• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that showroom finish, 2004 - 2011

Skwerl

It might be a temper issue and it might be that your white chocolate was not warm enough. Another possibility, inversely, is that the cocoa butter was too cold. Once your tempered CB has crystalized why not try warming it slightly with a heat gun or hairdryer to bring it up in temperature slightly. I used to have the problem you describe but have not since using this idea. Of course, need to be careful not to take it too hot. If you try it, let us know if it works for you!

R

===================================================

I kept a blog during my pâtisserie training in France: Candid Cake

It's also possible that the colored CB was too thick in some areas.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I just did a batch of black and maroon coloured swirls for a wedding chocolate. My coloured cocoa butters have been sitting at the shop where the temperatures can get quite high due to the pastry chef's baking and summer weather. Long story short, the colourts are out of temper. When I demoulded the bonbons there was quite a bit of chipping. I had to retemper the whole bottle of black and the maroon. The next batch was beautiful.

I tempered the colours to 29 Celsius. So I can definitely and confidently say that your cocoa butter is out of temper!

Edited by prairiegirl (log)

So now that you've retempered your colours - what is your system? Let's say you are going to use those colours again today. Do you scrape out a little or do you heat the whole bottle? How do you heat it so as to 'keep it in temper'? And doesn't the air from the airbrush require that you have the temp. slightly higher as the air cools it further as you spray?

My head is hurting from reading all 18 pages Plus the othe airbrush thread, but I'm not finding any information pertaining to compressors.

A couple of weeks ago, I passed a garage sale and picked up a Badger 350 with a few extra tips--all apparantly new, but no air source--for 5 bucks. Reading through the thread, I understand canned air is a bad idea--nasty chemicals and a tendancy to freeze up.

Today my daughter dragged me to Micheal's (bitten hard by the beading and jewlery making bug) and I looked at their airbrush stuff. They had one compressor there, badger recomended, Cyclone something, with a max output of 40 psi and I think a cfm of 20 (or is it two hundred?) for the princley sum of $349 CDN. However, they do have a 40% discount running, which would bring the price down to aprox $210 CDN.

1) Is this a reasonable sum?

2) Will the compressor perform as needed for chocolate work?

3)How loud is this thing? I have a "Chef rubber special" table top vibrator at work, is it louder than this?

4) Assuming I use it for an hour a day, what kind of life can I get out of it?

4)Not wanting to plug up my lungs or sneeze in technicolour, what type of mask should I be using? The cheapie fabric ones with the metal nosepiece avaiable at hardware stores?

5)Anyone use a Badger 350, or should I just bite the bullet and get the 100?

Streamlining......

I currently use four colours at work: Red, green, blue, yellow, and orange. As I've never used an airbrush yet, these are brushed on or a "mouth atomizer" is used. I mix my own colours, some are from PCB, some from a Dutch Co. (Attended a Callebaut thingee where Derrick was featured, he said to dissolve the colour into hot c.b, stir well, cool until solid, melt again, stir well, and you're good to go. Good advice)

a)Is it practical to buy four 1/4 oz bottles (one for each colour) for the badger and keep these in a warm place (top oven, never used)?

b)Does the brush need to be cleaned out between colours, or just spray out the old colour until a clean new colour appears?

Thanks,

Edward

My head is hurting from reading all 18 pages Plus the othe airbrush thread, but I'm not finding any information pertaining to compressors.

A couple of weeks ago, I passed a garage sale and picked up a Badger 350 with a few extra tips--all apparantly new, but no air source--for 5 bucks. Reading through the thread, I understand canned air is a bad idea--nasty chemicals and a tendancy to freeze up.

Today my daughter dragged me to Micheal's (bitten hard by the beading and jewlery making bug) and I looked at their airbrush stuff. They had one compressor there, badger recomended, Cyclone something, with a max output of 40 psi and I think a cfm of 20 (or is it two hundred?) for the princley sum of $349 CDN. However, they do have a 40% discount running, which would bring the price down to aprox $210 CDN.

1) Is this a reasonable sum?

2) Will the compressor perform as needed for chocolate work?

3)How loud is this thing? I have a "Chef rubber special" table top vibrator at work, is it louder than this?

4) Assuming I use it for an hour a day, what kind of life can I get out of it?

4)Not wanting to plug up my lungs or sneeze in technicolour, what type of mask should I be using? The cheapie fabric ones with the metal nosepiece avaiable at hardware stores?

5)Anyone use a Badger 350, or should I just bite the bullet and get the 100?

Streamlining......

I currently use four colours at work: Red, green, blue, yellow, and orange. As I've never used an airbrush yet, these are brushed on or a "mouth atomizer" is used. I mix my own colours, some are from PCB, some from a Dutch Co. (Attended a Callebaut thingee where Derrick was featured, he said to dissolve the colour into hot c.b, stir well, cool until solid, melt again, stir well, and you're good to go. Good advice)

a)Is it practical to buy four 1/4 oz bottles (one for each colour) for the badger and keep these in a warm place (top oven, never used)?

b)Does the brush need to be cleaned out between colours, or just spray out the old colour until a clean new colour appears?

