• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that showroom finish, 2004 - 2011

Skwerl

Well after carefully following this thread from the start I thought I should post up the outcome of my first experiment. They're a bit rough around the edges but I sure had fun with the red cocoa butter and gold dust. These were the only ones that were left by the time I remembered to take photos. I thought the red, gold and dark chocolate shells were a good match for the Chai tea infused ganache filling.

gallery_63295_6552_64471.jpg

Well after carefully following this thread from the start I thought I should post up the outcome of my first experiment.  They're a bit rough around the edges but I sure had fun with the red cocoa butter and gold dust.  These were the only ones that were left by the time I remembered to take photos.  I thought the red, gold and dark chocolate shells were a good match for the Chai tea infused ganache filling.

gallery_63295_6552_64471.jpg

Welcome vaulter1, nice to have you with us on eG.

I agree - the red, gold and dark chocolate makes a very classy presentation.

I have been trying to spray the inside of my molds to get a decent shine. I purchased a sprayer from JB Prince (as someone on here suggested). It was the Easy Spray HV2002. I mixed the chocolate & cocoa butter at several different ratios, and it didn't seem to matter. It kind of sputtered out and never really "sprayed". I tried a 70-30 ratio, a 50-50 ratio and tried using a coating. It didn't really matter.. it was pretty much just a sputter and it seemed to clog up after a few mins. I tried adjusting the spray setting on the sprayer but I am kind of lost. I have been making molded chocolates for years and this is the first time I have tried spraying.

Let me know what you guys think, I appreciate any input.

I have been trying to spray the inside of my molds to get a decent shine. I purchased a sprayer from JB Prince (as someone on here suggested). It was the Easy Spray HV2002. I mixed the chocolate & cocoa butter at several different ratios, and it didn't seem to matter. It kind of sputtered out and never really "sprayed". I tried a 70-30 ratio, a 50-50 ratio and tried using a coating. It didn't really matter.. it was pretty much just a sputter and it seemed to clog up after a few mins. I tried adjusting the spray setting on the sprayer but I am kind of lost.  I have been making molded chocolates for years and this is the first time I have tried spraying.

What sort of pressure is the compressor putting out?

I have been trying to spray the inside of my molds to get a decent shine. I purchased a sprayer from JB Prince (as someone on here suggested). It was the Easy Spray HV2002. I mixed the chocolate & cocoa butter at several different ratios, and it didn't seem to matter. It kind of sputtered out and never really "sprayed". I tried a 70-30 ratio, a 50-50 ratio and tried using a coating. It didn't really matter.. it was pretty much just a sputter and it seemed to clog up after a few mins. I tried adjusting the spray setting on the sprayer but I am kind of lost.  I have been making molded chocolates for years and this is the first time I have tried spraying.

It looks like the only info I could find is 4psi. That doesn't seem like very much.

It looks like the only info I could find is 4psi. That doesn't seem like very much.

Might be why it's sputtering - when I want mine to sputter, I turn back the PSI. What sort of compressor are you using? Might be that you need a more powerful one to get the output the airbrush needs for a liquid as viscous a chocolate.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I'm not familiar with the spray gun you are using but my gun requires 40psi at 100CFM. Your gun should come with that info. I think Kerry hit the nail on the head with her question. It sure does sound like you don't have enough pressure to atomize your mixture.

Let us know what you discover.

I'm not familiar with the spray gun you are using but my gun requires 40psi at 100CFM.  Your gun should come with that info.  I think Kerry hit the nail on the head with her question.  It sure does sound like you don't have enough pressure to atomize your mixture.

Well this compressor & gun is specifically sold on JB Prince's website for spraying chocolate. I had read in this forum that other people had good luck with it. Is it possible that the mixture is just to thick or thin?

I'm not familiar with the spray gun you are using but my gun requires 40psi at 100CFM.  Your gun should come with that info.  I think Kerry hit the nail on the head with her question.  It sure does sound like you don't have enough pressure to atomize your mixture.

Well this compressor & gun is specifically sold on JB Prince's website for spraying chocolate. I had read in this forum that other people had good luck with it. Is it possible that the mixture is just to thick or thin?

Looking on the Campbell Hausfeld site the operating instructions for that unit show an airflow control on the side of the gun behind the trigger and in front of the hose attachment. Try turning that one and see if you can increase the airflow.

