wondering if it is justifiable (the amount of time spent).

David, do those bags work with a Tilia food saver?  I assume you need the hose attachment...looks interesting!

Doesn't it take quite a bit of time to set the chocolates out in that nicely spaced manner?  I'm just wondering if it is justifiable (the amount of time spent).

Alana,

If you find the thread about the reynolds vacuum device it shows an adaptation to a vacuvin to seal the bags. I'm sure you could adapt the food saver hose in some similar juryrigged fashion.

. . .

Does this not mar the shine on the chocolates?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Doesn't it take quite a bit of time to set the chocolates out in that nicely spaced manner?  I'm just wondering if it is justifiable (the amount of time spent).

It doesn't take all that much time. Once I figured out how many it would hold I just quickly placed them in one at a time, ran a finger along the seal, and vaccuumed it. The time is well worth being able to freeze them with no ill effects.

. . .

I pack them only after they have a chance to fully set and I didn't notice any problem. My take on it is that it actually prevents the damage you would get with the pieces banging into each other if they were packed loose in a container. Take a look at the shells in the gift box.

Edited by David J. (log)

. . .

I pack them only after they have a chance to fully set and I didn't notice any problem. My take on it is that it actually prevents the damage you would get with the pieces banging into each other if they were packed loose in a container. Take a look at the shells in the gift box.

Then it looks like the solution we have all been seeking. Thanks for sharing.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My thanks was in earnest. (in case it was misinterpretated!) I will have to have someone in the states get it and then get it to me. This is how I get a lot of my "supplies". I assume it would not work on jars...

I saw on another thread that your mom is your courier for stuff. Don't forget lots of bags for it and given they are only $10 you might want her to bring two vacuum units. Anna's first one had some technical difficulties necessitating it's return.

I don't think it would work on jars - for that you need the attachment for the foodsaver. I can see if it can somehow be used with the reynolds unit though.

Yes, mom is my courier! She will have to bring me a large supple of bags. And yes, if they are so cheap, 2 or even 3 would be an excellent idea. I have a new product-chocolate spread made with praline that I keep in jars. Vacuum sealing would be good. Thanks

It was a successful experiment!! We took a canning jar with a new snap lid, put the plastic piece from the foodsaver over it, used the little reynolds unit to draw a vacuum - and we got vacuum!