• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that showroom finish, 2004 - 2011

Skwerl

Everyonce in a while I'll make chocolate 'cups' that way - allow the chocolate to harden on the baloon, then pop it (i've found that the balloons made in mexico work better than those from china - i'm not sure i want to know why...). Pipe out a 'handle' and use chocolate to 'glue' it to the cup, then fill the cup with a mousse or some such. Functional and edible, guests love it!

Everyonce in a while I'll make chocolate 'cups' that way - allow the chocolate to harden on the baloon, then pop it (i've found that the balloons made in mexico work better than those from china - i'm not sure i want to know why...).  Pipe out a 'handle' and use chocolate to 'glue' it to the cup, then fill the cup with a mousse or some such.  Functional and edible, guests love it!

must be the amount of lead or antifreeze in the chinese balloons! :blink::raz:

must be the amount of lead or antifreeze in the chinese balloons!  :blink:  :raz:

Actually, on a serious note, I was just wondering about that: are balloons designed to be inflated by mouth foodsafe by definition? Could you use them like this in a commercial operation, or would you have to source special "foodsafe rubber" balloons (no doubt at 10x the cost!).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

must be the amount of lead or antifreeze in the chinese balloons!   :blink:  :raz:

Actually, on a serious note, I was just wondering about that: are balloons designed to be inflated by mouth foodsafe by definition? Could you use them like this in a commercial operation, or would you have to source special "foodsafe rubber" balloons (no doubt at 10x the cost!).

And what about condoms - are they considered to be food safe?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The cookie is icewine buttercream. The one on the far right with 1/2 blue the other choc is Earl Grey taken from "chocolate obsession", The heart next to the cookie is "rose" I used the rose oil sample I received from Amoretti(?). In the front is green chocolate drizzling down a (cherry) mould! This is mint buttercream (my 10 yr old,Ashley, her favourite). The bubbles, next to the mint buttercream is a champagne truffle, and to the left of that is a coconut ganache truffle.

Hello everyone this is my very first post here on egullet!!!

I have been reading all your posts for the last few months very eagerly ( and have yet to make a dent in the baking forum threads, lol).

I have learned so much from you all, and feel very greatful to have you all as a resource, a veritable wealth of knowledge, thank you all.

Anyhow, I am a thoroughly addicted new chocolatier. I took a few workshops in the Fall, on Belgian chocolate making, and around the same time found you all, I have not looked back since.

Christmas was really fun time to experiment and make a fair number of gifts for family and friends around 500, good start.

The techniques I have seen in here as well as some of the great books I have in my collection now, Grewelling's and Wybauw's Great experience, have led to some fun experiences and lots of creative release in the kitchen.

Chocolate is great!!!!

I would love to make this new passion into a business too , one day soon.

I actually just got through my first Valentine's Day where I decided to try and sell some of my creations. WOW!!!

I was not prepared for the response, I spent a few 15hr days last week ( with my great wife's help) filling the avalanche of orders.

Boy does packaging chocolates ever take a long time, great experience though.

Anyway I really just thought this would be a great time to share a few of my chocolates, my babies, to the people who helped me get this far.

Well i can't figure out how to post pics? :angry:

If anyone can help i'll have my pictures up ASAP!!!

Peter

Well i can't figure out how to post pics?  :angry:

Peter

Don't feel bad... it's needlessly complicated. The topic you seek is here->ImageGullet Tips and Notes.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Hello everyone this is my very first post here on egullet!!!

I have been reading all your posts for the last few months very eagerly ( and have yet to make a dent in the baking forum threads, lol).

I have learned so much from you all, and feel very greatful to have you all as a resource, a veritable wealth of knowledge, thank you all.

Anyhow, I am a thoroughly addicted new chocolatier.  I took a few workshops in the Fall, on Belgian chocolate making, and around the same time found you all, I have not looked back since.

Christmas was really fun time to experiment and make a fair number of gifts for family and friends around 500, good start.