I'm pretty sure the HV2002 uses a 2 stage turbine rather than a compressor, so the low PSI shouldn't be an issue, at least not with the supplied gun. Trying to force the chocolate through a thinner nozzle than the one they supply might be another story.

I've just bought an Earlex 1900, which is a much cheaper HVLP turbine system (with an even lower PSI), and had great success getting a fine, even spray - with 200g dark choc to 100g of cocoa butter - onto a cake at the weekend.

Haven't had a chance to try it on chocolate moulds yet, but based on test sprays onto card imagine it will work well. The only thing I'm not sure about is if the fact it has a bleeder mechanism (ie air flowing at all times) will mean there's enough pressure/flow control for splatter effects...

As HQ says it is advisable to warm the gun up to ensure there's no seizing once the liquid chocolate gets drawn up.

restaurant, private catering, consultancy
feast for the senses / blog

• 3 months later...
gallery_29688_3266_480218.jpg

white chocolate passion mint & mushroom caramel

gallery_29688_3266_1714620.jpg

gallery_29688_3266_1097895.jpg

milk chocolate whiskey & pb&j

gallery_29688_3266_421244.jpg

salt & pepper.  lemon myrtle

gallery_29688_3266_1459534.jpg

the restaurant has converted one of the rooms (the bathroom) on the second floor where a apartment used to be into a temperature controlled workspace.  The matfer r15  chocolate machine.

gallery_29688_3266_1357213.jpg

perhaps I should have cleaned up a bit before taking pics...think "lived in look" in the literal sense.

Very nice!

Am I seeing a double burner induction hob there?

Tell me more about mushroom caramel.

I have a Cook Tek induction hob. I feel it is absolutely the best available. Their service and knowlegable technicians are second to none. It is very useful for confections as it will maintain absolutely even temperatures. It is designed to work in high temperature, high humidity environments. I couldn't live without it.

Hope this helps

i've never posted on this thread, though i read it all the time! just made some chocolates this week, and actually tried out lebowitz banana recipe (where i will also post these photos for those of us who are comparing banana ganaches) but just wanted to "feel cool" and be a contributor since i love to stalk this thread all the time!! :raz::P

enjoy the eye candy and have a great weekend and happy 4th! :biggrin:

gallery_60295_6566_67184.jpg

gallery_60295_6566_99378.jpg

Norman Love does some exquisitely beautiful chocolates that are glossier than a new Ferarri.  Mine have the finish of a 1995 Mustang that hasn't been waxed-  Not bad, but nothing like Norman's.  A lot like a plain old Godiva, in fact.  How can I achieve that beautiful luster?  On a separate note, what dyes do you recommend using in cocoa butter?  The stuff I have (powdered, from Chocovision) doesn't dissolve well in cocoa butter, the colors are drab, and the results are less than wonderful.  Thanks for the suggestions, guys and gals.  :smile:

Norman Love Confections

I've had good luck with commercially prepared colored cocoa butters from both Tomric (New World Chocolate) and Chef Rubber. They have a wide variety of colors including "jewel" and "shimmer" (includes luster dust).

One particular technique which can really give you phenomenal shine is to spray a layer of thinned chocolate behind your color layer. If you are going to mold dark chocolate, create a mix of about 50% the same chocolate with 50% cocoa butter and spray it in mold before molding your shells. The way I understand it, the air brushing technique causes the mixture to crystallize very quickly which results in that beautiful shine. The back layer also gives your color great "depth".

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

• 2 weeks later...

I used the Chef Rubber red colour and I overheated the bottle. When I over heat the cocoa butter I can usually retemper the mixture by running it under cold water and then the airbrushing/compressor can finish the tempering job. This time, my cocoa butter would not set. After several hours the bottle is still liquid. I am going to have to table slab temper the whole content of the bottle. Has anyone ever experienced this? The PCB brand has never done this. I have done a lot of airbrushing and this is the first time this has happened. The remedy will be to hand temper the whole bottle.

I used the Chef Rubber red colour and I overheated the bottle. When I over heat the  cocoa butter I can usually retemper the mixture by running it under cold water and then the airbrushing/compressor can finish the tempering job.  This time, my cocoa butter would not set.  After several hours the bottle is still liquid.  I am going to have to table slab temper the whole content of the bottle.  Has anyone ever experienced this?  The PCB brand has never done this. I have done a lot of airbrushing and this is the first time this has happened. The remedy will be to hand temper the whole bottle.

