• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolates with that showroom finish, 2004 - 2011

Skwerl

sdelnt.jpg

I've just tried your suggestion.  I used 1 ounce of cocoa butter and apporximately 1 teaspoon of bronze powder and mixed them together.  But after mixing for a long time, the color of it is still not well balanced,  some of it are obviously deeper in color and other's are lighter (as the picture shown).  Did I add too much or too little bronze powder?  Usually what would be a normal ratio of the bronze powder and cocoa butter in the mixture?

I'm sorry for having so much questions and thank you so much for your help.

gallery_34671_2649_45270.jpg

This is the effect with gold metallic powder in cocoa butter, a couple of drops in the bottom of the mold then smear it with a finger. After it has dried I put milk chocolate in the mold.

Here is my first successful attempt at colored chocolates:

Shiny_two.jpg

bunch.jpg

I used the Chef Rubber Artisan colors, finger smearing red, setting it in the fridge, then smearing orange. After a second setting I sprayed yellow as an undercoat.

I think that the white chocolate I used for the shell really punched up the colors beautifully. I tried the same with bittersweet first, but the chocolate was so thick that I couldn't make a shell. I'll probably have to thin it with cocoa butter. The colors were much more subdued over the dark chocolate.

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread and the demos. You made this possible on my second try!

• Like 1

gallery_23496_1650_51363.jpg

Ok I hope this works.

I finally got some pics of some of my chocolates, I suck at photography. There are a few more in Imagegullet, but you'll have to figure out how to see them yourself, since I don't know.

I love chickens.

another quick question...i can't remember if i posted this on another thread, but i like the stuff from pcb, but am not doing anything professionally at the moment. i don't need 25 sheets of any one design...

what do you do with all of the sheets? just hope that you'll use them...somehow...sometime?

in other words, choux, are you a professional?

i just wish they did a sample pack with like 5 each of 5 designs or something. that's the thing that's keeping me from buying this stuff...just too large a quantity for me to experiment with at home.

how do you find their customer service? do you order on their web site? have you called them up? how is their english? what about shipping charges? their prices seem reasonable other than that...i have so many questions.

thanks!

These are beautiful and fun! Its great to see personality in the chocolates. Thanks for sharing them. I also have the issue of buying a box of transfer sheets and then not needing more than a couple. I've used a few as regular acytate for lining dessert forms, but I would prefer to just go on a chocolate binge. I originally bought mine to make chocolate sushi which I've posted HERE.

Or you can see more pics at my site HERE

another quick question...i can't remember if i posted this on another thread, but i like the stuff from pcb, but am not doing anything professionally at the moment.  i don't need 25 sheets of any one design...

what do you do with all of the sheets?  just hope that you'll use them...somehow...sometime?

in other words, choux, are you a professional?

i just wish they did a sample pack with like 5 each of 5 designs or something.  that's the thing that's keeping me from buying this stuff...just too large a quantity for me to experiment with at home.

how do you find their customer service?  do you order on their web site?  have you called them up?  how is their english?  what about shipping charges?  their prices seem reasonable other than that...i have so many questions.

thanks!

alanamoana,

There are some companies that sell the transfer sheets individually. Typically, you pay more but you can "sample" many designs and not have excess inventory. You can try Beryls Beryls and also Fancy Flours Fancy Flours although it is more expensive this way. I've tried to get custom packs like you request from PCB distributors and American Chocolate Designs but they just don't do it. I have quite a selection and would be happy to send you a few sheets of some different types (I have 15+ different styles including PCB and ACD designs) if you want to work something out. If you are looking for variety rather than 25 sheets of 1 design, I can give you many different designs and you could just order me 25 sheets of a design I use. Let me know if you think that might help you.

alanamoana,

I have quite a selection and would be happy to send you a few sheets of some different types (I have 15+ different styles including PCB and ACD designs) if you want to work something out.  If you are looking for variety rather than 25 sheets of 1 design, I can give you many different designs and you could just order me 25 sheets of a design I use.  Let me know if you think that might help you.

Woooo, you might be on to something very cool here Truffle Guy. What if we did some exchanging among ourselves? (right this second I don't have any sheets to trade but....) I'd love to participate in something like this!! I wonder how many people here would be interested?

Me... hand waving in the air...

I, too, don't buy any of the transfer sheets because I don't want just one design to play with. Great if you make chocolates for a living, boring if you are just testing out. I also want to use them on strips to put around cakes.

I also don't have any to trade, but I'd be willing to buy a pack to have something to trade with...

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Me... hand waving in the air...

I, too, don't buy any of the transfer sheets because I don't want just one design to play with.  Great if you make chocolates for a living, boring if you are just testing out.  I also want to use them on strips to put around cakes.

I also don't have any to trade, but I'd be willing to buy a pack to have something to trade with...

I bought mine from Albert Uster and it was a combo pack - 5 designs - 5 sheets of each.

AITransfers

I've had chefs buy that assorted pack for me previously..........I think the thing I'm most looking for, is the introduction of bright color and contemporary patterns. Right now I make my own "transfer sheets" using cocoa butters, but a splash pattern is the only one that matches a professional transfer sheet (looks wise). .............I still have more on that I want to explore......just haven't found the time like I'd like to.