The techniques I have seen in here as well as some of the great books I have in my collection now, Grewelling's and Wybauw's Great experience, have led to some fun experiences and lots of creative release in the kitchen.

Chocolate is great!!!!

I would love to make this new passion into a business too , one day soon.

I actually just got through my first Valentine's Day where I decided to try and sell some of my creations.  WOW!!!

I was not prepared for the response, I spent a few 15hr days last week ( with my great wife's help) filling the avalanche of orders.

Boy does packaging chocolates ever take a long time, great experience though.

Anyway I really just thought this would be a great time to share a few of my chocolates, my babies,  to the people who helped me get this far.

Well i can't figure out how to post pics?  :angry:

Peter

Welcome Peter. Can't wait to see your pictures.

Here i go again to try and post my first pictures.

My Norman Love tribute

gallery_58557_5721_8785.jpg

Ahhhh i think it's working now.

This is my 1lb box for Valentine's day

gallery_58557_5721_68514.jpg

Here are some close ups of my babies

This one was with a magnetic mold, filled with blackberry fondant

gallery_58557_5721_4590.jpg

These are my soft caramels

gallery_58557_5721_34378.jpg

Thanks to Gfron for helping me figure out how to post pics.

Here are a few more pictures.

This one was just painted into the mold, also a caramel

gallery_58557_5721_81667.jpg

I thought it was an interesting effect

My spackled peanut butter and hazelnut butter cups

gallery_58557_5721_100914.jpg

These are by far my favourite, sooo tasty

The effect my chocolate making has on my son Riley (hence Smiley Riley).

They make him delirious!!!

gallery_58557_5721_5428.jpg

Those are terrible! I see specs all over them! Oh wait, that's dust on my computer screen. There has to be a flaw somewhere - man, those are absolutely stunning. Be sure to post crap for us next time so we can feel better about ourselves. :wink:

Those are terrible!  I see specs all over them!  Oh wait, that's dust on my computer screen.  There has to be a flaw somewhere - man, those are absolutely stunning.  Be sure to post crap for us next time so we can feel better about ourselves.  :wink:

These are my nice ones, i've been practicing for 2 months.

The early ones were not near the same calibre.

Practice, practice, practice.

Inspired by some beautiful Valentine's Day chocolates Truffle Guy posted in another thread, I experimented with some new-to-me techniques this past weekend. I have usually either used the airbrush or hand-decorated with a paint brush, so this was my first attempt at doing both. My brush strokes still need some work, but overall I'm pleased with the general idea...

gallery_7436_3666_203717.jpg

Are there specific brushes people have found work well for them? I picked up a bunch of random brushes, and as I get more focused on trying to get a certain effect, I find I often don't have quite the right brush, and i'm wondering what your favorites are.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Inspired by some beautiful Valentine's Day chocolates Truffle Guy posted in another thread, I experimented with some new-to-me techniques this past weekend. I have usually either used the airbrush or hand-decorated with a paint brush, so this was my first attempt at doing both. My brush strokes still need some work, but overall I'm pleased with the general idea...

Are there specific brushes people have found work well for them? I picked up a bunch of random brushes, and as I get more focused on trying to get a certain effect, I find I often don't have quite the right brush, and i'm wondering what your favorites are.

ttt for anybody's experiences. My techniques are purely airbrush or hand-decorated with paint brush and lustre dust (similar to the "Norman love tribute" above. If anybody has any tricks they'd like to share w ith 'splashing' or more detailed designs, I've love to hear them.

ttt for anybody's experiences. My techniques are purely airbrush or hand-decorated with paint brush and lustre dust (similar to the "Norman love tribute" above. If anybody has any tricks they'd like to share w ith 'splashing' or more detailed designs, I've love to hear them.

Those are very nice!!

I too am just as curious as to how to do the different effects.

I just bought an airbrush and am waiting to unmold my first exeperiments.

I used a toothpick to dribble drops of cocoa butter, and also a stiff toothbrush to spackle the peanutbutter cups.

Any other ideas?