Thanks,

Edward

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, they sell compressors that fit the badger for about $65 USA. They also have several airbrush kits in the range of $10-35

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me

Thanks, No, no Harbour Freight here in CDN but I will look them up.

My concerns regarding a compressor are if it is reliable (has anyone used this type of model, and if so, comments?)and if it is made for airbrush use.

I operate with two other partners, I can and do get equipment as I need it, but I must make my decisions very carefully--if it breaks down I am S.O.L., so I'd rather pay more and sleep better at night.

Sure don't have all the answers, but a Callebaut Ambassador told me to just go to Home Depot and buy an oil-less compressor and put a moisture filter on it. I bought one for about $150. It puts out more air than I will ever use. The small compressors only allow you to spray one or two molds at a time. With mine, I can spray all day. I change the moisture filter when the color of the beads change. It is noisy, but I usually turn it on and walk away. When I go to use it, it is full and it rarely comes back on while I am working. I also keep ear protection within reach. I might add that I look smashing when spraying---hairnet, ear head gear, apron, gloves, and mask:-) I was prepared to buy a very expensive compressor from Chef Rubber, when I was told to do it this way. It might not be totally legal, but I have not had any problems. Harbor Freight stuff is all made in China. Some of it is better than others. Their airbrush kit is very good. $10 and you get 5 bottles and 5 lids that exchange with Badger, with a quick-change gun. Good luck.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Thanks, No, no Harbour Freight here in CDN but I will look them up.

My concerns regarding a compressor are if it is reliable (has anyone used this type of model, and if so, comments?)and if it is made for airbrush use.

I operate with two other partners, I can and do get equipment as I need it, but I must make my decisions very carefully--if it breaks down I am S.O.L., so I'd rather pay more and sleep better at night.

Edward - I have a Campbell Hausfeld compressor I got from Canadian Tire. Had to get various adaptors for different airbrushes - but there are no limits to how low you can turn down the air. Noisy, but has a reservoir.

But my go to is an air gun - a Fuji with a turbine rather than a compressor - also noisy. But the air is warm with no moisture issues.

Also there is a Harbour Freight in Buffalo if you want something from there.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

My chocolate room is just one thin wall away from the guest's dining room in my shop, so I have to have something fairly quiet.

I don't mind spending serious coin for a serious comprssor, but I must have some kind of dependability. My partners are notoriously cheap, and if something ever breaks down it's almost impossible to get it repaired or replaced unless it is absolutely neccesary.

So I have been cruising the 'web and learning a bit about compressors. As with any other electro-mechanical device, I am highly suspicious of anything that carries only a 90 day warranty--and many of the sub $100 compressorsdo. Many more are factory refurbished. Most of the sites will list specs, and quite a few of the smaller ones are running at 80-98 decibles--waaay to loud. Oddly enough many tanning salons, nail salons, and airbrush tatoo parlours use smaller compressors.

Kerry, if I understand correctly, I need an external mix airbrush (the 350 is)and a compressor capable of max 40 psi?

On my next day off I'll be cruising some hobby shops that specialize in airbrushes, as well as tool houses. Might not make a purchase, but I don't like to buy something unless I get my grubby mitts on the item first and examine it.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

My chocolate room is just one thin wall away from the guest's dining room in my shop, so I have to have something fairly quiet.

I don't mind spending serious coin for a serious comprssor, but I must have some kind of dependability. My partners are notoriously cheap, and if something ever breaks down it's almost impossible to get it repaired or replaced unless it is absolutely neccesary.

So I have been cruising the 'web and learning a bit about compressors. As with any other electro-mechanical device, I am highly suspicious of anything that carries only a 90 day warranty--and many of the sub $100 compressorsdo. Many more are factory refurbished. Most of the sites will list specs, and quite a few of the smaller ones are running at 80-98 decibles--waaay to loud. Oddly enough many tanning salons, nail salons, and airbrush tatoo parlours use smaller compressors.

Kerry, if I understand correctly, I need an external mix airbrush (the 350 is)and a compressor capable of max 40 psi?

On my next day off I'll be cruising some hobby shops that specialize in airbrushes, as well as tool houses. Might not make a purchase, but I don't like to buy something unless I get my grubby mitts on the item first and examine it.

Sounds about right. Are you in Toronto? You can come and see my various airbrushing things.

I do a ton of airbrushing and I live in Calgary. I bought the universal 360 airbrush from the bargain basement on the Badger website. I use an air comnpressor that I bought at Michaels with a 50% coupon and paid about $130cad. I think it is the model 180 and it is all you need for airbrushing colours into a mold. You can look at my website and see what I have done using this compressor. it is noisy but not nearly as noisy as some of the bigger compressors!!