I've had chefs buy that assorted pack for me previously..........I think the thing I'm most looking for, is the introduction of bright color and contemporary patterns.No one has an assorted pack with those, do they?

Right now I make my own "transfer sheets" using cocoa butters, but a splash pattern is the only one that matches a professional transfer sheet (looks wise). .............I still have more on that I want to explore......just haven't found the time like I'd like to.

i agree with you wendy, the assortment from albert uster just isn't as "pretty" as the bulk transfer sheets from pcb. pcb seems to have the most contemporary, the most variety and the most vibrant colors. darn them...

when you make your own, wendy, do you use the firm acetate sheets? my old pastry chef had these softer sheets which i like to use...i'm wondering if those were just "guitar sheets"?!

i have a 100 pack of the firm acetate to use up first!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I just ordered my first colors ( chef rubber) and some smooth mold ( bakedeco),I cant wait to try out all the great tips and suggestions I found on this thred , I guess the only way to achieve good results is alot of patience , dedication and just try try try right?

WIll post results as soon as I can get my self to do some experiments.

Wish me luck ))

Vanessa

Are these luater dust suitable for chocolates ( sorry I stil get confused with all the different products out there)?

http://pastrychef.com/Catalog/luster_dust_...set_3995187.htm

And what about this price for a kit of PCB colored cocoa butter?

http://pastrychef.com/Catalog/colored_coco...set_3995190.htm

Little bit expensive :shock: .

Average price here in the USA?It might be cheaper to buy directly form PCB .

What about the quality of these?

http://pastrychef.com/Catalog/candy_color_set_3754141.htm

Hehe I know I know too many questions, but I am not in a hurry ( not too much anyway ) and Iam willing to wait patiently for an answer for someone that has more experience , and since we are talking about investment I want to be sure before buying something that I can use or isnt good.

Thank you thank you :smile:

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

Ok this is my first experiment with some colors.The molds are not smooth but I wanted to try anyway.

Need to work on it , and some of the color chipped ,and stayed in the molds.

The ones that didnt chip were the one were the layer of cocoa butter and color was thinner.

gallery_44494_2818_15665.jpg

Vanessa

Since I didnt order a white color ,I was thinking of ordering some pcb products from the company here in the usa , I am gonna call the number that was provided here earlier on this thread.

Can somone with some experience in that field tell me if this will be ok .

I wanted to order some of the shiny powder and the white cocoa butter,are this going to be a better choise than the one below?Talking about the duster of course.

Thank you )sorry many questions but money is an issue more or less and I am already taking my chances ordering stuff that I am not familiar with ( gotta to start somewhere right)so I will really appreaciate any suggestion or advice form someone is familiar with these products and their application.

Thank you

Vanessa

Since I didnt order a white color ,I was thinking of ordering some pcb products from the company here in the usa , I am gonna call the number that was provided here earlier on this thread.

Can somone with some experience in that field tell me if this will be ok .

I wanted to order some of the shiny powder and the white cocoa butter,are this going to be a better choise than the one below?Talking about the duster of course.

Thank you )sorry many questions but money is an issue more or less and I am already taking my chances ordering stuff that I am not familiar with ( gotta to start somewhere right)so I will really appreaciate any suggestion or advice form someone is familiar with these products and their application.

Thank you

Vanessa,

I'm not sure about the white in cocoa butter, but I have the white PCB powder that I simply mix with some melted cocoa butter, work it with a small offset spatula on my marble to remove any lumps, then keep in a baby food jar and heat in the microwave when needed. I have the primary colours in PCB powder (and green because try as I might I can't mix an acceptable leaf green from the primaries). I have some gold powder and some pearl powder that I use when I want to get a lusterous finish. I just mix then all with cocoa butter in the same way.

Kerry

• 2 weeks later...

vanessa,

are you just brushing the luster dust straight into the molds? they look beautiful and very evenly coated (on the ones that you want to look that way) on the other ones that are striped or speckled, did you just flick the dust into the mold?

vanessa,

are you just brushing the luster dust straight into the molds?  they look beautiful and very evenly coated (on the ones that you want to look that way) on the other ones that are striped or speckled, did you just flick the dust into the mold?

I just brush the dust directly into the mold ( no coca butter , I have tried they came very good but I prefer the effect without the butter)

The ones with the speckle are hand painted , i did some painting and some spray gun in those and the one on the top , I still have some trouble with the air gun , maybe not the right type need to keep trying.

Vanessa

very nice chocolates. I can never get mine to look so good. what are you using to pour the ganache in to get the shape? i've used 8x8 cake pans and a expandable cake ring, but they don't come out quite right.

Ok I hope this works.

I finally got some pics of some of my chocolates, I suck at photography. There are a few more in Imagegullet, but you'll have to figure out how to see them yourself, since I don't know.

I love chickens.

very cool. i've orded from that site before. i also see these on their site. would these work as well?

http://pastrychef.com/Catalog/confectioner...mes_3152850.htm

very nice chocolates. I can never get mine to look so good. what are you using to pour the ganache in to get the shape? i've used 8x8 cake pans and a expandable cake ring, but they don't come out quite right.

I use confectionary bars and the really help and allow you to get the perfect thickness. In addition you can pour layers and have them come out perfect.  Here is a link:  Confection Bars

Ok I hope this works.

I love chickens.