• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that showroom finish, 2004 - 2011

Skwerl

okay, I'll throw my hat into the ring with some stuff I've been working on lately. still playingwith finishes and learning.

chocs.jpg

Very nice! What are you using for an airbrush?

okay, I'll throw my hat into the ring with some stuff I've been working on lately. still playingwith finishes and learning.

chocs.jpg

Very nice. Do you mind describing your technique.

On the ridged domes, did you just spray half the mold? Did you have to block off half?

On the yello/green ones geodesic domes same technique?

Are the colored ones white chooclate?

And the round domes, is that luster dust?

chocs.jpg

On the ridged domes, did you just spray half the mold? Did you have to block off half?

Thanks.

Yeah, the ridge domes are just half sprayed, but it's all in the angle you hold the airbrush. The mold just blocks the cocoa butter from getting in the cavities if you hold it at a low enough angle. the badger250 sprays with a wide enough mist that you get a nice fade effect with it.

Same idea with both geo domes as well. Started spraying with green and did the other half in yellow. Also did them in red to yellow - which came out more red to orange.

the geo domes are dark choc, actually, as are the red with the white stripe.

and yeah, the round domes with the gold is luster dust. I think next time I'll spray them with uncolored cocoa butter before hitting them with the dust. I'm trying for a "gold marble" look that I've seen before, just not sure how to execute it just right yet.

Ive got some close up shots too, if anyone wants to see detail.

chocs.jpg

Thanks.

Yeah, the ridge domes are just half sprayed, but it's all in the angle you hold the airbrush. The mold just blocks the cocoa butter from getting in the cavities if you hold it at a low enough angle. the badger250 sprays with a wide enough mist that you get a nice fade effect with it.

Same idea with both geo domes as well. Started spraying with green and did the other half in yellow. Also did them in red to yellow - which came out more red to orange.

the geo domes are dark choc, actually, as are the red with the white stripe.

and yeah, the round domes with the gold is luster dust. I think next time I'll spray them with uncolored cocoa butter before hitting them with the dust. I'm trying for a "gold marble" look that I've seen before, just not sure how to execute it just right yet.

Ive got some close up shots too, if anyone wants to see detail.

Closeups are always appreciated! :biggrin:

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

agree that closeups are always appreciated!

Thanks for the description of the technique. Changing the angle of the mold seems so obvious after you mention it!

Question on the red/orange ones. To get the red/orange to 'show' through, do you find you have to put a really heavy layer of cocoa butter? Assuming dark chocolate, I always end up spraying or painting white cocoa butter behind my reds/yellows to get the color layer to show up. but maybe I'm missing a trick.

Edited by ejw50 (log)

Thanks for the description of the technique.  Changing the angle of the mold  seems so obvious after you mention it!

Question on the red/orange ones.  To get the red/orange to 'show' through, do you find you have to put a really heavy layer of cocoa butter?  Assuming dark chocolate,  I always end up spraying or painting white cocoa butter behind my reds/yellows to get the color layer to show up.  but maybe I'm missing a trick.

I don't know how it would work with spraying, but when I finger-paint moulds in yellows/greens etc and then back off with dark, I always mix a bit of white chocolate into the coloured cocoa butter to help make the colour stand out a bit more. Like I said though, I'm not sure how that would work when you are spraying.

Thanks for the description of the technique.   Changing the angle of the mold  seems so obvious after you mention it!

Question on the red/orange ones.  To get the red/orange to 'show' through, do you find you have to put a really heavy layer of cocoa butter?  Assuming dark chocolate,  I always end up spraying or painting white cocoa butter behind my reds/yellows to get the color layer to show up.  but maybe I'm missing a trick.

I don't know how it would work with spraying, but when I finger-paint moulds in yellows/greens etc and then back off with dark, I always mix a bit of white chocolate into the coloured cocoa butter to help make the colour stand out a bit more. Like I said though, I'm not sure how that would work when you are spraying.

I usually add a little bit of white cocoa butter to my dark colors to help them stand out against the dark chocolate. (For both spraying and other techniques)

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I'm still trying to get the hang of airbrushing. I tried out using an angle when airbrushing to get two tone chocolates, but I guess that the angle was too steep. I ended up with one color on one side and the other on the other side. And then when I put a layer of white in back, I ended up with a white stripe down the middle! On top of that the orange cocoa butter was much thinner than I expected when I sprayed it and it started to pool in the bottom of the mold. I guess that it was probably too hot. Kind of an interesting effect, though. This is obviously going to take a lot of practice!