3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i hate this, ive been drooling for awhile now fro mthe pictures in this thread and ive tried my own for the past couple of days. thing is i cant get colored cocoa butter here! i did have some success coloring it on my own using food dye that has titanium dioxide as base but its never really that strong. it would still have some sort of transparency in it. i folded the coliring into the butter and let it dry a bit then started using it. any other suggestions? im almost ashamed to post my pics. oh and poly molds here are crap and hard to find plus not very many designs and cost sooo much!

Desserts...just keeps getting better and fatter!

I can't see it being overly expensive to order from Chef Rubber or even from places such as Home Chocolate Factory in England. I order from companies in Europe even though i am in North America. You can purchase the powder to mix in wht cocoa butter to keep shipping costs lower. Chef Rubber has an amazing collection of colours.

DSCN1142.jpg

The picture doesn't do justice to how shiny and sparkly these are. I had someone over yesterday to learn how to temper in the thermomix and since she has a side business making chocolates and makes a lot of hearts - I dragged out some little heart molds and decorated them up with the atomizer I found at the pottery supply place.

DSCN1145.jpg

The atomizer.

DSCN1136.jpg

Some fish we made with the tempered milk chocolate using some fairly heavy plastic molds that I picked up in a store at the Pacific Mall in Scarborough. The molds are made for custard or jelly I think.

Hi Kerry -

Does this atomizer work like the small one that folds in half? I ask because I used to use that one in print making but moisture definitely came out as well as what I was spraying. Because of this moisture, I thought it might cause problems with cocoa butter sprayed on chocolate. Did this occur for you? Thanks for sharing your wealth of information!

"But you have no chocolate? My dear, how will you ever manage?"

-- Marquise d Sévigné

"If I knew you were comin' I'd've baked a cake, hired a band, goodness sake..."

Hi Kerry -

Does this atomizer work like the small one that folds in half? I ask because I used to use that one in print making but moisture definitely came out as well as what I was spraying. Because of this moisture, I thought it might cause problems with cocoa butter sprayed on chocolate. Did this occur for you? Thanks for sharing your wealth of information!

I didn't have any issue with moisture - only with having enough breath! The tube you breath in is longer than the little folding ones so I suspect that helps.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

You breathe into it - whoa! That would take a lot of breath. I wonder if there's a way to hook it up to a compressor on low PSI? I'm sure some sort of tubing would work...

Kerry, thanks so much for sharing your clever ideas. The hearts and the fish are amazing! By the way, you can see the shine of the hearts in the container under the fish. Nice!

You breathe into it - whoa! That would take a lot of breath. I wonder if there's a way to hook it up to a compressor on low PSI? I'm sure some sort of tubing would work...

Kerry, thanks so much for sharing your clever ideas. The hearts and the fish are amazing! By the way, you can see the shine of the hearts in the container under the fish. Nice!

In doing some research I see some people do hook it up to a compressor. That would get you less splatter and more spray I suspect.

• 6 months later...

I had to post this right away. I had a Eureka!

I have been experimenting with Easter Eggs and have been trying to get that mirror shine to my eggs. I reread this entire thread the other night as one attempt after the other seemed to be failing. I was getting shine but not mirror. I don't have my spray gun set up so all of my attempts were by hand. I polished the molds first, I rubber a thin layer of cocoa butter on (with my finger and with cotton wool - tried it tempered and just melted), I painted on a layer of cocoa butter thinned chocolate, I painted on a layer of regular chocolate, I painted on 2 and 3 layers of chocolate - no mirror. I took heart when I read that a few people got better results from clean molds - so I washed my molds. No mirror.

The one result that became obvious was that painting a layer of chocolate in the mold first helped greatly with release marks. Because these egg molds have no design in them at all, release marks were an issue. Painting a layer first virtually eliminated them.

While working on another egg experiment with piping, I noticed that the piping definitely had the mirror shine to it. I tried to think of what I had done differently and the only thing I could think of was I had piped in the lines the day before...

I was now onto experiment number ??(something in the double digits!) so I didn't hold my breath. I painted 3 egg molds - 1 with 1 layer of tempered dark, 1 with 2 layers and 1 with 3 layers - and let them set at cool room temp. over night.

Today I filled the molds and became the human spinning machine (they're double molds). After setting them in the fridge I let them come to room temp. before unmolding. Holy sparkles!!! All 3 are shining like crazy!!

I don't think regular molding would be so fussy but double molding seems to come with an additional set of issues due to latent heat. Normally, I let my molds set at cool room temp. before putting them in the fridge. I can't do that with double molds. They need to have a fan and cool temperature or they will be out of temper inside the egg (I make the egg walls fairly thick so they're not fragile). I guess this latent heat was affecting the shine as well. If I paint on a layer of chocolate when shell molding, I can fill and dump the mold right after the painted layer has set and get a lovely shine. I'm just thrilled that I've figured it out with double molding!

Wanted to share the victory. :smile:

Today I filled the molds and became the human spinning machine (they're double molds). After setting them in the fridge I let them come to room temp. before unmolding. Holy sparkles!!! All 3 are shining like crazy!!

Wanted to share the victory. :smile:

Lovely victory. Photos, please!!! :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.