I've had some I warmed too much and had to wait a long time for it to harden again, and it usually drops all the colour to the bottom when that happens. You might find that if you just give it a shake every 15 minutes or so until it starts to firm up, that you can avoid having to retemper.

I now received mycompressor-just a cheapy 35$ ordered from badger but not a badger. So I want to try airbrushing this week. I am feeling hesitant. I went overall the threads Icould find and came up with this:

1. Some people spray plain cacao butter first - Does this not leave a cloudy layer? Does it make a difference of any sort?

2. Either first or after cb layer, spray one color and let set well

3. Spray a second color? Or should some in between layer be used?

4. When and how should I use the silver interference layer?

5. Spray a white layer if I will use dark chocolate?

6. Use dark chocolate for shells.

I tried to search for all answers and got muddled.

Anyone care to list their steps?

Pastry girl: when you did your green marbles, you wrote, swipe with green (I also want to do this method) and then white chocolate swipe. Is this white chocolate or white cb? I passed this picture onto ourforum here and everyone was shocked and has never seen anything like it. Well this technique is not known here.

sorry this came twice!I now received mycompressor-just a cheapy 35$ ordered from badger but not a badger. So I want to try airbrushing this week. I am feeling hesitant. I went overall the threads Icould find and came up with this:

1. Some people spray plain cacao butter first - Does this not leave a cloudy layer? Does it make a difference of any sort?

Pastry girl: when you did your green marbles, you wrote, swipe with green (I also want to do this method) and then white chocolate swipe. Is this white chocolate or white cb? I passed this picture onto our forum here and everyone was shocked and has never seen anything like it. Well this technique is not known here.

Thanks

Edited by Lior (log)

Pastry girl: when you did your green marbles, you wrote, swipe with green (I also want to do this method) and then white chocolate swipe. Is this white chocolate or white cb? I passed this picture onto our forum here and everyone was shocked and has never seen anything like it. Well this technique is not known here.

Thanks

It was green cocoa butter then white chocolate.

sorry this came twice!I now received mycompressor-just a cheapy 35$ ordered from badger but not a badger. So I want to try airbrushing this week. I am feeling hesitant. I went overall the threads Icould find and came up with this:

Thanks

1: If you want to spray 'neutral' cocoa butter first you should make sure it's a nice thin layer. An airbrush should be good for that though (as opposed to a paint sprayer).

2: You can overlap coloured cocoa butter/chocolate sprays. Try not to go overboard though because the layers of fat aren't pleasant to eat. Two to three layers isn't excessive though.

3: You can use the metallic powders before the first coat (for a prominent metallic look) or between coats. Keep in mind if it's between, say, coats 2 and 3 you won't much of what you put in (though the effect would be good).

4: Before adding a metallic powder, let the cocoa butter layer set until it's at least dry to the touch, if not the powder will cling to the unset layer and give a blotchy effect. To add the metallic I use a brush to pick up the powder then tap it into the mould, to save on powder you can place the next mould on top, flip the two moulds and bang out the excess straight into the mould. (yes that could probably be explained clearer... :hmmm: )

5: If you back a white spray with dark, you'll get grey. Visually it's pleasant, but not necessarily appetising.

6: You don't have to mould in dark chocolate. Milk or white works too. Or, if you wanted a colourful dark chocolate you could even spray the coloured cocoa butter, brush the inside with white chocolate and then mould with dark.

I now received mycompressor-just a cheapy 35$ ordered from badger but not a badger. So I want to try airbrushing this week. I am feeling hesitant. I went overall the threads Icould find and came up with this:

I never spray plain first, but if it's sprayed, rather than painted on - it shouldn't be cloudy (I know this from trying to paint a bunny mold with cocoa butter - that's cloudy)

I just spray or splatter my first colour - at this point you can use a q-tip or other tool to remove some colour while still wet. If you spray the second layer while the first layer is still wet - you get a different effect - not necessarily a bad thing. You can also spray with just air - that spreads out any splatters and gives a different effect.

No in between layer needed.

I use the interference powders dry on the surface of unmolded chocolates.  If I wanted to put in the molds first - I'd mix with vodka and air brush in.

White helps the colours show up - but is not always necessary - experiment with and without to see the effect.

Optional, you can use dark, milk or white.

Pastry girl: when you did your green marbles, you wrote, swipe with green (I also want to do this method) and then white chocolate swipe. Is this white chocolate or white cb? I passed this picture onto ourforum here and everyone was shocked and has never seen anything like it. Well this technique is not known here.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)