The green ones were just green backed by white.

Sorry about the over exposed picture. Photos of my work are not my strong point!

gallery_24635_6358_30394.jpg

May not have been what you were aiming for - but I really like the effect you got on the hearts.

I agree. I really like the hearts. It's kinda hard to tell what's going on with the other ones because of the pattern of the mold, but I see nothing wrong with them either!

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

May not have been what you were aiming for - but I really like the effect you got on the hearts.

I agree. I really like the hearts. It's kinda hard to tell what's going on with the other ones because of the pattern of the mold, but I see nothing wrong with them either!

And I'll third that sentiment - very nice effect, I'd say.

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

gallery_60187_6088_329692.jpg

These are my latest for Valentines. Have you ever noticed how every flaw shows in a photo? :biggrin:

gallery_60187_6088_258101.jpg

I tried a new flavor--Marshmallow caramel. I shelled in dark chocolate because of the sweetness, but I might also try it in milk. You can see in the cut one that part of the cocoa butter stuck to the mold. (that is why I cut that one). It was because the cocoa butter was too cool when I sprayed.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Wow, gorgeous! Like little gems - wonderful!

John DePaula
--------------------

Those are awesome!  Can you describe your techniques?  It looks like the lilac and white ones are airbrushed, but I can't really tell on the others.

The deep purple was violet luster dust brushed into the mold then shelled in dark chocolate. There was also a swipe of harvest purple.

Red was ruby red sprayed in and backed with white. Might have been more interesting backed in black?

lilac was harvest purple sprayed (but not very well) and backed with white

pink and yellow was just splattered and shelled in white chocolate.

I am far from an expert, but I find that the cocoa butter does much better when very warm. I don't check the temp, but I want it really runny. It tempers in the nozzle. I need to get in and around all the mold a bit better. If it starts to cool, it plugs the airbrush and makes the chocolate stick in the molds.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

I have a question for you spraying experts... once you've sprayed, how do you let it set up? In the fridge or at room temp.? Do you think it's important to fill the mold to make shells right away or can you leave your sprayed molds for awhile and get to them later? I figure a quick hit with the hair dryer before filling should create a good bond if you haven't left it for too long. Is that logical thinking?? :blink:

I have a question for you spraying experts... once you've sprayed, how do you let it set up?  In the fridge or at room temp.?  Do you think it's important to fill the mold to make shells right away or can you leave your sprayed molds for awhile and get to them later?  I figure a quick hit with the hair dryer before filling should create a good bond if you haven't left it for too long.  Is that logical thinking?? :blink:

I'm no expert, but I've been spraying and when I'm done with that I start working on tempering the chocolate. By time that is done, about 45 minutes or so, I go ahead and make the shells. I've also done the spraying and let them sit overnight at room temperature before making the shells. That has worked well also. The only time that I had a problem was when I hit the mold with the hair dryer before making the shells. Whenever, I use the hair dryer I seem to get hot spots and have trouble releasing. I suspect I'm untempering some of whatever cocoa butter or chocolate is in the mold.

I'm no expert either - just getting over my fear of sprayguns - but I have always done them ahead, then filled them at some later date, often days or weeks later. I don't bother to refrigerate right after spraying - not until I'm molding later. I haven't been reheating the sprayed molds before adding the shell, but for the white chocolate in the future I might give it a try. I figure dark chocolate is probably warm enough to soften the coloured cocoa butter without any help.

I'm no expert either - just getting over my fear of sprayguns - but I have always done them ahead, then filled them at some later date, often days or weeks later.  I don't bother to refrigerate right after spraying - not until I'm molding later.  I haven't been reheating the sprayed molds before adding the shell, but for the white chocolate in the future I might give it a try.  I figure dark chocolate is probably warm enough to soften the coloured cocoa butter without any help.

I usually spray all my molds, then days later shell them. It could be weeks after that before filling them.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

What process did you use to get the layer of marshmallow in the heart? They are beautiful looking.

Just pipe in homemade gelatine marshmallow then top with Kerry's piped caramel.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

What process did you use to get the layer of marshmallow in the heart? They are beautiful looking.

Just pipe in homemade gelatine marshmallow then top with Kerry's piped caramel.

Did you cook the marshmallow to a lower temperature to get something that would be pipeable while cool enough to add to molds?

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40